Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any news about Dominicks?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class southge's Avatar
    So all of the Mariano haters can ignore this post.

About 3 months ago, my stepson quit Whole Foods and started working at Mariano's in their Pastry Department. He quit Whole Foods because of the inconsistent scheduling, he still has a lot of respect for their philosophy. Since he has been working at Mariano's he has noticed that they have several extremely well priced organic products. Organic eggs are $2 a dozen, organic milk is $5 a gallon, and organic butter is $3 a pound. Also all the meat behind the counter is ground instore. Anything natural has not been fed antibiotics in the last 120 days. I still do shop at whole foods. But Mariano's is even beating Costco prices on certain Organic items. I do wish there was just one place I could do all of my shopping at for food.

Who hates Mariano's? I just am not thrilled by their take out stuff and salad bar. Otherwise, nice place. Prices are in line with Jewel and the late Dominick's. Isn't too difficult to beat WF's prices. Although Sunset might have a hard time at it. Went into WF a week ago for a bunch of kale and ended up buying 2/3 of a bag worth of items. $45...thought that was pretty funny. Mariano's just isn't all that different to me to make the journey unless I feel like having an adventure across village lines.

Agreed with what Clamato said. In fact, I take back every negative comment I've ever said about him.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Glenly Ellynby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Mariano's just isn't all that different to me to make the journey unless I feel like having an adventure across village lines.
    With Dominick's closed, the only closer option for me is Jewel (and the closing of Dominicks has really made that tight, chaotic store more tight and chaotic). Maybe living north of the tracks you may be more likely to go to some other store in GH or Carol Stream or something, but the Mariano's really is the closest decent option for my household... Fresh Market is intriguing, but I have a feeling it will be too expensive for everyday shopping.

So yeah, let's get something in the old Dominick's store so we can keep the tax dollars in Glen Ellyn...

Forum Regular
    Tribune reports Caputo's will take 4 old Dominick's locations. Glen Ellyn not on the list.

Forum Regular
    I still have not settled on a go-to grocery store. We rely on Peapod but do have to go out for the occasional gallon of milk and loaf of bread. Neither of the nearby Jewels is at all appealing. I stopped in at the one in Lombard, on Roosevelt, for some salmon the other day, and they were out. That's the thing - none of the groceries close to me has everything I need. Jewel just plain sucks in every department plus they don't carry the kind of yogurt I like. McChesney's does, but they don't have any fish or much produce. We go to Chicago Prime, then, for meat and fish - but then have to go to Trader Joe's for milk and produce - but they don't have the yogurt.

I was so spoiled by that Dominick's, and didn't know it.

Valle's has improved. A ton of people work there. Deli -although backed up usually on weekends by A LOT of people, sell great meat and you do get through the line eventually.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Glenly Ellynby's Avatar
    The stories like this keep pouring in, and I keep hoping to hear something similar about the Glen Ellyn Dominicks... But nothing.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...source=message

Maybe District 41 could set up some classroom space there?

Forum Regular
    I just discovered the miracle that is Pete's Fresh Market in Oakbrook Terrace. A wonder of produce, cheese, and the bakery - wow! Plus the prices are really reasonable - I bought tons of things for a Super Bowl get together and it only came to $145 - I got produce, meat for the chili, cheeses of all kinds, snacks and bags & bags of chips and beer and dips. Really impressed and will now make that my go-to when I have to go out for a big load of groceries. It's not that much further than going to Mariano's and frankly, I was a lot more impressed by Pete's.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Perplexed's Avatar
    I love Pete's! Plus if I go at lunch I can get a samosa.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class middlein87's Avatar
    Scribbler, what time should I get there for the party?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Scribbler, what time should I get there for the party?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Monday at 7:00.

Forum Regular
    I heard a rumor that Jewel is going to move into the old Dominicks at Baker Hill, and a Ross (? - I think that's what it was, some kind of discounted clothing store) will move into the Jewel. Anyone else hear something like this? Unless Jewel greatly expands their offerings to take advantage of the bigger space, I remain unexcited.

I heard it was going to be a CarMax. Though neither is most likely accurate.

Forum Regular
    "Market Plaza in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, an affluent in-fill suburb of Chicago, the Company has executed a lease for a new 25,000 square foot Ross Dress for Less. Market Plaza was acquired in 2007 as a Jewel-Osco anchored center. Because of its dominant position in the market, the Company was able to first add Staples and now Ross Dress for Less, converting a supermarket only anchored neighborhood property into a multi-anchored shopping center."