Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Crime on the Prairie Path

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    But apparently does not apply to yours.
    It would help if you actually read what I post...I believe I reference a PW worker and ask the same question. :roll eyes:

Post #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Wasn't questioning the value or the specific person...question was "Do we as taxpayers have to pay Village employees for time off if they are injured working at another job?" Public works employee, office worker, etc.
    AND post 28
    Public works guy hurts himself working a second job at a landscaping company...that benefits the community how?
    Last edited by Cliché; 07-09-2019 at 02:07 PM.

If we are being serious, often employment contracts, as you probably know, have clauses regarding unsafe behaviors...sky diving, etc. Some insurance policies too.
    What exactly is "unsafe behavior" for a police officer?

• Mixed Martial Art competition?
    • Live bullet shoot and move contests?
    • Boxing?
    • Car racing?
    • Knife fight training?
    • Traffic control?

Traffic interaction is easily the most dangerous thing cops do, on duty or off. I guess you could start there.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

• Boxing?
    • Car racing?
    • Knife fight training?
    • Traffic control?
    Not sure, I don't have one of their contracts or insurance policies or the Code of Conduct they are now required to read and sign.

I'm assuming it discusses drug use, the responsibility to perform their jobs in a safe manner, and to follow policies, procedures and laws relevant for the environmental, health and safety to avoid any condition or work practice that may result in personal injury and illness.

Not sure, I don't have one of their contracts or insurance policies or the Code of Conduct they are now required to read and sign.

I'm assuming it discusses drug use, the responsibility to perform their jobs in a safe manner, and to follow policies, procedures and laws relevant for the environmental, health and safety to avoid any condition or work practice that may result in personal injury and illness.
    It sounds like someone is setting up the Police Chief for an known activity that is of enormous benefit to the health and safety of the community and its events.

It sounds like someone is setting up the Police Chief.
    You and Clamato are trying to make this that, I've posted no such advancement. Not my fault our Chief made the evening news...great respect for him and the force and what they provide, every day.

Just like I respect the volunteer firefighters that serve our community!

Your contractual concerns regarding the downside of insurance exposure aside, do you agree with this regarding the upside and benefits?:

This activity is an extraordinary positive for the community and should be encouraged, if not required, for leadership in the police department. Our Chief is getting a "continuing education" we can neither afford to purchase, nor afford to lose.

With the very real threats that major gatherings attract, especially in major cities like Chicago, the level of security we see here is real. Those guys are Chiefs, gang crime detectives, burglary, homicide detectives, etc. These are not the off-duty uniformed younger officers that you'll see tasked with Sunday mega-church traffic direction.

What do we get in return, and for free?

We get a Chief privy to the latest techniques and intelligence in international crowd safety; exposed, trained and experienced by each concert and sporting event and each concentrated dose of a major subgroup of our population that groups together by the tens of thousands as we choose to divide ourselves along cultural lines.

We get a Chief who has a close personal relationship with Detectives, Chiefs and Federal security officers throughout Northern Illinois unencumbered by bureaucracy - a relationship which allows the free-flow of information regarding trends, information and techniques unfiltered, and in real time. We get a massive unofficial network of trusted, known experts that can be tapped when needed for our benefit.

We get a Chief that continues to grow as a leader through exposure as a subordinate to command, no small thing indeed in a Chief's world of personal fiefdoms without command oversight.

This is a situation that exists only because of the significant investments in security post 9/11, no department has previously had this opportunity or resources. We are lucky, and we have seen the dividends for years now at the 4th of July, Taste of Glen Ellyn and anywhere we have large crowds, children, alcohol, fast & dangerous activity, etc. We see it every time a GE Police Officer makes a courteous proportionate arrest.

I can't see a single negative other than our shared greed in taking all this for free and for granted.

And if so, are you arguing for a more explicit and inclusive insurance coverage for the force?

Your contractual concerns regarding the downside of insurance exposure aside, do you agree with this regarding the upside and benefits?:
    My question was never about a person or activity, the contracts or the insurance...simply wondering if the village pays employees for time-off if an injury occurs at another job (not to be confused with outside leisure activities like mountain biking). I'll respectfully leave it at that.

As you know, employment contracts are public documents and included in the Village Board's agenda.

You know this, and you know where and how to find it. You also know this activity spans several Village Presidents and is widely known, respected and accepted.

These facts, and your history of targeted animosity that Clamato referred to, are why this is being seen as the opening salvo of a setup.

Just to clarify, we are not speaking of "on duty" behaviors and activities with regards to the question, we are discussing elective behaviors and activities outside of employment.

As you know, employment contracts are public documents and included in the Village Board's agenda.

You know this, and you know where and how to find it. You also know this lauded activity spans several Village President's and is widely known and accepted.

These facts, and your history of animosity that Clamato referred to, are why this is being seen as the opening salvo of a setup.
    Yeah, wrong. Clamato views any criticism of the GEPD as an attack on them and the Chief...this is something I disagree with...I believe you can respect, admire and be thankful of an organization and it's people and still find fault. GEPD has its faults, I have never posted anything but praise and admiration for the force and what they do. I believe they do a horrible job at communicating, always have...they must have their reasons.

http://glenellynforum.com/showthread...er-Riggle-Hero

Post #6 is my "problem" with the GEPD, not it pre-dates our current Chief.
    Last edited by Cliché; 07-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Just to clarify, we are not speaking of "on duty" behaviors and activities with regards to the question, we are discussing elective behaviors and activities outside of employment.

Every one of these I listed is an elective off-duty activity popular with area police - some are dominated by off-duty police.

• Boxing?
    • Car racing?
    • Knife fight training?
    • Traffic control?

Every one of these I listed is an off-duty activity popular with area police - most are dominated by off-duty police.

• Boxing?
    • Car racing?
    • Knife fight training?
    • Traffic control?
    Great.

My question was never about a person or activity, the contracts or the insurance...simply wondering if the village pays employees for time-off if an injury occurs at another job (not to be confused with outside leisure activities like mountain biking). I'll respectfully leave it at that.
    So to clear things up, the focus on the video you posted and the person in said video was simply meant as a question, a "what if" if you will, solely based on curiosity of how things would be handled if such an injury should occur? Just had an interest on how the village would be liable in the case of any employee?

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    So to clear things up, the focus on the video you posted and the person in said video was simply meant as a question, a "what if" if you will, solely based on curiosity of how things would be handled if such an injury should occur? Just had an interest on how the village would be liable in the case of any employee?
    Correct.

I guess to a postscript and to argue some more, I wasn't "focused" on the video...it prompted the discussion.
    Last edited by Cliché; 07-09-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Clamato wrote-"Why the PP would be singled out as a den of iniquity is puzzling."

As you know, myself and a number of female friends use the PP for our Saturday morning runs. Some of the ladies also run on other days, some early in the morning or evening, times when the PP might not be as safe. I think the point that this friend was making that by not publishing that there are more crimes then are reported could put users at risk. It would be beneficial to know where the crimes occur, what time of day and the type of crime. The PP foliage also provides cover for would be assailants.