Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special Meeting 7/10/19

Special Meeting 7/10/19

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Clark View Post
    You are only telling one piece of the story in an attempt to shame me. Even the BOE said last night that I did nothing wrong yet you post this isolated quote.

This is not a surprising move from you as you have continued to try to publicly disparage me for months now. However, I am no longer on the board...by your standards it's ok to spin only half of a story to publicly attack a mere civilian on a message board that is supposed to be a happy place for information, not slanderous comments and gossip. Also, I should mention that you have blocked some of the most vocal people on this page so they aren't able to see or comment on this.
    You aren’t keeping up with things. Let me repeat my update - which is both above and on Facebook:

“So - Having waded through the 1.25 hours of meeting stream, it appears that the main issue was that, although Stephanie had verbally stated she had deleted all the “accidentally” downloaded emails, she would not confirm so in writing. As the District’s goal is to keep non-FOIA-ble documents on District servers, they are taking Stephanie at her word that the massive download was accidental, and that she indeed deleted the items immediately, but want it in writing. Indeed, when the letter from her lawyer - which she requested be read into the record - said that the download was accidental and immediately deleted, the Board voted to take that as the written confirmation they needed. Bruce Currie voted against this.

What’s more, for the sake of transparency, the Board’s 4th motion was to vote to release the correspondence between the Board and Ms. Clark publicly to counter the characterization that she was being “attacked;” the motion passed - and it will be interesting to read the actual documents.

Mr. Currie and Mrs. D’Ambrosio were the only Board Members to vote against releasing the correspondence.”

So, I’m waiting for the release of the correspondence to lead me towards the truth.

In the meantime, since Bruce Currie voted “No” to the resolution taking your lawyer’s letter (where Mr. Ruffalo affirms that you immediately destroyed the accidentally downloaded emails) as your word in writing that you had destroyed all the accidentally downloaded emails - is Bruce mistaken? Is your lawyer mistaken? Did you destroy all the 20,000 documents downloaded, and if so, why the hesitation to state so in writing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 07-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Regular
    On behalf of Ms. Clark - and because it seems damn near impossible to attach a PDF here - is a copy of her lawyer’s letter read into the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    On behalf of Ms. Clark - and because it seems damn near impossible to attach a PDF here - is a copy of her lawyer’s letter read into the meeting.
    Clever way to drive up donations Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    You aren’t keeping up with things. ...
    I’m keeping up just fine. I felt it necessary to call you out for putting up a post devoid of facts solely meant to slander me.

“So - Having waded through the 1.25 hours of meeting stream....
    I guess your dream team hasn’t figured out how to make meetings short and sweet.

What’s more, for the sake of transparency, the Board’s 4th motion was to vote to release the correspondence between the Board and Ms. Clark publicly to counter the characterization that she was being “attacked;” the motion passed - and it will be interesting to read the actual documents.
    That could be weeks before released with the minutes. I offered to do it now. Unfortunately I was headed out of town and couldn’t get all documents posted. I will do this over the weekend.

Plus I wouldn’t give this Board too much credit with transparency. Bruce Currie asked for the documents from the attorney about the matter to be released and they refused. Why? What are they hiding?

In the meantime, since Bruce Currie voted “No” to the resolution taking your lawyer’s letter (where Mr. Ruffalo affirms that you immediately destroyed the accidentally downloaded emails) as your word in writing that you had destroyed all the accidentally downloaded emails - is Bruce mistaken? Is your lawyer mistaken? Did you destroy all the 20,000 documents downloaded, and if so, why the hesitation to state so in writing?
    The letter from my attorney speaks for itself to answer your questions.

I believe Mr. Currie stated he was voting “no” because he didn’t feel that I had to sign or agree to anything. You can wade back through the meeting to verify that.

Special Meeting 7/10/19

Bruce Currie asked for the documents from the attorney about the matter to be released and they refused. Why? What are they hiding?
    You presumably know that it would require a Board vote, and Bruce knows the process.

Hey Schumacher:

I voted “no” on all counts because I did not agree with any of the actions being taken by this board against Mrs. Clark.

The Board wanted to release some of the documents, but not legal counsel’s thinking on why we were going to take action against Mrs. Clark. I wanted all of documents read including my letter to Dr. Bruno stating(I deleted part of the letter because it had to do with closed session conversations. Most of these points were brought up in open session, but I don’t want to get sued, so some of the points that Clamato would have found most brilliant, have not been included.)

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM Bruce Currie <bcurrie@d41.org> wrote:
    Bob,

I think that we should drop our legal action against Mrs. Clark. We need to try to unify this board and our community and taking this action will not do either.

