Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terra Costa-Howard (D) Il House

Terra Costa-Howard (D) Il House

Costa-Howard has voted to pass Il HB3394 imposing a strict legal requirement that corporations must have a black and a female board member at all times.

No word on why she chose to discriminate against requiring state imposed token corporate board memberships for Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans and LGBTQ , among others.

No doubt these new right-thinking government dictates will have progressive businesses from across America flocking to Illinois any day now... or at least those that don`t care for the rights of Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, unions, handicapped, Pacific Islanders, reformed felons and LGBTQ

California just did something similar (but only for gender) last year. I have to believe this will be challenged at some point....

From CapitolFax Today:

"AD PULLED Freshman Rep. Terra Costa Howard (D-Glen Ellyn) was reportedly none too pleased when Think Big Illinois began running TV ads in her district.

Think Big Illinois is the dark money group created to support Gov. JB Pritzker's progressive income tax proposal. It started running ads late last week in four individual House districts a couple of days after an opposing dark money group called Ideas Illinois targeted the same Democratic House members: Costa Howard, Monica Bristow, Jonathan Carroll and Mary Edly-Allen.

One of the Ideas Illinois ads ended by telling viewers: "Tell Terra Costa Howard to vote 'No' on the jobs tax." A pro-Pritzker Think Big Illinois ad told viewers: "Tell Terra Costa Howard to vote 'Yes' and put the middle class first."

None of the four Democrats were given a heads-up about the pro-tax ads. And word got around that Rep. Costa Howard wasn't exactly pleased, so a Think Big staffer reached out to her. I'm told she didn't specifically demand that the ad be taken down, but the group pulled the spot off of cable almost right away.

Costa Howard scored a huge victory when she defeated Republican Rep. Peter Breen last November. Breen (R-Lombard) is a nationally known pro-life attorney and by last year had become the House Republican floor leader. But Costa Howard beat him by a solid seven points.

Normally, legislators likeCosta Howard are encouraged by staff to not stick out their necks on controversial legislation. Costa Howard voted against the $15 minimum wage bill, as did Reps. Bristow and Edly-Allen. The idea is to hold the seat for the party and let other, more politically secure members pick up the slack.

But the governor needs 71 House votes to put his graduated income tax proposal on the ballot, and since the House Republicans are universally opposed, he can't afford to lose more than three Democratic votes.

While the purpose behind the ads was to defend fellow Democrats against attacks from the other side, the ads can be perceived as Democrats being pressured in their own home districts by a billionaire governor to "put the middle class first" and vote for his tax plan. A vote against that plan, of course, would be perceived in that frame as a vote against "the middle class."

Also, governors tend to inform legislators when they so much as travel to their districts. It's seen as a common courtesy. Running TV ads without notice like this is simply unheard-of.

Meanwhile, Think Big Illinois has also pulled its statewide ad off the air. Unlike the three remaining targeted ads, which were renewed, the statewide ads featured Gov. Pritzker. A new ad could be back up as early as next week."

Ms. Howard took Mike Madigan's money, and got a great deal of support from the public employee unions. So the ads may have been a reminder as to who paid for her election, and who supported her. I don't think this was a mistake. It was perhaps a wake up call, reminding her who paid the bills. Remember we made you,and we can break you as well. We'll see if Ms. Howard got the message in a couple of months.

Got a flyer in the mail the other day, advocating me to call Costa Howard to make sure she votes NO on the "Jobs Tax."

Can someone here help me out and tell me what a "Jobs Tax" is?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I'm not sure why they use the phrase "Jobs Tax", but I think the lobbying effort is against the possible constitutional amendment to allow a graduated (i.e. vs flat) income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    I'm not sure why they use the phrase "Jobs Tax", but I think the lobbying effort is against the possible constitutional amendment to allow a graduated (i.e. vs flat) income tax.
    That's what I was figuring, except the flyer had language about the "jobs tax" attacking the middle class. As far as I've heard, the proposed tax hike only targets those earning more than $250k. I'm not sure where they peg "middle class" at, but from what I can make out, less than 3% of Illinoisans make more than $200k.

I'm pretty comfortable in my Glen Ellyn digs. I own a house, own a car, have the luxury of having a stay-at-home wife who shepherds our three boys. If I brought home twice my annual salary I'd still be under the $250k cap, and I'd probably have the luxury of being able to afford a membership at the Glen Oak Country Club.

So, either the author of the "Vote No to the Jobs Tax" flyer is completely out of touch with what income levels constitute the middle class, or they're not being completely forthright.
    Last edited by Minnesoter; 04-04-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Huge win for the Chicago teachers union as their #1 legislative priority of the last twenty years gets passed in the House in a bill co-sponsored by Terra Costa-Howard and supported for the first time by a Chicago mayor and Illinois Governor.

Long opposed by every Chicago mayor up to Rahm Emanuel and other responsible politicians, the Costa-Howard co-sponsored bill will create an elected Chicago school board for the Chicago teachers union, exactly as they have long demanded.

This is the same union which said a couple of months ago "The CTU (Chicago Teachers Union) knows how to put a mayor in place." Apparently the teachers union believes they can also put an elected school board in place.

I would say CTU is correct on both counts. Rahm would certainly agree with that.

250K isn't written in stone it is just what Pritzker says he wants. Once it is passed Mike Madigan will be able to set the tax rates pretty much as he pleases.

Quote Originally Posted by paul kuhn View Post
    250K isn't written in stone it is just what Pritzker says he wants. Once it is passed Mike Madigan will be able to set the tax rates pretty much as he pleases.
    This. A thousand times this.

Once they make it possible to have different rates, you can pretty much guarantee that they push the higher rates further and further down. After all, if you make $200K, you're doing fine. You need to pay your fair share.

And, really, even if you are making $190,000 you are pretty well off, when so many in this State are living paycheck to paycheck.

In fact, $180,000 is quite a lot of money when you think about it...............

I think median income in Illinois is around 62,000 so anything above that and you are doing pretty good.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesoter View Post
    ...except the flyer had language about the "jobs tax" attacking the middle class.
    Reading up on this a bit more, there's an assertion that once high earners are taxed they will move away and take any jobs (or job creation) with them, thus harming the middle class in Illinois. Personal opinion, the folks printing the mailers would be better served with a more direct message that paints a better picture of how the proposed changes may play out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Personal opinion, the folks printing the mailers would be better served with a more direct message that paints a better picture of how the proposed changes may play out over time.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by paul kuhn View Post
    I think median income in Illinois is around 62,000 so anything above that and you are doing pretty good.
    With a minimum Glen Ellyn tax bill of $7,000....that's not very good.

Big win for the teachers union as a 25 year old legislative priority of the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) passes in the Illinois House.

The Terra Costa-Howard supported and approved bill will require Chicago to get approval of the CTU for class schedules, the academic calendar and length of the workday and number of school days amongst others.

According to Crain's the bill will undo a number of pro-children education centric reforms:

"This bill is a short-sighted mistake, pure and simple," a spokeswoman for both City Hall and the Board of Education said in a statement, adding that the bill also would affect class assignment and pupil assessment policies. And it would "undermine the significant academic gains CPS students have made over the past eight years."

"The bill would take away CPS' bargaining leverage," said one top schools insider who asked not to be named. "It will sharply increase the likelihood of a strike" next fall, when a new CTU contract is supposed to go into effect.

Couple this Costa-Howard bill with her co-sponsoring of another bill to allow the CTU to choose their own boss to negotiate their contract with: and one has to ask, what part of this soon to be outrageously expensive new world order drawn with a the teachers union's own pen helps schoolchildren, in any way at all?