Thread: Selling Crescent?

Selling Crescent?

Any truth to the rumor that the Village is selling Crescent, between Glenwood and Prospect, to a developer in order to develop the McChesney & Miller parcel?

That rumor has been floating around for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Any truth to the rumor that the Village is selling Crescent, between Glenwood and Prospect, to a developer in order to develop the McChesney & Miller parcel?
    What's the deal with McChesney & Miller? Isn't it still open?

Forum Regular
    McChesney's is still open, and I ordered my Thanksgiving turkey from there, but...boy, those shelves are often quite bare. And too many times in recent memory, the refrigeration system has malfunctioned so that they only have a few gallons of milk in back and everything else has been tossed out. I try to patronize it as often as I can, but it's tough. No produce to speak of, and just an overall sense of not enough bank to fully stock the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    That rumor has been floating around for quite a while.
    I didn't ask if the rumor was floating around and for how long, I asked if there was any truth to it.

There certainly is truth to the fact that there is a rumor floating around. As far as the accuracy of said rumor . . . not certain.

If only there was someone on the BB who was in the know about village matters. CLAiMs As TO the validity of this rumor is yet to be seen.

Ah, Yoss, how you crack me up. Obviously, if I felt that I could speak to the accuracy of the story, I would. Given that the village manager was quoted in the story saying, "Next Generation asked for meetings with trustees to get a consensus from the Village Board on what works. It's all still preliminary, but it is a significant project given Next Generation's track record. They've done some great projects in Aurora and Naperville," it's pretty safe to assume that the possibility of such a project exists. With regard to a municipality funding part of a project that they think would benefit said municipality . . . common as the sun rising in the east.

http://nxtgendevelopment.com/

It's unfortunate that we can't keep some sort of grocery or small supermarket in the CBD, even if it were just the ground floor of a residential development. You could look at McChesney and Miller as a failure, but I think it has more to do with the tired old store with lousy selection than the location. A Trader Joe's similar to the Oak Park location would have been perfect there... But we already have one.

It's just one more thing making a "walkable" lifestyle in central Glen Ellyn more difficult. Add a Walgreen's/CVS and a small grocery to the center of town, and we would be in good shape.

I agree Glenly. A grocery store and drug store in walking distance are very important. We will be weighing things like that down the road when deciding whether to buy a condo near the CBD when (if) we ever retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    It's unfortunate that we can't keep some sort of grocery or small supermarket in the CBD, even if it were just the ground floor of a residential development. You could look at McChesney and Miller as a failure, but I think it has more to do with the tired old store with lousy selection than the location. A Trader Joe's similar to the Oak Park location would have been perfect there... But we already have one.

It's just one more thing making a "walkable" lifestyle in central Glen Ellyn more difficult. Add a Walgreen's/CVS and a small grocery to the center of town, and we would be in good shape.
    Any business that has survived since 1862 can't be considered a failure...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    No, not a failure, but having lived in GE since 2003, I haven't been in McChesney even five times. I live SORO but take the train daily - but I have never stopped at McChesney after work. Of course, I couldn't figure out how that quasi-7/11 across the train station (by Park) failed - unless it was totally totally awful management. I did stop there once but realized the milk was expired, and they were never open early enough to get coffee. Go figure.