Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Damage

Storm Damage

Hail, wind, water. We lost all our screens on the west side of the house, our yard and trees look like crap - half the leaves are gone and look like shredded microgreen salad on the ground, and both cars were out in all that. Golf ball sized hail here. I didn't take pictures of it because I was surveying all the damage at 12:45am. But the car roofs and hoods... will have to check them more when they're not wet and covered with saladified leaves. And I think we need to take a good look at the roof shingles. I'm not optimistic.

Damage by you?
    Last edited by GESince1958; 05-17-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Per Facebook by the Police Department: There are several road closures due to fallen trees from last night’s storm. Please try to avoid these roads/intersections if possible: Newton/Linden, Prairie btw. Maple/Oak, Edgewood btw. Hickory/Riford, Oak btw. Park/Forest and Riford south of Crescent.

I'm over by COD and on initial look didn't seem too bad.

Morning light showed one of our outside rear lights was busted apart - glass everywhere. We had our house painted two years ago, and now that has to be done again on the west side. It looks like it got sand blasted, but with 2" diameter sand. Car roofs still unknown until they're completely dry. The shingles don't look damaged - that was our main worry.

The hail on the right side of the tracks was jelly bean-sized. Somewhere between the size of a Jelly Belly and a Starburst bean. Covered the grass and deck. Loud AF, and shredded every tree in sight. But the survey of two new cars and one old car on the drive this morning appeared to yield zero damage. Took my screens out to clean last week. Will gaze again when I get home. You can't be more than a 1,000 feet away as the crow flies, and your hail sounds like it was four to five times the size of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    The hail on the right side of the tracks was jelly bean-sized. Somewhere between the size of a Jelly Belly and a Starburst bean. Covered the grass and deck. Loud AF, and shredded every tree in sight. But the survey of two new cars and one old car on the drive this morning appeared to yield zero damage. Took my screens out to clean last week. Will gaze again when I get home. You can't be more than a 1,000 feet away as the crow flies, and your hail sounds like it was four to five times the size of ours.
    Yes, half were the size of quarters or so. Loudest I've ever heard. From inside the house we could only image all sorts of meyhem happening outside. Some of that turned out to be true. Sure wish I had a proper garage. Heck, the hail even felled a couple full sized deer that were wandering through our backyard at the time (OK this last statement is an outright lie).

The car dried out and there are hundreds of dents in the roof and the hood. Crap. Now what do I do? Totalled, right?

EDIT: and along the left side too.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 05-19-2019 at 12:20 AM.

dentless repair?

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    dentless repair?
    I called the Ins. Co. Waiting to hear back.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    I called the Ins. Co. Waiting to hear back.
    Worked from home on Friday and received no less than six calls offering "free inspections for hail damage." Good luck with the estimators GE58.

Quote Originally Posted by 4MP View Post
    Worked from home on Friday and received no less than six calls offering "free inspections for hail damage." Good luck with the estimators GE58.
    We've had 2 calls I've actually answered from "adjusters," real or unreal. One had that boiler room noise behind it. Also about 10 calls we didn't answer, and most likely also storm damage spam calls. Next door neighbor was having a thorough estimate done on all damage on their property the last couple of days. They had 4 cars outside in their driveway when this happened. Ouch! Found more damage on my cars left side today, so the ball peen hammer dents are everywhere.

EDIT - ADDING MORE:
    And on my front door knob today was an advertising hanger ad for storm damage mitigation. I also noticed the left side of my car was peppered with dents too. Found more house paint damage. The screens are all repaired now thanks to my wife's skills with that. There was insulation material on the ground under one of the power/phone/cable poles that was knocked off by the hail. That can't be good. Another neighbor showed us damage on her car today, similar to mine. She was parked three blocks to the south when it all came down - so more widespread than I first theorized. A whole heck of a lot of water ended up under our covered back porch, which has never got wet - ever. Buckets had 4 inches of water in them, and my EVSE (car charger thingy) was soaking wet, also not good. Branches, oh my. Ready for another bruch pickup ASAP.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 05-18-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    dentless repair?
    How does that work with the ball-peen hail damage on steel and aluminum unibody panels? I'm not trying to be be a jerk, just asking because I really don't know the answer. If there's a repair technique to physically remove damage such as this, I'd like to know more. Maybe small high powered suction cup-like tool? I am expecting my 2 year old car's trade-in value just dropped by 50%, if not more. Not much of a problem if I keep it 15 years and then junk it, but that has never been the plan. The plan was for 5-6 years at the most, and then get a full BEV (if Illinois doesn't jack the registration price fine/penalty/bribe/ 57-fold). The Gov. seems to support it.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 05-19-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Special storm damage branch collection added for late may. See here... https://twitter.com/VillageofGE

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    How does that work with the ball-peen hail damage on steel and aluminum unibody panels? I'm not trying to be be a jerk, just asking because I really don't know the answer. If there's a repair technique to physically remove damage such as this, I'd like to know more.
    They can repair using suction cups (no, really!) and they have other tricks of the trade. But it all depends on the body material, depth of the dent, etc. etc.

I'm on Kenilworth just south of Hill and got woken up by the hail pelting our steel side door (i'd put in in the jelly belly to dime sized on the high end hail range). I have vinyl siding that is about two years old and fortunately it seems to have survived. Unfortunately I have a work truck with about 2,000 miles on it that has hail dents all over the hood. They are light and you really have to look close to see them (or have the right angle of light hitting the hood - I first noticed them while sitting in the front seat while the hood was up). We decided not to make a claim since its a truck and needs a few dents and mud splashes to look manly enough for construction work.

I didn't check the two family cars since they are both getting on in age and I'm not about to increase my premiums for light cosmetic issues. Would really suck if I had a new car that I cared about, though. My FIL had hail damage on a couple cars a few years ago and it wound up costing the insurance company $6K in bills. I'm sure they'll be out to recover that over time.

Good time to be in the auto body repair biz!

I haven't checked the roofs out yet but hopefully I have some damage there and can get a new roof on the old part of the house - it's probably five years away from actually needing it so I wouldn't mind an upgrade. We've already had hail damage contractors ringing the bell. I'd be wary of those folks. We looked into it at our old house after a hail storm and it had a pretty sleazy feel and not quite the panacea those sales people claim it will be.

Besides a small amount of hail damage on my car, I found quite a bit of damage on the roof. I won't deal with the people that keep calling me and showing up at my door. I called a local roofer to come out and look at it.

Just watched some videos on fixing hail damaged cars. Seems like a real pain in the ***.