Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storm Damage

Yeah, that one was nuts. The combination of sustained 60 mph winds and dense hail... I've never heard anything like it. I have large holes in a few screens, and the "micro-green salad on the ground" is quite a good description of the tree debris that was all around town. We also have some very small dents in some aluminum trim pieces on the house, but they are virtually unnoticeable.

My worry is the roof. The portions of the roof that are visible to me look totally fine, but I can't see everything. We have a Spandikow Special (IKO Cambridge architectural shingles) that is only a few years old, and it still looks as new as can be everywhere that I can actually see. But I'm not adventurous (or stupid?) enough to actually climb on to the higher portions of my house to take a close look.

Has anyone confirmed roof damage from this storm? Is there a reliable business that will go up there an look at it? It just seems like there are scammers everywhere.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    We definitely had some hail on the larger size (near Ben Franklin), closer to golf ball than jelly bean. Large obvious dents on the cars and aluminum downspouts. Like Glenly, I have concerns about our roof given the other damage. We have a lower area I can look at safely, but I don't really know what to look for?

Seems like the majority of the bad stuff was south of the tracks. Our hail came down hot and heavy. Maybe cold and heavy. But it was oddly shaped, almost like a cough drop, and smallish. Perhaps the lack of roundness slowed them down. Zero science behind that theory.

I have a video of the stuff battering the cars right as the power went out. Loud as hell. With two new cars sitting on the drive, was thrilled to find nothing wrong with them in the AM other than being entombed in leaf confetti.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    Yeah, that one was nuts. The combination of sustained 60 mph winds and dense hail... I've never heard anything like it. I have large holes in a few screens, and the "micro-green salad on the ground" is quite a good description of the tree debris that was all around town. We also have some very small dents in some aluminum trim pieces on the house, but they are virtually unnoticeable.

My worry is the roof. The portions of the roof that are visible to me look totally fine, but I can't see everything. We have a Spandikow Special (IKO Cambridge architectural shingles) that is only a few years old, and it still looks as new as can be everywhere that I can actually see. But I'm not adventurous (or stupid?) enough to actually climb on to the higher portions of my house to take a close look.

Has anyone confirmed roof damage from this storm? Is there a reliable business that will go up there an look at it? It just seems like there are scammers everywhere.
    Call the people who put on your roof, they do great work and they're local! I called them this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    Call the people who put on your roof, they do great work and they're local! I called them this morning.
    Do they come out for free, realizing that they might get a roofing job out of it, or are you paying them for an inspection?

I think if you let them come out when they can (versus setting an appointment) they're free.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    I haven't checked the roofs out yet but hopefully I have some damage there and can get a new roof on the old part of the house - it's probably five years away from actually needing it so I wouldn't mind an upgrade. We've already had hail damage contractors ringing the bell. I'd be wary of those folks. We looked into it at our old house after a hail storm and it had a pretty sleazy feel and not quite the panacea those sales people claim it will be.
    The hail damage crews are still out. Had someone at my door today. At first I thought they were going to try to sell me magazines. Although it does make me wonder if I should have someone reputable check ours out.

Seems like anyone that pursues it is getting a new roof, I should probably have ours inspected. I tried the layperson inspection and think I can see damage similar to online tutorials, but hard to say.

My car is in the body shop for 10 days so they can, most likely, and hopefully, fix the approx. 200+ dents the hail caused to 2 doors, 2 quarter panels, the roof and the hood. I'll believe it when I see it, as I don't know what to expect. I know I'll have to sign off on it, and I will be out there looking at the work for 20 minutes at least before I sign on that dotted line.

House, and roof, is undetermined as yet. Screens done - had to do that first to keep the bugs, which are now hail-sized, outside. Paint will be next. The Allstate people were not real good about getting us a realistic estimate of house damage, like I expected that they'd off up something fair. Might need to hire a public adjuster to help us out. One thing for sure, the roof will be replaced, hail or not. Just getting old - like us.

The roof may be old, but I'm sure you're just seasoned.

Allstate says they can pay for "two shingles." That, and a $1000 deductible, won't buy a cup of coffee. Screens and paint, those they are willing to pay for. Great, just great. If I add up all the 30 years of insurance premiums, besides throwing up when I see the total, we could have bought three new roofs, at least, and had enough left over for a cruise.