Thread: Chalking tires ruled unconstitutional

Chalking tires ruled unconstitutional

GE's primary source of revenue has been ruled unconstitutional. Can we expect GE to immediately suspend the practice?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-finds-n997326

Forum Demi-god
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    GE's primary source of revenue has been ruled unconstitutional. Can we expect GE to immediately suspend the practice?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-finds-n997326
    Good post Dave...I thought I was going to "be the one" to post this (someone alerted me last night)...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.f12d56bf1a9d

"The age-old parking enforcement practice of tire-chalking is unconstitutional, a federal appeals court ruled Monday, saying it violated the Fourth Amendment’s bar on unreasonable searches.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, in a first-of-its-kind decision, ruled that marking a car’s tires to gather information is a form of trespass requiring a warrant, similar to police attaching a GPS to a vehicle to track a suspected drug dealer.

Parking attendants across the country have been chalking tires with big white lines for decades in zones without meters to enforce of time limits and issue tickets. It’s a substantial source of revenue for many cities.

The decision, while undoubtedly bringing joy to parking scofflaws everywhere, could cost some cities money, either from lost revenue or having to install meters where none exist."

Forum Demi-god
    FYI, little birdie told me "they" are going to do safety "checkpoints" on May 1 to nail all those village sticker scofflaws. You've been warned!

What does that mean? I’m transitioning cars. Have a 14 day overlap. What to do?????

Forum Demi-god
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    What does that mean? I’m transitioning cars. Have a 14 day overlap. What to do?????
    Fan, sorry, it was a joke. That said, I do know that if you park in the CBD, or a village lot, the GEPD runs plates and if they identify you are a resident and don't have a sticker, you get a ticket. But no, they aren't doing a "crackdown," I think they are more focused on changing the next Coffee with Cops date, procuring a fourth unmarked police vehicle and test-driving urban assault vehicles and/or tanks.

Those are the only 'right to park' states. Chalking is still legal here.

"U.S. Circuit Judge Bernice Bouie Donald wrote that when drivers pull into parking spaces, "the city commences its search on vehicles that are parked legally, without probable cause or even so much as 'individualized suspicion of wrongdoing' — the touchstone of the reasonableness standard."
    Could this also apply to the automatic license plate scanning systems some police departments use while driving around?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    FYI, little birdie told me "they" are going to do safety "checkpoints" on May 1 to nail all those village sticker scofflaws. You've been warned!
    Don't give them any more ideas.