Page 1 of 22 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: Any news about Dominicks?

Forum Regular

Any news about Dominicks?

Since it was announced that all the Dominicks that have not been bought will close around December 28th, I was wondering about the status of the Dominicks in Baker Hill? Will we be blessed with a ginormous empty strip mall come January?

Rumor has it that there is a deal or one is imminent. Another grocer, I believe. Can only guess as to whom . . . but I would think Caputo's. Even though he is building a mega-store in Carol Stream, my guess is they have an eye an expansion and Gary and North isn't really all that close to the desirable and monied folks in the 60137 zip code.

Forum Regular
    Interesting and good to know! Admittedly, we don't shop at Dominicks as we used to; we rely on Peapod for staples, and then usually go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or the butcher shop for the rest. We probably go to Dominicks more for health & beauty stuff because it's closer to us than Walgreen's. But I just hate thinking about the employees being put out of a job - as well as the idea of a huge empty retail space in such a visible location. Hope the deal comes through.

Again, I have no clue who, when, where, how . . . but given the demographic, there was no way that store was going dark. Maybe it is Kroger/Food4Less.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Rumor has it that there is a deal or one is imminent. Another grocer, I believe. Can only guess as to whom . . . but I would think Caputo's. Even though he is building a mega-store in Carol Stream, my guess is they have an eye an expansion and Gary and North isn't really all that close to the desirable and monied folks in the 60137 zip code.
    A Caputos there would make my life much much better.

I like the idea of Caputos but no mention of them in this article.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-supermarkets#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came back from Marianos. I like. It reminds me of the Hyvee's out on Iowa. It has competitive prices on groceries and carries some of the items that we buy at Caputos ( 6 in one tomatoes). We like to buy ground bison, its cheaper at Whole Foods.

Yay Hy-Vee! We always have to make a pilgrimage there whenever we visit the parents in Iowa.

Just stopped in Jewel on Roosevelt Rd. Looking good. produce section is looking a lot better. Nice to see check-out clerks.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    I haven't even heard a hint at any rumors as to what store will replace Dominick's. The Baker Hills landlord would have done whatever he/she/they needed to do to secure a replacement anchor by about now, and may have even decided among multiple bids for the space. We should know very very soon I would think. I can't imagine Caputo's would have the cash available to expand so quickly in multiple directions all at once. And even if they did, the people resources to do something that grand just aren't there. Still, it is a remote possibility.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 11-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Forum Regular
    They released the list of Dominick's that Roundy's has bought and will take over. The Baker Hill store was not on it. So far, I've not heard of anything going in there.

I did notice that the Jewel looks a lot nicer, at least its exterior, but there's just something about having to cross Roosevelt and brave that shopping center with that parking lot that I hate. I know I'm a wimp. I know I'm spoiled. But boy, I did love having that Dominick's not two minutes from my house on "my" side of Roosevelt. Guess I'll have to try Aldi now, between Peapod orders. (Again - I know I'm a spoiled wimp.)

Probably wouldn't a wise biz move to stick a Mariano's two miles down the street from another one that just opened. Still hearing that Kroger is looking at our ginormous store.

BTW, is anyone else sort of Meh about Mariano's? Pretty and all, and a great wine section, but is it worth the drive? Perhaps it will be when Dominick's is closed. You can put as much lipstick as you'd like on the Jewel pig . . . but it is still a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    BTW, is anyone else sort of Meh about Mariano's? Pretty and all, and a great wine section, but is it worth the drive?
    Mariano's is basically nailing a formula that is kind of boring to begin with. It's not Whole Foods, but more of a traditional supermarket. But to me, it's a better-executed supermarket than any of it's competitors. I've never liked Jewel and Dominicks and always found them lacking. Mariano's addresses many of their problems, from produce that goes bad two days after purchase to overpriced organic options to poor customer service. Mariano's also has a larger bakery, deli, prepared food section, cheese selection, etc.

Forum Regular
    It's fine...kind of a combo of Whole Foods and a Dominick's, and if I lived as closed to it as I do the Baker Hill Dominick's, I'd be thrilled about it. But I agree, it's not worth the drive on a regular basis. I'll probably still go to Whole Foods when I feel the need for fancy food stuffs. Although I do think the bakery section at Mariano's was a little more appealing than the one at Whole Foods.