Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D41 Election Results

Forum Regular
    Keep in mind that less than 20% of the people bothered to vote. There’s no telling how the majority actually feels. The votes were counted and the liberal machine won out. Deal with it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    And this election was a referendum on the actions of Clark and Buccholtz--particularly the elimination of specialization and the railroading of Dr. Gordon. They pushed too far, and the voters pushed back. You don't think people cared about either of these things? I can tell you definitively that they did. Without a doubt.
    So now that the pesky Clark and Buchholz are out of the way, can we expect the new board to bring back teacher specialization? If it was so beloved by the community, I would assume the bottom 3 supporters will be showing up in droves campaigning to bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post
    So now that the pesky Clark and Buchholz are out of the way, can we expect the new board to bring back teacher specialization? If it was so beloved by the community, I would assume the bottom 3 supporters will be showing up in droves campaigning to bring it back.
    I think Clark and Buchholz only took it out for second grade since common core standards for early elementary are written for K-2. I know there was a ton of pushback when they did this but it was the best decision for kids. Gordon probably should have stopped it or at the very least provided data for keeping it. He took out WIN time, multiage and looping so why keep specialization? Even Karen Carlson, the Assistant Sup at the time, conceded there was no real good reason to keep it.It will be interesting to see what the new board does as more global research does not support specialization for elementary kids.

I suppose it would depend on the administration recommendation. School boards should not be dictating and directing their own vote on the implementation or elimination of teaching methods/systems. We should wait and see what the new super brings forward as a recommendation.

So now that the pesky Clark and Buchholz are out of the way, can we expect the new board to bring back teacher specialization?
    If you are expecting it to be their first vote within minutes of being seated, I suspect you’ll be disappointed. They’ll probably be more focused on renewing the trust of the community through transparency and open dialogue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    If you are expecting it to be their first vote within minutes of being seated, I suspect you’ll be disappointed.

Things like the tax increase referendum will probably take the summer to peak out. They need first to create an excuse and then drum up artificial urgency before the threats are pulled out to drive people.

It's pretty much a science now. If you pull up previous tax increase referendum calendars you'll likely find a well tested timeline, just scratch out the year and put in 2019/2020. I doubt the "coincidental" overlay and similar dire warnings and threats will surprise anyone.

Any wagers on the ad copy/warnings/threats that will be used to market it? Bonus points: name four people you know will be quoted in the press or stand up before the board to argue its end-of-the-world criticality for the children.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-18-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Things like the tax increase referendum will probably take the summer to peak out. They need first to create an excuse and then drum up artificial urgency before the threats are pulled out to drive people.
    I think you are responding to someone else’s post. Mine was a response to Innovator’s “Specialization” comment.

I do however give you credit for not mentioning unions at all...

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    I suppose it would depend on the administration recommendation. School boards should not be dictating and directing their own vote on the implementation or elimination of teaching methods/systems. We should wait and see what the new super brings forward as a recommendation.
    + 1, DTM...

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

It's pretty much a science now. If you pull up previous tax increase referendum calendars you'll likely find a well tested timeline, just scratch out the year and put in 2019/2020. I doubt the "coincidental" overlay and similar dire warnings and threats will surprise anyone.

Any wagers on the ad copy/warnings/threats that will be used to market it? Bonus points: name four people you know will be quoted in the press or stand up before the board to argue its end-of-the-world criticality for the children.
    There’s going to be a steep learning curve with this new board as no one has more than two years experience as a board member. My money is on a referendum vote will happen with the next board election in two years so another “non slate” can push those views. Can’t name anyone other than to say whoever is leading the union at the time will make public comments then.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    And yet-

https://www.d41.org/cms/lib/IL019046...es_3_11_13.pdf

D41 Election Results

Lolita - Are you suggesting that the Board 6 years ago came up with the Curriculum changes all on their own?Against recommendations from empaneled committees or the counsel of experts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita View Post
    Lolita,

Thank you for sharing that. On page 2 of those minutes under Superintendent Recommendations, you see Think Tank Recommendation and Teacher Specialization.

DTM

Forum Regular
    I’m glad someone else finds the irony here. If it were up to the administration at the time, there would have never been a vote for the board to make. The fact that DTM says the new super should be able to make that recommendation is something that the community asked for at the time, but fell on deaf ears with board members. Perhaps if they chose to listen we could have avoided the Gordon circus.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    I’m glad someone else finds the irony here.
    Yes, isn't it ironic that Ms Clark sidestepped answering direct questions with the notion that the new Super would come in and review everything and make recommendations. Not preemptively strike an in place teaching method on the first night of a new Board.

Yet, I don't want to add to the crowd of dead horse beaters, so I will leave this conversation to fend for itself.

Forum Regular
    Just like a fly ball at Wrigley Field today, you’ve totally missed the point.