Thread: History Center flooded

Forum Demi-god

History Center flooded

Last edited by Cliché; 03-25-2019 at 02:51 PM.

I stopped by The History Center today, to see if I could help for an hour - there is a lot of work to do, and a small and mighty group working. They are trying to move things out so work can be done and it looks like power is out in some areas. If anyone has an hour to spare tomorrow and an empty SUV I bet they would really appreciate the help.

Another example of these village mandated fire suppression systems causing more harm than benefits.

What a shame.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I cannot agree more with Cliché on this point.

Forum Regular
    You have to wonder how much was lost in that basement. Unfortunate.

Water damage covered by insurance can not be equated to the loss of a single firefighter...IMHO. Drywall, carpet and books can be replaced.

I`ve always felt the most interesting thing about things like this is how surprising every cost/benefit analysis always seems to be. As to firefighter safety, this is pretty interesting from an article entitled Sprinklers Made Simple at fireengineering.com :

It's extremely difficult and dangerous to fight a fire when sprinklers are operating. It is recommended that you don't.
    It seems that homeowners have a wide range of sprinkler systems to choose from to meet the building code; dry, wet, gas or foam. And quite a range of sprinkler heads as well. This one, mentioned in the article, caught my eye:

High-pressure water mist sprinkler head.

Developed by and for the cruise ship industry, these sprinkler heads can provide extinguishment into a compartment without necessarily flooding it. The water is discharged as a high mist fog and cools the atmosphere and the burning materials. Other applications include computer rooms instead of gas systems using halon and laboratory fume hoods where the scientists do their experiments. The water output from these heads is negligible, and they are also the only heads that have a filter screen on the nipple where it connects to the piping to eliminate any pipe scale, sludge, or other foreign matter that would be detrimental to the operation of this type of head.
    If the chief complaint about cheap builder installed sprinklers is the risk of flooding, it seems that changing the sprinkler head might be the first consideration of the new owner...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Water damage covered by insurance can not be equated to the loss of a single firefighter...IMHO. Drywall, carpet and books can be replaced.
    Then why are they asking for donations?

Sorry to bother you, but some magnitude would help. Is the deductible $1000? Did they only insure for $10,000 and the damage was $50,000? $100,000?

If the latter is the case then someone should learn about proper insurance levels...

Forum Demi-god
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Sorry to bother you, but some magnitude would help. Is the deductible $1000? Did they only insure for $10,000 and the damage was $50,000? $100,000?

If the latter is the case then someone should learn about proper insurance levels...
    No problem, at first I thought you were serious, "how could someone be mocking a volunteer organization who survives on donations, is for the betterment of the community and has suffered a devastating loss...no fault of their own?" I responded, then quickly deleted. Now I realize, you were joking. Ha. Because...how could someone be so callous? Thanks for the laugh.

April 1 is one week away, your post threw me. You are a funny guy/girl/us/them/it.
    Last edited by Cliché; 03-26-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post
    You have to wonder how much was lost in that basement. Unfortunate.
    I guess it's history now. #sad