We only answered the question of whether we were going to pay for her legal counsel on June 28th, she needs time to get representation that will defend her if she so chooses. I don’t want to have to explain to my constituents that we gave her written notice that we were going to take board action to sue her the Friday before July 4th week and we are taking Board action on July 10th.

I, as any board member would be, was stunned when I found our that we are not willing to pay the legal fees of a volunteer board member who is getting sued by her board for something we don’t have a board policy for. If that is the way the Board majority wants to handle this issue, I don’t have the votes to change your decision, I just want it clearly noted why we denied her legal representation. I think this action will deter other members of the community from volunteering for Board positions on the future. Does this help to unify our community?

I also questioned why it took us two and a half weeks after we found out that she had downloaded these files, to contact her and inform her that we might be taking legal action to recover these files. If we knew that she had downloaded these files and were concerned about confidentiality, why didn’t we immediately mention this to her? Instead, we waited until she was off the Board to even tell her there was an issue. Why? It just doesn’t make sense. This was either important and needed to be treated as such, or was not that big a deal. We can’t have it both ways saying it was only a big deal after she was off the Board. That doesn’t look good. It won’t unify the community.

Having re-read the 9:00, Acceptable Use of The District’s Electronic Resources, I can’t find an area where she violated this policy. The highlighted text from Dr. Gordon/Mr. Faulkner, is very, very vague. We have no proof that she has violated her oath and WE HAVE NO POLICY concerning the use of email after a board member is off the board! We have all taken an oath to maintain confidentiality and I believe . . . . If she breaks her oath later on, then we can take legal action. If we take legal action ahead of any disclosure, we look like the pre-cognition Police from Minority Report. We are taking legal action before a policy has been broken because we think it might happen, maybe? Again, we are trying to unify the community. Does this move us in that direction?

When Mr. Estes said that he had signed non-disclosure letters with companies that he had consulted for in the past, I thought that is great, but he had signed a contract(policy) with them BEFORE he entered into working as a consultant. Can you show me what District 41 policy states that Mrs. Clark has to sign a letter saying she has destroyed everything she was ever given as a board member before she started as a board member or during her time as a board member? Have we ever asked this of Mr. Escalante, Mr. Bochenski, Mrs. Taylor, Mr. Elger, or Mr. Ellis? If not, we are asking her to sign something that is not within board policy. It just doesn’t make sense.

When I asked Mr. Faulkner whether any other Board had designed a policy concerning this issue, . . . How are we going to look as a board if we don’t have any policy in place and are developing policy that no other board has really considered creating? Beyond that, before we have a policy, we decide to admonish a former Board member for breaking a future policy we haven’t invented yet. We might make national news; but not in a good way.

I know we all want to welcome Dr. Kaczkowski to our community and start her tenure here without the controversy that has long infected this board. I would hope we could do that by dropping this issue and concentrating on the students and their well being.

Thanks for listening,

Bruce

What a waste of time and resources.

D41 Board needs to get their **** together, stop the petty bull**** and do their job. This is embarrassing.

I’m keeping up just fine. I felt it necessary to call you out for putting up a post devoid of facts solely meant to slander me.
    “Devoid of facts?” I simply posted a direct quote from the first minute of the Board Meeting - No paraphrasing - that described your downloading 20,000 emails onto a private server. And I added the word “Wow,” as I found it surprising, and ended with a link to the video. Your accusation of slander is libelous.

The letter from my attorney speaks for itself to answer your questions.

I believe Mr. Currie stated he was voting “no” because he didn’t feel that I had to sign or agree to anything. You can wade back through the meeting to verify that.
    But as the Board voted to take your attorney’s letter as a signed confirmation that you had destroyed the emails, it really looks like that’s all they wanted. If refusing to sign such a statement was what drew this all out, then - why? It’s not inconceivable that someone could leak confidential material (In the meeting, Bruce openly asked what would happen if he were to release the lawyer’s notes - which would have been a violation of his oath of office), so I understand the Board wanting some tangible assurance that the emails had been deleted - as you affirm they were. Is there something else they were requesting other than that?

You don’t need to respond to this latest “post devoid of facts solely meant to slander;” I am patient enough to wait for the correspondence to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Smith, Jr. View Post
    The board probably should have some sort of policy if they feel the existing ones do not cover their issue. Usually, the only worrisome information is from Closed sessions.
    I agree with this. Board members will roll on and off the board, and there should be a process in place for handling their digital legacy that doesn't involve hiring lawyers.

It seems that Stephanie made a simple mistake and tried to do the right thing. It's unfortunate that this has been a burden on her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Bruno is a total weirdo, IMO.
    He does not impress me.

