Thread: Mohr gas taxes......

Mohr gas taxes......

article:

State Senator Martin Sandoval, D-Chicago, said motorists should expect a push to double the state’s gas tax from 19 cents a gallon to 38 cents heading into the home stretch of spring session

Sandoval's bill proposes to increase the passenger vehicle registration fee from $98 to $148, the electric vehicle fee from $17.50 to $148 and most drivers' license fees from $30 to $60.
    guess the fee per mile plan was dropped?

additionally:

House Bill 102 had already been approved by the House Revenue and Finance Committee. An amendment to allow local government to tack on up to 3 cents a gallon to the state’s current 19 cents a gallon was approved in committee Thursday.
    Last edited by DTM; 03-28-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot something

Add in a plastic bag tax, and a tax on streaming services, and satellite TV as well. Think we pay some of the highest Gas taxes in the nation but somehow that's not enough. And since so many of our roads here are toll roads we'll pay a lot to drive here. Also vehicle registration fee and driver license fee will go up. And you will all need new Driver licenses by sometime in 2020 if you use them to travel.

On the plus side Metra didn't hike its fares because it figures to get more revenue from this.

Did we even have an electric vehicle fee before this? I don't recall having to pay an extra $17.50 the last couple years. I'm OK paying double in gas taxes, as those have not increased per gallon in 3+ decades. That, and I don't use the stuff. But... the 2% driving electric vehicles making up quadruple $$ for the average amount of gas tax they would have used? That isn't fair. Oklahoma was about to do the high tax electric vehicle fee and it was found to be unconstitutional and they had to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Did we even have an electric vehicle fee before this? I don't recall having to pay an extra $17.50 the last couple years. I'm OK paying double in gas taxes, as those have not increased per gallon in 3+ decades. That, and I don't use the stuff. But... the 2% driving electric vehicles making up quadruple $$ for the average amount of gas tax they would have used? That isn't fair. Oklahoma was about to do the high tax electric vehicle fee and it was found to be unconstitutional and they had to drop it.
    This may be why they should switch to a mileage fee.....the more miles you drive on the road, the more you pay.....

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Did we even have an electric vehicle fee before this? I don't recall having to pay an extra $17.50 the last couple years.
    It wasn't an extra fee, it was a reduced rate fee for an EV license plate. $35 for two years rather than ~$101/year for standard passenger vehicle.