Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D41 Election Results

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...yn-district-41

Buttimer, Estes, and Hill, however, had the backing of the teachers union....

When I saw the incredible ground organization the Democrats put on the streets of Glen Ellyn in the November election last year, and the dominance of the teachers union money, muscle, communication and teachers union affiliated candidates (many of whom were at one time on Glen Ellyn area school boards) - you had to know the D41 election was theirs. All they had to do was choose their representatives. There was no way a machine like the one we witnessed last fall would would even cool down by spring, and there was no way the teachers union that built, manned and funded it was not going to use it at the school board level.

Other things that doomed reform:

• Not having a third candidate. This was disastrous and gave voters a poor impression, the optics (and lack of campaigner) of not presenting a full team were crippling. It also made it very difficult to make the argument of a clean choice.
    • The success of making it a Democratic Party targeted race can't be missed. It worked, they won as a Party.
    • Although a sideshow for many, those that made this for some voters a fight about race, immigration, guns and Trump found success. It worked, it did agitate and highly motivate. Bitter hate for the enemy of Progressives drove many to the polls.
    • The Chicago mayoral race. Any number of progressives were motivated to go and vote in solidarity with, and as a way of participating in, a historic election day for Chicago. (This is common for hot races anywhere to motivate voters of both parties. Increased turnout in neighboring races does happen. With these totals though, it was clearly not the tipping point here.)
    • High negatives and the personalization of one candidate. When reformers are badmouthing 1/2 the slate and trying to torpedo one to settle personal scores and sleights, the other candidate, now a mere token opposition of one against the three marching in unison under party banners is no match for the machine, money and power that held all the chits from the administration, newspapers and Democratic Party.
    • The delayed exodus. Glen Ellyn has had a backup of people trying to sell and get out, this election will have found an electorate with a higher turnover from before. Not only are the younger homeowners always historically more trusting and supportive of the union line of "what's good for the union is what's good for the children", they are also more likely to be fertile ground for the new local school board progressive campaign agenda of keeping guns and the KKK out of Glen Ellyn elementary schools.
    • Dirty vs. Clean campaign. Reform ran a clean campaign focused on the issues. Union ran a classic slander & whisper campaign and had the troops to pull it off. No contest, it was devastating.
    • Baggage. Bruno, a professional union organizer and teacher of organizing tactics, was extremely successful at creating controversy and saddling reform with deadweight in order to frame the election on his terms. Bruno could, and did, trot out protesters effortlessly. A true pro, he and his wife have played D41 like a fiddle dating back to at least the days of the "Wallflower" controversy. The union slate had both sides of the debate in this election, they spoke for their opponents - and themselves. The Bruno's may easily have been the most important element.

I'll guess the first thing we will see is 'Full Day Kindergarten'. It is the number one item on the agenda for the teachers union in Springfield. Expect it to happen in the usual way, a citizens advisory council will be formed and will, surprise, find that we are all suddenly not only near unanimously for it and the additional hires from the union rolls - but cannot even imagine life without it at any cost. Then the referendum. No doubt, buried inside the referendum will be additional funding to pay for the upcoming new teachers contract.

I have long counseled against forecasting the future in print or out loud, but here I'll carve this one in stone: The new D41 teachers union contract will be the most expensive ever seen here and will beat, in its general totality (and possibly in its individual particulars) any other district in Northern Illinois for; increase of staff/student ratio under contract scale (i.e dues), power/direct union authority and veto over all aspects of D41, union benefits and pay scales. Bar none.

Another area that will be interesting to watch is the administration as they now work for a union owned and staffed school board with the full power and protection of political office. Who knows what the union can accomplish with $75 million a year, a yoked administration, D41's tax payer funded lawyers and a compliant Springfield?
    Last edited by jombl; 04-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Regular
    Jombl - you hit it out of the park with your post - the libs/union are more powerful than ever in GE, makes me sick and poorer as they promise to dig deeper into our pockets

Meh. Too overly complicated, and nearly a conspiracy theory.

