Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D41 Election Results

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    So how just about everyone in the D41 threads acts...
    LOL, you beat me to it.

So how just about everyone in the D41 threads acts...
    Words of a wise man.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Words of a wise man.
    ....can't be talking about me....

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Words of a wise man.
    If that were a true statement, there wouldn't be an extra word in my post.

If that were a true statement, there wouldn't be an extra word in my post.
    I just how thought that was how just the way you spoke.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    Meh. Too overly complicated, and nearly a conspiracy theory....
    I think you underestimate the political powers at play here. I agree with Jombl on this. After seeing the election last November, the outcome didn’t surprise me. The bottom 3 turned a local school board election into a political spectacle. People clearly voted for “party” not the people. Anyone who watched that video from the league forum knows that.

Most of the town could care less about Gordon or teacher specialization. The bottom 3 just used it as kindling on the fire. If Clark and Buchholz renewed Gordon would things have gone differently? Would Schumacher and GE Love suddenly embrace Clark and Buchholz?

It’s easy to say people didn’t like Buchholz and it cost him votes. If you look at how closely Clark and him were aligned in votes compared to the bottom 3 it doesn’t hold true.

My guess is the conservative sect in town weren’t motivated to go vote. Clark and Buchholz didn’t do themselves any favors by holding taxes. Everyone was lulled into complacency. When the bottom 3 led by Bruno go to a referendum for full day kindergarten, we’ll see who makes up a majority of the town.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post
    I think you underestimate the political powers at play here. I agree with Jombl on this. After seeing the election last November, the outcome didn’t surprise me. The bottom 3 turned a local school board election into a political spectacle. People clearly voted for “party” not the people. Anyone who watched that video from the league forum knows that.

Most of the town could care less about Gordon or teacher specialization. The bottom 3 just used it as kindling on the fire. If Clark and Buchholz renewed Gordon would things have gone differently? Would Schumacher and GE Love suddenly embrace Clark and Buchholz?

It’s easy to say people didn’t like Buchholz and it cost him votes. If you look at how closely Clark and him were aligned in votes compared to the bottom 3 it doesn’t hold true.

My guess is the conservative sect in town weren’t motivated to go vote. Clark and Buchholz didn’t do themselves any favors by holding taxes. Everyone was lulled into complacency. When the bottom 3 led by Bruno go to a referendum for full day kindergarten, we’ll see who makes up a majority of the town.
    Just a favor - instead of saying 'most of the town', might people reference District 41 specifically if a decision/debate centers only around that school district. District 89 - that other Glen Ellyn school district - has had FDK for a while, so obviously a fair number of folks 'in town' feel it's an important option. As do most districts around us. IMO, of course.

I know this post was under D41, but I do think all too often people in D41 think they're the only folks who live in Glen Ellyn - or maybe the only folks who count. Another reason I doubt I'd vote for combining the districts at this point.

I have not participated much in this forum but have been reading through these comments about District 41 as I am very interested as a taxpayer. I keep seeing the name Bruno mentioned. Can someone give me a little background about who Bruno is. I should mention that I did vote for Clark Bucholtz as they seemed more concerned about spending taxpayer money wisely.
    Last edited by rayman29; 04-12-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Play nicely, kids.

Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post

You definitely OVERESTIMATE the political powers at play, and the influence they can wield in a moderate town like Glen Ellyn. This type of election can't really be bought with a teachers union throwing dollars at it. It's not a big money congressional race... What does a big spend get you? More flyers? One sign each per candidate instead of a shared sign? Most of the flyers go straight from the mailbox to the trash. There is no TV spend. Most of the voter reach out was through social media and social networks in town. I know this because I witnessed it first hand. I personally know the FB posters, the letter writers, and many of the candidates and current board members.

There was a sense that the school board was out of control and meddling too much in the day-to-day operations of the district. It's a bit ironic, since the old board majority seems to have at least somewhat formed as a reaction to Think Tank, which was also an overreach. But none-the-less, this was the sense of many (most?) district parents.

November happened because most people around here strongly dislike Donald Trump, not because the voters is the 6th district suddenly embraced political liberalism (though there has been a gradual leftward shift in DuPage county going back decades). And this election was a referendum on the actions of Clark and Buccholtz--particularly the elimination of specialization and the railroading of Dr. Gordon. They pushed too far, and the voters pushed back. You don't think people cared about either of these things? I can tell you definitively that they did. Without a doubt.

I will concede that the union could have had a part in getting volunteers to run for office. I don't know the origin story of Bob Bruno's candidacy, but he has certainly been cozy with unions throughout his career, so it seems clear that a discussion was had and that he was encouraged to run. And there was certainly an attempt to get some like-minded people together with a base of support from the union, PTA leadership, and others who formed this coalition. I'm not sure it mattered who ran, however. As long as it wasn't Clarkholtz. And unfortunately "none of the above" wasn't an option.

I would also post a word of warning to the new board majority. If they consistently talk of "maxing the levy", conspicuously increase spending, and try to initiate a bunch of new expensive building projects and referenda, they will face serous opposition. I don't think a majority of local voters want grandiose, expansive changes to the status quo, and property taxes can quickly heat up as an issue.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I would also post a word of warning to the new board majority. If they consistently talk of "maxing the levy", conspicuously increase spending, and try to initiate a bunch of new expensive building projects and referenda, they will face serous opposition. I don't think a majority of local voters want grandiose, expansive changes to the status quo, and property taxes can quickly heat up as an issue.
    Wow Glenly, if you would have posted your thoughts months ago, it probably would have saved all the vitriol on this forum. Very level headed thinking IMO.
    (Then again, Clam would not have been able to reap the benefits of increased usage )

Quote Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
    I have not participated much in this forum but have been reading through these comments about District 41 as I am very interested as a taxpayer. I keep seeing the name Bruno mentioned. Can someone give me a little background about who Bruno is. I should mention that I did vote for Clark Bucholtz as they seemed more concerned about spending taxpayer money wisely.
    Bruno is a public union guy. His spouse is a retired D 41 teacher. She was on record at a board meeting asking for the last referendum to be 40-50 million instead of the 24 that it ended up being. They are at least a 2 pension family, probably a third one from what ever state he taught in before he came here. He gives a rip about your taxes. If you followed last week's election, his board mates don't give a rip either. They will vote for a full levy this December, which will increase your property taxes starting next year.

To those D 41 citizens that didn't vote this April or didn't take the time to learn about the candidates and have allowed this district to go back to the dark ages, you can do better. Voting in a free society isn't just a right, it is an obligation. Look at the percentages of people that voted a couple generations ago, vs. now. It is embarrassing.

More of this...

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    Something not really brought up, out loud, but needs to be.

One of the soon to be former board members, a person that has given tons of time to do that job, is a local businessperson. I have learned that during the member's tenure, one of the perks of being a board member was losing some business. Because of being a board member.

Most people serve the public to gain business.

While this sucks for that person and I certainly don’t like the chilling effect this can cause on public service, it’s pretty much a private problem and not a public problem, no? After all, he/she decided to run and advise as they did. I can’t imagine the Presidency has been very good on Trump, Inc.