Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: D41 Board Mtg Summary

Forum Regular

D41 Board Mtg Summary

In case you missed it, last week the board held a special meeting (5/13/19) to reverse a decision of the prior board. Meeting was not video taped or live-streamed and the agenda did not match up with the intent.

Agenda item was approval of budget to conduct AAPPL assessment test of 8th grade Spanish students. Prior board maintained test was necessary for baseline data to compare with FLES students (those who started Spanish in elementary school). District spends $800,000/year on FLES and admin has presented no data to compare value of language in elementary versus middle school. Admin didnít want to do test. Many excuses from cost ($3000), to they saw no value. New board (Buttimer, Estes, Bruno and Hill) carried out the adminís wishes by not approving the budget of $3000. Not sure why they were even approving this?

Whether you agree with decision or not, the new board wasnít transparent with their intent on agenda. As a matter of fact, a week prior at regular board meeting (5/6/19) this was discussed and Bruno summarized saying test would be conducted. Apparently he found a loophole to stop it?

This should be opening a can of worms. Does the board approve all budget items regardless of dollar amount now?

Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post
    ... by not approving the budget of $3000.

Does the board approve all budget items regardless of dollar amount now?
    You lost me.

Time to unleash the watchdogs!

Innovator, did you catch this nugget in the recent board packet FOIA report?

05.09.19N/AOn August 22, 2014, Ms. Stephanie Clark and Mr. Kurt Buchholz contacted the Illinois Public Access Counselor (PAC) about a violation of the Open Meetings Act (OMA). They alleged that the Glen Ellyn School District 41 Board of Education violated OMA in a closed session discussion at its August 11, 2014 meeting. Additional materials pertinent to the claim were provided to the PAC by the Board’s attorney.On May 9, 2019, the PAC determined the District was not in violation of OMA.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Time to unleash the watchdogs!

Innovator, did you catch this nugget in the recent board packet FOIA report?
    I love it when Watchdawgs go Watchdawggin'

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    I love it when Watchdawgs go Watchdawggin'
    I thought they were goin fishin.......

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesoter View Post
    You lost me.
    Board approves budget overall. Historically if expenses added, the admin finds a place in the budget for it and board approval not required if under $10k. At least that’s what I thought.

Darn. I really wanted that test to take place. I wanted to see the difference between FLES students abilities vs those starting Spanish in 6th/7th grade. The district will never have the same opportunity again.

All of my kids stink at Spanish. Bad language genes I suppose as i really stink at foreign languages. But, I too wanted to see the difference between my kids.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    Darn. I really wanted that test to take place. I wanted to see the difference between FLES students abilities vs those starting Spanish in 6th/7th grade. The district will never have the same opportunity again.
    Agreed. They will be able to test 7th grade next year but it doesnít seem Buttimer and Bruno see any value based on their comments. So will it happen?

What I want to know is why is the admin so reluctant to get the data? It just makes sense to gather it to make a comparison. And none of them can provide an alternative way to evaluate pre/post FLES.

Forum Regular
    What I want to know is why is the admin so reluctant to get the data?
    Maybe they should do a survey...an ACCURATE survey!

D41 Board Mtg Summary

What I want to know is why is the admin so reluctant to get the data? It just makes sense to gather it to make a comparison.
    Iím trying to figure out which is preferable: Not getting the data, or going through the time and expense of getting the data AND THEN ignoring it...

[Oops. Innovator, did I say that out loud...? Iím trying to spend some time away from here...]

Does anyone know if the Spanish 1 kids at D87 take that test? Their average should be approximately where current Hadley non FLES kids would be, I would think. Considering that 7th + 8th grade Spanish is the equivalent of Spanish 1 at D87.

Maybe when they test the 8th graders in two years, they can guesstimate based upon the West Spanish 1 results (unless they are private and inaccessible). I know my daughter took it freshman year, but she was in Spanish 2.

I can tell you that she earned the seal of biliteracy Sophomore year (in Spanish 3) after only having Spanish in grades 7, 8, 9 and 10, so they progress pretty fast at West.

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    I’m trying to figure out which is preferable: Not getting the data, or going through the time and expense of getting the data AND THEN ignoring it...

[Oops. Innovator, did I say that out loud...? I’m trying to spend some time away from here...]

While it's good to see your acknowledge your fiscal side in your comment, I wonder if you have a fiscal thought about the almost $6,000 that we spend annually on LEND, a lobbying firm whose head Peg Agnos,(Erica Nelson and Bob Bruno seem to love her) is campaigning to fight HB 3053, a bill that would set up a committee to look into consolidating school districts. This is a subject that Bruno has spoken about twice in recent board meetings. He has been heard to say that there wouldn't be any savings in such consolidations. Any thoughts on the $6,000 annual waste by D 41 or Bruno's statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    Iím trying to figure out which is preferable: Not getting the data, or going through the time and expense of getting the data AND THEN ignoring it...

[Oops. Innovator, did I say that out loud...? Iím trying to spend some time away from here...]
    $3,000 to measure if an $800,000 program is working seems prudent, no? At least one of the new BOE members ran on the platform of looking at data. Why did they choose not to collect it?

If one of the FLES goals is to get kids bilingual certified earlier at GBW, it doesn't matter much to me or my kid if it happens sophomore or junior year. Does it to you? They're also keeping French class at Hadley. Are a bunch of kids going to switch languages? I noticed other districts offer other languages like Mandarin Chinese.

$800,000 is a lot of money. Is Spanish FLES the best use of it? I expect my school board to review this program thoroughly.

Forum Regular
    Not even sure where to start after tonight’s meeting. I’d say hold onto your purse strings Glen Ellyn. I lost track of how much money this new board is spending, spending, spending (with the exception of Currie and D’Ambosio who have common sense).

After the last mtg, I was going to suggest we all start a drinking game and everyone drink when Bruno cuts off Currie to stop him from speaking. I lost count at 15. Maybe Bruno got the memo to tone it down tonight.

Don’t really understand what is going on with special ed, but I don’t think Loebach or the administration do either. Seems a disaster in the making.

Good times.