Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No 5 Corners Gas Station

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Martinez View Post
    Thank you
    I'm supportive of the things suggested in the code and anything that keeps the buffer in the C2 C2 COMMUNITY COMMERCIAL DISTRICT Zoning Code.
    1. Bakery where not more than 50% of the floor area is devoted to processing.
    2. Commodities sales uses for basic living needs of neighborhoods, such as: art and
    school supply store; bicycle sale and repair shop; book store; camera and photographic supply store; candy and ice cream store; furniture, upholstery, carpet,
    china or glass store; clothing store; department store; toy and hobby shop; hardware store; jewelry or leather goods store; liquor store; garden supply shop;
    electrical and household appliance sales; coin and philatelic store; interior decorating including making of draperies, slip covers and other similar articles;
    sporting goods; musical instrument sale and repair; paint and wallpaper store;
    variety store.
    3. Community support service uses such as: music and dance school; antique shop;
    health spa; mail order store; newspaper office; office supply; pet shop; indoor
    theater; catering; laundry retail; mortuary; photographic and art studio; food store;
    and employment agency.25
    4. Service uses performed on the premises for needs of a neighborhood, such as:
    barber and beauty shop; dressmaking; tailoring; shoe repair; household appliance
    repair; radio or television sales, service and repair; frozen food locker; locksmith;
    millinery shop; travel agency; furrier storage, conditioning or
    sales; picture framing.
    5. Office, business, medical or professional.35
    6. Restaurant and eating place (except drive-in and carry-out establishments)
    without entertainment and dancing and including outdoor seating on private
    property as an accessory use provided such outdoor seating complies with the
    provisions in Section 10-5-15.25
    7. Historical Facility.35

Wow. This list sure proves that the codes need some updating...and variance procedures. Three fourths of these businesses do not exist anymore...or if they still do, they’re hanging on by a thread or about to go out of business.

A radio repair shop...that’s funny.

I’d be surprised if any entity shows any interest in that land

The ground has gone through complete remediation. There was a question or statement on one of the myriad Facebook pages as to whether it had or had not. It has.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    The ground has gone through complete remediation. There was a question or statement on one of the myriad Facebook pages as to whether it had or had not. It has.
    thank you!

We discovered in court according to Staci's testimony, that it was not fully remediated. The village only remediated to a "No further remediation level"
    which is why we are in this situation they should have FULLY remediated it when they said they were going to.
    We also found out through the court testimony of a village employee ... "The health, safety, and welfare of residents is not in my the job description".
    I sometimes wonder if there is more contamination than we know.

Doubt it matters, given the covenants, no one will develop that property

We discovered in court according to Staci's testimony, that it was not fully remediated. The village only remediated to a "No further remediation level"
    which is why we are in this situation they should have FULLY remediated it when they said they were going to.
    We also found out through the court testimony of a village employee ... "The health, safety, and welfare of residents is not in my the job description".
    Yes, found that out after I posted that semi-inaccurate declaration. I am cancelling my annual picnic on the property for the time being.

Those depositions were tough to read. The village really had some sketchy representation . . . which is good for you.

This is a bit deceiving. 99.9% of every real estate deal I’ve been involved in that has an environmental concern is remediated solely to the level that the owner gets an NFR letter (or no further remediation). The village did nothing out of the ordinary or nothing less than any other owner would have done in this particular circumstance.

There are about 10 properties in GE that have not been further developed due to the possible contamination in the soil beneath, from old gas stations or fuel oil destinations. This is an educated guess on my part. They have been repurposed into only parks and parking lots. I inherited several old surveys long ago that show gas pumps in the 20's through the early 60's. None of those locations have any development over them currently. My guess is that remediation was either never done, or was incomplete. Add one now for 5 corners. Illinois has probably tens of thousands of properties in this condition.

Yes, but most all properties with an NFR can be developed.

Forum All Star
    We discovered ... The village only remediated to a "No further remediation level"
    Do you have a copy of the No Further Remediation (NFR) Letter from the IEPA? It looks like the answers may be found in the NFR letter itself, according to this:

A NFR letter provides the best form of state certification available to demonstrate that a site is in compliance with environmental regulations and does not represent a threat to human health or the environment.

A site may be issued a “conditional” NFR letter with an industrial/commercial deed restriction, a groundwater use prohibition, or the requirement to maintain engineered barriers such as concrete and asphalt pavement, or 3-feet of clean soil in unpaved landscaped areas.

All these Illinois EPA-approved risk-based options are common components of NFR letters issued since 1997 and directly imply that some degree of contamination still remains on the site.

The NFR letter will tell you exactly how much contamination is left and what can or can not be developed on the property and where. It’s likely recorded against the parcel and can be read for free at the DuPage County Recorder’s website. Just plug in the PIN and/or the address of the property and it should be there in all its glory to read. NFR letters are, afterall, public records.

Yes the land can absolutely be developed for an office building or retail, there is only an exception about overnight facility for seniors but please don't quote me I don't recall the exact wording.