Our school board seems to have devolved in to these two well-developed "camps" that are behaving like partisan political parties, and most Glen Ellyn residents probably have opinions and desires for the district that fall in the middle. For instance, we are all paying the high property taxes, and most want fiscal responsibility. Yet there are facilities that need updating, and spending that needs to happen. I'm sure many could pick and choose things a la carte from each of the camps that they like and dislike.

We just need some board members who can work together for the betterment of the district in spite of differences in opinion. If someone wants to stick their neck out as a "problem board member", I have no problem "chopping it off" at election time. Bruno is increasingly looking like a "problem board member". He should take heed at how well that worked out for Kurt Buchholz.

If Bruno is hell bent on going after folks with confidential information, I assume he will next go after the district IT employee who posted closed meeting audio a couple of years ago?

Forum All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Bruno is a total weirdo, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    He does not impress me.

He's been putting on these staged pieces of political theater for decades. He's been behind the scenes until now.

The first one I know of is when he was fired as a high school teacher for an incident with a black student, unprofessionalism and his character. That first staged protest was in front of his school board in another affluent community (one that Bruno criticizes as "ultra-conservative and composed primarily of white middle class professionals" with an "anachronistic socio-political philosophy" ) near identical to GE. That incident, its set and the location appear in every way to be a perfect original script for the re-staging he presented with Gordon appearing in his role in this year's production.

Oh, and yes, I did write, "he (Robert Bruno) was fired as a high school teacher for an incident with a black student, unprofessionalism and his character." I'll let Mr. Bruno explain that one, or alternatively sue me for defamation, slander or libel as his lawyers see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    He does not impress me.

Our school board seems to have devolved in to these two well-developed "camps" that are behaving like partisan political parties, and most Glen Ellyn residents probably have opinions and desires for the district that fall in the middle. For instance, we are all paying the high property taxes, and most want fiscal responsibility. Yet there are facilities that need updating, and spending that needs to happen. I'm sure many could pick and choose things a la carte from each of the camps that they like and dislike.

We just need some board members who can work together for the betterment of the district in spite of differences in opinion. If someone wants to stick their neck out as a "problem board member", I have no problem "chopping it off" at election time. Bruno is increasingly looking like a "problem board member". He should take heed at how well that worked out for Kurt Buchholz.
    I agree with you about the community wanting a Board that falls in the middle. Kurt Buchholz and I tried to do that. Where I disagree with you is what you said about Kurt. While you may not like Kurt’s demeanor, he does not have extreme political views. Nor do I. He is direct and some people don’t like that. Unfortunately to get anything done around D41 that’s what we needed. Look at the levy. We took a beating from many including Bruno and Buttimer who claimed we were destroying our district and we’d have no money. Yet those two are now ok with adding 8 staff members. No offset necessary. Guess we DO have a lot of money. Without Kurt and his strong stance it would have been very difficult to zero the levy with their public ridicule.

I tried a different approach than him at times. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn’t. It does not work when you are trying to accomplish something that the admin doesn’t agree with. An example would be special ed. I sat back for two years and tried to be reasonable and trust the district. Kurt followed my lead and stayed quiet. Now look where we are at. It’s not great. The number of special ed staff resigning is alarming. Kurt has been on many boards. He knows what it takes to make change. I wish I had listened to him.

Another example of a difficult situation - People didn’t like that we didn’t renew Gordon’s contract. We tried to handle it professionally out of respect for him. The people that made it a spectacle are now at the helm of the D41 board.

Just a last note. Kurt has never been involved in antics of board members like this with me and the emails or when the board tried to overthrow President Kenwood.

In the end, I’ve concluded the extremes are ruling the world because the moderates get tired of dealing with all the drama. We’re not paid. We’re volunteers.

Sadly true. I know about a dozen people who would be great school board representatives. Nobody would dare subject themselves to the pitchforks of Glen Ellyn residents.

So, to the extent you ever felt like I stepped over the line, I apologize. I still believe that Kurt did not handle himself the way I wished and hoped a board member would act, but I appreciate his service. Moreover, a very good friend of mine who i trust said he’s a really good guy - so he’s a good guy in my book. And I know you’re a good person too.

It’s just sad that this is discourse and activity that we have to endure with volunteers. I think it sucks that you have to go through this.

As I’ve repeatedly stated, people are the worst.
    Last edited by GE Fan; 07-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Special Meeting 7/10/19

Might I take the opportunity to note that, as they had promised, the Board has linked to their correspondence on the D41 Board Page? It’s interesting.

Definitely read the Attorney Letter TO the Board that Stephanie posted FIRST; it sets expectations of a certain level of antagonistic discourse that, well, never materialize. But don’t take my word for it. Some people will always find The Pope in the pizza...

https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/Publ...spx?smk=111853
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 07-12-2019 at 10:01 PM.