Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another development lawsuit @ Prospect?

Must every proposed development be deemed the worst development ever? Any development that anyone is for?

Asking developers to follow the law should never be controversial.

What makes this request for an even bigger, taller building than the law allows (and an exception to the parking required to support it) worse?

Well, just a year or so ago we changed local ordinance to allow for even bigger and taller buildings - and now this developer wants to get an exception to violate the new bigger taller rules.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Must every proposed development be deemed the worst development ever? Any development that anyone is for?
    My thoughts exactly. It appears there is a vocal minority who seem to be comfortable with the status quo. While I appreciate they may favor a certain aesthetic, it may not be practical or economical for any developer.

What I find frustrating is they don't seem to want to work out any compromise solutions. If I missed any overtures to the developers, please share.

What will likely happen over the long term is GE will get a reputation of being a difficult place to build. Developers will stay away and we can watch Gieshes and M&M crumble away.

Yep. Can’t keep track of the latest worst development ever. I thought this thread on the worst development ever was a thread on the Main Street development. Turns out this worst development ever is a different but even worse development ever. Got it.

And Yossarian, we already have that reputation. In fact, one of my bank clients called to see if it was even worth their time to continue to vet downtown Glen Ellyn projects. Unfortunately, I had to tell them that I couldn’t give them a good answer to that.

Do you two support regulating development?

If you do could you be so kind as to point out a couple of comparable communities whose development we should seek to emulate? And a couple of comparable towns whose development path we should avoid?

We may be closer in position than we realize.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

If you do could you be so kind as to point out a couple of comparable communities whose development we should seek to emulate? And a couple of comparable towns whose development path we should avoid?

I do. I support the role of our Plan Commission, ZBA (which I now know to be part of the Plan Commission), staff and Village Board to regulate and approve development with the input of the residents consistent with the comprehensive plan. I also understand that all property is unique and as such, variations and exceptions may and should be granted when warranted.

I think Glen Ellyn, like any community, is unique and that trying to play the game of "compare the community" is a futile exercise. That said, the trend of filing a lawsuit every time a resident group is upset at the result of the process (presuming the process is properly followed), is one that I do not support at any level. I further think it is creating lasting damage to our Village and our tax bills.

Montessori School, Cell Tower, Lights at GBW, Gieshes Development, 4-Corners Gas Station (which won)....what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

Is there a mechanism in GE to regulate development? That might be the first problem.

My short answer-some regulation should be in place, but it should balance the desires of the community with the commercial objectives of the developers.

I don't find that subjective evaluations of any development should over ride the potential benefits.

What I find a bit ironic is a town of over 27,000 only has approximately 400+ people vote in the local elections. The folks that are objecting may be the 400 or so that voted, but I'm guessing the rest of the town is ambivalent to these developments

I do. I support the role of our Plan Commission, ZBA (which I now know to be part of the Plan Commission), staff and Village Board to regulate and approve development with the input of the residents consistent with the comprehensive plan. I also understand that all property is unique and as such, variations and exceptions may and should be granted when warranted.
    I think the problem is the Plan Commission and ZBA have listened to the residents and recommended against certain proposals while the village board has gone ahead and approved whatever has come before them. How many projects/variations has the village board actually not approved?

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    I think the problem is the Plan Commission and ZBA have listened to the residents and recommended against certain proposals while the village board has gone ahead and approved whatever has come before them. How many projects/variations has the village board actually not approved?
    IIRC, there was a proposed condo development on Western Ave.(where the DuPage Medical Clinic parking lot currently resides) that was shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It appears there is a vocal minority who seem to be comfortable with the status quo.
    I believe the proper term is Vociferous Minority...

Then those people should run for the Village Board or, if they have any evidence of illicit approvals, they should provide evidence. Otherwise, it is the Village Board's decision to make.

I believe the proper term is Vociferous Minority...
    That group of individuals has laid claim to that title through January 2023.

Then those people should run for the Village Board or, if they have any evidence of illicit approvals, they should provide evidence. Otherwise, it is the Village Board's decision to make.
    I am not implying any illicit approvals. Just trying to understand the purpose of those other groups if the village board continues to go counter to their recommendation.

I remember the term being "Vociferous Little Minority," a quote from the then Village President (or was it from the Village Attorney?). And why are we limited to 2023? Does the Copyright on the term expire?
    Last edited by GESince1958; 06-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    I remember the term being "Vociferous Little Minority," a quote from the then Village President (or was it from the Village Attorney?). And why are we limited to 2023? Does the Copyright on the term expire?
    Trustee Peter Norton