I haven't publicly supported any of the candidates and will not share how I voted. And while it's clear to me that one side did a much better job of getting their message out online and through the various interconnected friend networks and local organizations, I think it really came down to two particular acts of unpopular board activism that doomed Clarkholtz:

1. A lot of people were angry about the failure to retain Dr. Gordon. Sure, he has some detractors on this forum, but most voters didn't like how the current board basically ran him out of town. Gordon was somewhat popular with parents, and it seemed like score settling to many people.

2. Additionally, the board deciding to mess with specialization again angered a lot of parents with kids in the lower elementary grades. Even if they weren't in love with the specialization model, many parents were angry that the board was involving itself and making YET ANOTHER CHANGE to the structure of the classes after it seemed as though things had settled down into a workable equilibrium.

I don't want to pile on with a personal attack, but I will also add that one half of Clarkholtz became deeply unpopular in town after a few well-publicized outbursts at school board meetings. People just didn't like this candidate, in spite of online pleas from family members.

I give this just a few years before the school board flips to a more fiscally conservative direction again. It will just take a higher property tax bill or two. Or a massive multi-million dollar Kindergarten Center referendum. Glen Ellyn is still a very politically centrist community at its heart, and is in no danger of becoming another Oak Park or Madison, WI.
    Last edited by Glenly Ellynby; 04-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Glenly Ellynby - you hit it out of the park with your post.

I will admit that I didn't vote. Shame on me.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Glenly Ellynby - you hit it out of the park with your post.

I will admit that I didn't vote. Shame on me.
    You lazy, uninvolved %$#@&$!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    You lazy, uninvolved %$#@&$!!!
    True. Very true.

Where have you been in the mornings? Did you leave my train car? You've been missed. So much to discuss. So much recent Jussie news.

Forum Regular
    +1 Glenly Ellynby

Although I have to give a +1 to Jombl as well (For the chuckle)

D41 Election Results

Glenly - “nearly?”
    😂

Sent from the Black Helicopter via Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 04-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Ackerman and his ilk's entire political philosophy, political process, political decorum and political belief system has been getting consistently crushed in Illinois over the last 3 years...and it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Time for that group to look in the mirror and reassess. Hopefully it happens soon because Glen Ellyn and Illinois needs it ASAP.
    Pretty accurate. The public employee unions and their mostly Democratic politicians pretty much have an iron grip on the State. I don't see that changing any time soon. Politicians who opposed or questioned the benefits given to them, whether it was Emanuel, Quinn, or Rauner have been either voted out of office or decided it wasn't worth the effort. So to go against them is to risk political suicide. What that means for the State itself, probably isn't good over the long haul. But for them life will be very good.

True. Very true.

Where have you been in the mornings? Did you leave my train car? You've been missed. So much to discuss. So much recent Jussie news.
    Your message came through loud and clear, friend. Not only am I not in your car . . . . I won't take your train any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Your message came through loud and clear, friend. Not only am I not in your car . . . . I won't take your train any longer.
    Good, the group is growing exponentially anyways. Would have been awkward when we would have to invariably throw you out of the group. It's best this way.

Yeah, a few minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjV....be&t=2h52m48s

I guess it got better....

What a disaster.

Stephanie will be missed in my opinion though - not an easy job. Certainly not a job I could ever do.

IMHO, Clark asked questions that are pertinent to the negative reputation of special education in D41. In the last year alone at least a half-dozen parents have publicly spoken about their unfortunate experiences and IEP problems. For Nelson to accuse Clark of making this a personal request is laughable. Why isn’t Nelson concerned for these kids?

And Loebach. He apologizes for swearing then drops the f-bomb during the last 5 minutes of the meeting. Good God. How does he think he was personally attacked but Clark wasn’t?? I’m impressed Clark kept her composure and didn’t let it drop. Nelson is shady as hell.

Sorry to see that the voters got this wrong. The only one I’ll be happy to see gone is Nelson. And after this episode, hoping Loebach is next.

https://youtu.be/DCjVFVME5gw