Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: So What's a Subdivision?

  1. #1
    Forum All Star middlein87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Posh YMCA District
    Posts
    2,240

    So What's a Subdivision?

    I was tooling around the new GE village website and under "maps" there is this link to a map of subdivisions in GE.

    I was surprised to find that I technically am in a subdivision. Now, we have a variety of housing stock in this subdivision with some old ones like mine (original part of the house is from the 1920s), some 50's era ranches still around and of course a lot of McMansions. So this obviously wasn't the stereotypical subdivision where one builder comes in and throws up houses of maybe 5 different floor plans all within a few years of each other.

    And on that map you'll also see subdivisions of a single or just a few housing lots.

    So......what gives? What is technically a subdivision, and why does the Village still keep track of them? We don't have an HOA or any special taxing body....so..........???

  2. #2
    Forum All Star jombl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,871
    I believe every deed in Glen Ellyn lists in the legal description of the property its subdivision name. It is still common to use the property owners name, so for example; if you split your lot in half, each subdivision would, by your choice and deferring to common practice, use "Middlein87" as part of its legal description.

    I have to imagine the map is a subset of that and may simply indicate properties that have special zoning included in the code. Special zoning [i.e. variances] is common, for example, with planned unit development subdivisions.
    Last edited by jombl; 05-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    761
    Pretty sure the term "subdivision" in this context is more related to keeping record of land boundaries going back to the 1800's, and not the modern use of the phrase subdivision which typically relates to zoning.

    Illinois Plat Law (link)

  4. #4
    Forum All Star jombl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,871
    Yes, but re-check the map in M87's question.

    It specifies, names, numbers and highlights in color only a limited subset of those 'land boundaries going back to the 1800s' you refer to. Yet everyone is in a subdivision. I don't believe that there is any difference in the modern use of the phrase from today to 1899, nor could there be.

    Fan should know, I'm pretty sure he has some experience in these concepts at both the private and governmental level...
    Last edited by jombl; 05-16-2019 at 01:42 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum All Star GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,088
    NEBF is correct, I think. Here is a GE 1918 subdivision map. Notice the "Saunder's Subdivision" in the bottom right, depicting the old "T.A. Store" labeled groceries, and the auto/gas station on the same property, later the T.A.'s parking lot when the pumps (only) were taken out, and then later redeveloped into Spicely Park (tanks below - unsellable?) and the apartment buildings surrounding the little park. Also note the lack of the tunnel(s). That came later.

    Oh, and the clock/parking on Main? Auto repair center, and pumps.

    Last edited by GESince1958; 05-16-2019 at 04:56 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    I was tooling around the new GE village website and under "maps" there is this link to a map of subdivisions in GE.

    I was surprised to find that I technically am in a subdivision. Now, we have a variety of housing stock in this subdivision with some old ones like mine (original part of the house is from the 1920s), some 50's era ranches still around and of course a lot of McMansions. So this obviously wasn't the stereotypical subdivision where one builder comes in and throws up houses of maybe 5 different floor plans all within a few years of each other.

    And on that map you'll also see subdivisions of a single or just a few housing lots.

    So......what gives? What is technically a subdivision, and why does the Village still keep track of them? We don't have an HOA or any special taxing body....so..........???
    I found it odd that I live in the most subdivision looking neighborhood on the North Side of Glen Ellyn and we're not a subdivision...

  7. #7
    Forum All Star GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I found it odd that I live in the most subdivision looking neighborhood on the North Side of Glen Ellyn and we're not a subdivision...
    Do you have a copy of your home's survey? I'd bet dollars to Taylor tunnels that it will say something about it there.

  8. #8
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Do you have a copy of your home's survey? I'd bet dollars to Taylor tunnels that it will say something about it there.
    I'm talking the Village subdivision map that Middle posted, not the one listed on our plat of survey (many perhaps most of those were done before houses were even considered).

  9. #9
    Forum All Star GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I'm talking the Village subdivision map that Middle posted, not the one listed on our plat of survey (many perhaps most of those were done before houses were even considered).
    The maps I have show every major area of GE since 1918 through 1940. Most all areas have names of subdivisions plastered over them. Please compare Middlein's map with the one I posted. Perhaps by 2007 they've lost the original names, disregarded them, or a new naming conventions have been established.

    Maybe PM me an intersection nearest you and I can look it up in my records and send you an old map with the subdivision names.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •