Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Real Estate Tax, Glen Ellyn

2019 Real Estate Tax, Glen Ellyn

Big boost this year, we saw a 15.1% increase on our real estate tax. My 15.1% increase in actual billed tax was derived from an assessed value that rose a more inflation rational 3.9%.
    Last edited by jombl; 05-02-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: :)

Nope. Only a 1.2% increase here.

I think a 'Home Improvement Exemption' might have rolled off. I'll check it tomorrow.

If so, it was apparently big enough to notice, but not big enough to remember....

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Nope. Only a 1.2% increase here.
    +1 (give or take on the decimal)

1.3% . . .

About one percent or a little under two hundred . But State income tax went up by some thirty percent. State income tax has almost double since 2011. And Illinois still has some of lowest funding pensions in the nation and still has a backlog of unpaid bills . And has no rainy day fund.

+1.7% here

A quick calculation of my property tax bill and looking at a two homes in my neighborhood that are listed as contingent I'm paying about 2.4 percent of my homes value in property taxes. Nationally the average I believe is around 1.5 percent in Chicago it's below two percent. Also property values have stayed flat here the last couple of years. So the only good thing you can say is that our property tax increases are going up at roughly the rate of appreciation. But we still pay some of the highest property taxes in Illinois which has some of the highest in the nation.

Just looked at my bill again - how does it cost more to run the library than it does to run the park district?

Just looked at my bill again - how does it cost more to run the library than it does to run the park district?
    Probably because the PD gets user fee revenue. Library - not so much.

Here's the Park District Annual Financial Report - see pie chart page 3

Here's the Library's AFR - see pie chart page 4

Property Taxes - PD got $5.1MM, and the Library got $4.6MM.

I imagine the library's taxing district is smaller in size than the park districts, so the 4.6 is distributed over less households.

The PD, by the way, received $6.2MM in program fees, rental income, and "charges for services" whatever that means.
    Last edited by middlein87; 05-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.

The library's holdings are about 6:1 electronic, with much or possibly total duplication of all physical media in the electronic collection.

If the community were to go to a fully electronic virtual library with a considerably scaled down social space - we could literally spend many millions of dollars a year on content, electronic access and educational programs.

Imagine how truly useful that could be.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    The library's holdings are about 6:1 electronic, with much or possibly total duplication of all physical media in the electronic collection.

If the community were to go to a fully electronic virtual library with a considerably scaled down social space - we could literally spend many millions of dollars a year on content, electronic access and educational programs.

Imagine how truly useful that could be.
    Just curious - do you visit the library often to see how many human beings are in there are various points - e.g., parents with their kids, students, seniors, etc. I have to admit I was pretty surprised that the library seems pretty busy day and evening, both with specific programs and just people reading/studying/researching.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about encouraging yet more electronic interaction. I'm not sure that's a plus for society as a whole.
    Last edited by darlili; 05-06-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Probably because the PD gets user fee revenue.
    Seems like the level of "fees per registration" has been outpacing inflation, too. However, that's a completely unscientific guesstimate. Might just be champagne taste on our part.

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    Just curious - do you visit the library often to see how many human beings are in there are various points - e.g., parents with their kids, students, seniors, etc. I have to admit I was pretty surprised that the library seems pretty busy day and evening, both with specific programs and just people reading/studying/researching.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about encouraging yet more electronic interaction. I'm not sure that's a plus for society as a whole.
    Outside of going there to get a passport, I not sure I have been to the library since 2002.

So, that's approximately $12,750+ per visit over the last 17 years. That's a worse return than a country club.

Outside of going there to get a passport, I not sure I have been to the library since 2002.

So, that's approximately $12,750+ per visit over the last 17 years. That's a worse return than a country club.
    Probably a lot of people in Glen Ellyn who could argue similarly about School Districts 41, 87, 89, and 502

Might be more apropos to do the math on what the Village Links costs us.....