Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Village Links Restaurant, Reserve 22, to Support Raiders Football Nights

Village Links Restaurant, Reserve 22, to Support Raiders Football Nights

A Village Press Release...

Glen Ellyn, IL – Reserve 22, the new bar and restaurant at the Village Links of Glen Ellyn, will host Raiders Football Night every home game Friday evening in 2013. Anyone who mentions Glenbard South or Raiders Football will have 15% of the food portion of their bill donated to the Glenbard South Boosters Club. Raiders Football Night will run 4:00 PM to close on game nights to allow fans to dine before or after the game (August 30, September 13, 27 and October 11). Reserve 22 is located about two miles from the school at 485 Winchell Way in Glen Ellyn.

Glen Ellyn Village President Alex Demos, Glenbard South Varsity Football Coach Jeremy Cordell and the Glenbard Soth Boosters Club all noted their excitement for this upcoming pairing. “What an exceptional idea to bring both groups together for a time honored Glen Ellyn tradition,” noted President Demos. Added Coach Cordell, “This year is going to be very exciting, I think it’s a great idea.”

The Village Links recently opened a new clubhouse, Reserve 22 restaurant and bar, and driving range last month. More information regarding the Links can be found by visiting its website at www.villagelinksgolf.com. More information regarding Glenbard South football can be found at www.gbsfootball.com.
    # # #

Since the game was postponed until today, the Links will honor this opportunity from 5:30 p.m. to close tonight! (Addison Trail at Glenbard South at 7 p.m. this evening -- Raider Field -- Park Blvd. and Butterfield Road, Glen Ellyn.)

Hmmm...so you don't call it a "tailgate" and it's an "exceptional idea?" Danny, take note...all that grief you and Tap House received last year was just semantics.

2012 Tap House “Family cookout”
    .25 from game
    Food available
    Alcohol available

2013 Village Links Reserve 22 “Raiders Football Night”
    1.81 miles from game
    Food available
    Alcohol available

So, it is OK for the Village to throw this type of an event and promote it, but not a private business? Only difference I see is that last year fans could walk to game, now they have to drink and drive. Difference a year makes, huh Phil and Gilda? Did you really say this last year...

“My concerns were the connection between alcohol and high school sports,” Police Chief Phillip Norton said. “There’s a difference between a fundraiser, booster event, held away from the school and a tailgate party designed to interact with the football game. I think it sent the wrong message to the community and the kids in town.”

Norton said the initial request from Sronkoski (Tap House) was to hold a “tailgate party” and promotional materials included the high school’s logo. He said the targets were high school football spectators. The event’s name was changed to a family cookout, but Norton said the event continued to tie alcohol to high school athletics. “Changing the name and logo is simply window dressing; this was, and forever will be, an event that inexorably links alcohol consumption with high school sports,” Norton said.

Citing studies from Purdue University and a 2009 survey on youth high-risk behavior from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, Norton offered statistics on the use of alcohol among high school students. He also referenced a CDC finding that prevention of underage drinking is dependent upon community-based efforts, including monitoring youth activity and decreasing access to alcohol.

Research shows alcohol use causes a negative impact on childhood brain development, said Gilda Ross, Glenbard District 87 student and community projects coordinator. Though alcohol would only be served to adults at the events, critics were concerned they would set a bad example for students.

“I think ultimately through the conversation, everybody felt if this was a college game, this discussion would not take place,” Ross said. “But this was a high school event.”

Long time lurker - this thread prompted me to sign up.
    Talk about apples, oranges and sour grapes!

Major Differences:
    Distance/sight lines from school and game
    Special and separate event scheduled using school logos and colors, etc on special menus with no benefit to school vs. having to mention school name to wait staff to get a donation to boosters for regular menu items.
    Donation is for food purchased only, no drinks - alcohol or no
    In existing restaurant during regular hours vs. temporary set up with special hours targeted at game time

Looking for similarities? Tap House and North Side on Glenbard West game days. No problems.

Lurker, nice attempt, wide right. Ignoring the facts while introducing non-factors that are irrelevant is a false start. The event last year was not within sight of the field nor the school for that matter. The publicized opposition had nothing to do with distance or where profits ended up...it was “the connection between alcohol and high school sports.”

Both events reference the school name/team, targeted at game time and designed to interact with the football game/fans and serve alcohol and food. No difference, period.

For the record, I have no problem with either event, just an aversion to hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    For the record, I have no problem with either event, just an aversion to hypocrites.
    Then you need to avoid mirrors...

We agree on one thing: Like you, I have no problem with either event, despite the obvious differences.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class jombl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    The event last year was not within sight of the field nor the school for that matter. The publicized opposition had nothing to do with distance or where profits ended up...it was “the connection between alcohol and high school sports.”

Both events reference the school name/team, targeted at game time and designed to interact with the football game/fans and serve alcohol and food. No difference, period.

You make some very strong points. It is hard to see much, if any, difference between the two events beyond Raider blue and Hilltopper green. I do see one small difference in that the West event was to have been much more open and public and would have certainly been the talk of the town for its high profile location - this is in contrast to the South event being off the beaten path and seen only by attendees.

The biggest issue, as you state, is the hypocrisy in having the West event shot down officially by the Village - while the South event is being hosted on Village property with Village proceeds (a percentage of the gross dining receipts) being re-directed to the boosters club. There is a need for government to act consistently and that is clearly not the case here.
    Last edited by jombl; 08-31-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Not certain I see any mention of alcohol consumption in the Village's press release. It's an offer of 15% off post game food. In a restaurant. Well away from the prying eyes of those 'lil GS bastards.

And what does Phil Norton have to do with Glenbard South? Not in his jurisdiction. That's unincorporated and watched over by the County. It's like the Wild West down there.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class jombl's Avatar
    It's a bar hosting a pre-game, same as before. And it's not 15% off - it's 15% of Village gross revenues from the dining tab skimmed off for the booster club.

The only difference I can see is that now the Village is in on the action.

Again, if the Village thought ill of pre-game parties hosted by privately owned bars for West - then they should have at least considered how it would look to have our city government owned bar host pre-game parties for South.

Clam, what you should be pointing out is that it was a Southie in charge when the village stomped down hard on West's exuberance and pre-game joy, while it took a Westy to reach out and magnanimously offer South the olive branch and a return to traditional American football pre-game rituals.

Whatever you said there is probably right. Since I bypassed noticing that it starts at 4, I am no longer reliable to argue any points with regard to this. That, and the fact that after all these years, I still cannot look at your avatar without laughing at the dancing milk carton.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Again, if the Village thought ill of pre-game parties hosted by privately owned bars for West - then they should have at least considered how it would look to have our city government owned bar host pre-game parties for South.
    Pre, during and post game parties are held in the Village by privately owned bars for West every game (not just home games) and have been for years. Tap House advertises and decorates and North Side streams the West football games. I have heard of no problems.

If a special pre-game tailgate party with alcohol was proposed for South .25 miles from the stadium outside on Park Blvd (which is in the Village and would have needed a special use permit just like the West event) the Village would not have approved that either, me thinks.

So where's the hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by 4MP View Post
    Reserve 22, the new bar and restaurant at the Village Links of Glen Ellyn,
    BTW, Who named this place? Dr. Breuder?

Reserve 22?
    What genius (golf staff person) came up with that name for the restaurant? What does that mean? How does it fit with the course, menu or decor?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class DTM's Avatar
    I believe it refers to the 22 people in the village who actually make reservations at the joint.