Thread: Julie Hill thinks she should stay downtown on us $$$$

Julie Hill thinks she should stay downtown on us $$$$

I've been posting about the Triple I conference for about 7 years now. You think that these new members wouldn't be so tone deaf on arrogantly wasting our money.

From Monday night's agenda---

https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/Publ...px?ik=44932515

Julie Hill, who has basically been silent since she joined the board, feels that she should stay downtown on our dime. I don't.

I'm not aware of anyone else on the board staying downtown. I believe there are a couple admin that are and they know better.

Bruno might be, I'm pretty sure that he's done it before. Maybe I should ask him Monday night.

Julie Hill thinks she should stay downtown on us $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    I've been posting about the Triple I conference for about 7 years now. You think that these new members wouldn't be so tone deaf on arrogantly wasting our money.

From Monday night's agenda---

https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/Publ...px?ik=44932515

Julie Hill, who has basically been silent since she joined the board, feels that she should stay downtown on our dime. I don't.

I'm not aware of anyone else on the board staying downtown. I believe there are a couple admin that are and they know better.

Bruno might be, I'm pretty sure that he's done it before. Maybe I should ask him Monday night.
    Go for it man.

There is no need to stay downtown - even if the agenda runs late.

I too would love an expense paid night away from my kids but even when I work late, I still need to train it home and repeat the next morning.

Also, this new board is in total spend mode - no one is looking at the budget or challenging requests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QBOne; 08-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.

[QUOTE=QBOne;50014]Go for it man.

I too would love an expense paid night away from my kids but even when I work late, I still need to train it home and repeat the next morning.

Also, this new board is in total spend mode - no one is looking at the budget or challenging requests.

Of all the huge costs a district incurs, this is what you gripe about? Ridiculous. School board members are just regular folks that volunteer their time. This is their annual opportunity to learn board governance, sessions on the pension crises, the state budget, how to negotiate teacher and superintendent contracts, and about what other schools are doing to increase student learning and you want them to drive back and forth in Chicago traffic on their weekend off of work so your taxpayer money isn't covering 2-3 days of a hotel charge? Cmon now. Now, if I see a twenty person dinner bill with drinks and steaks from Gibsons submitted that's another story, but lets focus on what is egregiously wasteful and what might help our board members serve better.

nonnative, my issues with D 41/Triple I conference started in 2013 with D 41 spending about $10K, with over $2200 being spent on a dinner at III Forks during the conference. We pay plenty for the conference fees and should pay for travel to/from downtown and applicable parking or taxi from the train. This has worked for some districts that are even farther from downtown than us. It is 22 miles. Many that live here commute daily. It's an insult that Julie Hill thinks she is special and entitled. She's not the only one. Erica Nelson did this for years, Bruno also, I believe.

Let's not forget the opportunities at Triple I to mingle with vendors in their party suite, as one of our vendors has done in past years. Some board members do what is right by us and some don't. Based on her lack of activity so far in board meetings, Hill shouldn't be asking us for a dime.

Your point about pensions and teachers contracts is totally moot. This board, including Hill, Buttimer and Estes are appendages of Bruno. Pensions don't matter to them and GEEA is more than pleased that they are on the board. Bruno will give them anything they want.

If you are listening to what is currently going on, they are increasing staff and salary totals. This will cut into the district's, what had been, good fiscal position ,left by Clark-Buchholz. Their endgame will be a referendum to add on a pre K, maybe K-5 at Spalding. We've been down this road before a number of times. The Facilities Committee nixed that idea in 2016.

A $300 a night hotel room won't bankrupt the district. But, it is wrong and she isn't entitled. She and they need to learn a little about fiscal responsibility. We need to learn how to vote better. Two of the best board members in all the years that I've been involved were defeated by ill prepared, fiscally ignorant people. Unfortunately, much of GE doesn't take the time to learn about school board candidates. That's a shame. It would have helped in this cycle. We had a good board. Now we are left with 2 good interested, caring members.

nonnative, I see your concern about focus on the bigger picture and not some hotel room in Chicago during a conference and family friendly Magnificent Mile parade that same weekend. Following the lead of Bruno and/or Nelson on this request is poor decision, especially if she didn't attend the meeting to explain her request when it was on the agenda. (Bad optics)

And you and Ackerman are right that this new board are going crazy spending. Dr. Gordon and the new board stuck it to us in adding new administrative personnel (also known as overhead). When can we see the new D41 organization chart so that we understand what all the bodies productively do in the district office? If the projection on another referendum proves true, I wish someone could explain to us why $55 million annual budget isn't enough to run our district's K-8 schools. Increasing the costs of overhead in our 5 schools is a worrisome path. Ackerman, you seem to be a "the devil is in the details" sort of guy. Thanks for bringing this to light.

[QUOTE=nonnative;50038]
    Quote Originally Posted by QBOne View Post
    Go for it man.

Of all the huge costs a district incurs, this is what you gripe about? Ridiculous. School board members are just regular folks that volunteer their time. This is their annual opportunity to learn board governance, sessions on the pension crises, the state budget, how to negotiate teacher and superintendent contracts, and about what other schools are doing to increase student learning and you want them to drive back and forth in Chicago traffic on their weekend off of work so your taxpayer money isn't covering 2-3 days of a hotel charge? Cmon now. Now, if I see a twenty person dinner bill with drinks and steaks from Gibsons submitted that's another story, but lets focus on what is egregiously wasteful and what might help our board members serve better.
    If she canít handle the start time, then donít go - weekend mornings are easy to get to the city.
    Every dime counts. Remember the fun that was had at COD? Harmless dinners, nights out.... school in disarray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk