Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casten involved in D41 election

Forum Regular

Casten involved in D41 election

Why is a congressman supporting candidates in a local non-partisan school board election?

B307AE73-0446-4CAA-9087-818A572AE315.jpg

Fantastic.

I liked it better when local elections were non-partisan.

This really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Solak View Post
    Fantastic.

I liked it better when local elections were non-partisan.

This really sucks.
    It sure does. Clarkholtz is looking more and more appealing by the day. Although, my vote for them could be a real issue as everyone I vote for loses.

This must have been at the Indivisible DuPage funfair in Wheaton on Sunday. I almost went as I read that Casten might be showing up. Shame I missed out, might have be fun. Meantime, Casten's supporters screamed about wanting Townhall meetings from Roskam. Now that Mr. Climate Change is in, nothing is different. Not one Townhall in this area so far. And, his staff is ridiculously unresponsive. Thank the lord that terms are only 2 years. He needs to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    Not one Townhall in this area so far.
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet . . .

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...nment-shutdown

Not that I am in love with Sean, just completely hate mistaken and/or deliberate misrepresentation. At the VFW no less! Image Peter Roskam with a microphone in his hand in front of people who weren't personally selected by him for photo ops!

The last thing that the VFW gathering was is a townhall. I was there. He had his message that he wanted to convey. He didn't want to take questions on other issues. A few did penetrate that perimeter and successfully get comments-questions out, but it wasn't an open townhall at all. And, his staff has been professionally non responsive. We have not gone forward since November. The only positive is that Casten hasn't become a media event like some of his freshmen colleagues.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    Not one Townhall in this area so far.
    Depends on the definition of area. It's a big district, public meeting in Wheaton in January, Crystal Lake in February.

Reps. Casten, Underwood field questions during McHenry County town hall (link)

How did Sean Casten, a guy that appears to have only worked for his dad - and lists his directorship position on his fathers foundation as an "accomplishment" on his own campaign resume even qualify for consideration?

Q2, how did he and his father, a vulture investor known for buying distressed or bankrupt power plants and laying off thousands get the moniker "Environmentalist"?

As to his campaigning for the teacher's union slate in our local D41 election, it seems natural enough. It was the teacher's union that had the lion's share of the ground troops and significant millions of dollars statewide putting all of these other Dem's in office. A number of whom were notable union faction D41/D87 school board members themselves.

I almost want the union slate to win, just to see how big a check the union writes to itself in the coming contract increase.

(As an aside, It also appears that it's possible that in this century the school board's union faction has sent more people on to higher office than lawyers around here. Chew on the implications of that for awhile...)
    Last edited by jombl; 03-13-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Seriously, you're just going to deny that you sought to harm a candidate's father or promote a conspiracy by the Koch brothers to buy a school board election at College of Dupage?
    I don't find the candidate's dad relevant in a school board election. I will ask again though, do you feel family are appropriate targets for school board elections?
    You're not talking dad, per se. You are speaking of conflicts of interest such as relationship to vendor or staff - or in your more absurd formulations, notoriety of such distinction as to overshadow and define an individual through wide and existing infamy.

When we speak of family I believe we all mostly think of civilians quietly going about their independent private lives. Perhaps like your parents or siblings.
    Baring relevance of power/position in the public interest or gross infamy, are family (as here in Cliche's attack) appropriate targets per se for school board elections?
    Glenly, are you suggesting that attacks on family are legitimate political targets in school board elections?

For those curious as to the relevance of Stephen's piece of instant research that seeks to redirect the discussion away from the big money and professional efforts of the union slate campaign for D41, here's the backstory.

In a previous local school board election a poster here offered to send people a secret message with defaming and derogatory information about a candidates father, a father that was uninvolved in the campaign in any way shape or form, and who was not mentioned by anyone anywhere. I objected, strenuously.

My point above, about the Congressman's father who bankrolled his election effort and was very hands on in the campaign - and for whom the Congressman worked for as an employee in vulture investing during his short career - is that the Congressman's resume was so thin that he also boasted as "accomplishment" his seat on the board of his father's foundation.

I'll let the reader decide if the Congressman's wealthy, powerful and politically active father listed in every facet of the Congressman's resume and professional history is due the same deference as the retired middle class dad of a local school board candidate puttering around his backyard in Elmhurst who was completely removed from any engagement and never mentioned directly by any campaign for the school board.

I stand by my position and direct you to the quote you yourself are holding me to above:

Baring relevance of power/position in the public interest or gross infamy, are family (as here in Cliche's attack) appropriate targets per se for school board elections?
    Casten's dad clearly meets the power/position test, and further was already himself a public figure heavily engaged as a vulture investor in government lobbying of regulators for personal financial gain. Is that fair enough for your union slate campaign, Stephen?
    Last edited by jombl; 03-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Forum Regular
    I could care less about your pontificating, I’ll just let the “readers” judge the hypocrisy

Forum Regular
    Castens endorsement? Can anyone illustrate more than Buttimer boast? Helpful to understand if there was an endorsement or statement before commenting. Reserving judgment until someone can provide info. Thanks

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Castens endorsement? Can anyone illustrate more than Buttimer boast? Helpful to understand if there was an endorsement or statement before commenting. Reserving judgment until someone can provide info. Thanks
    Either Casten stupid enough to endorse them and he’s got some explaining to do.

OR

Buttimer is trying to make it seem he is. She says “support”, tags Casten and their vote bottom three hashtag.

Between this and her now embracing the “slate” by tagging them all (when before the slate was being refuted), I question her honesty.

Forum Regular
    FWIW - the Casten post has been mysteriously removed from Buttimer’s Facebook page.

Apparently she was at the Milton Township Republican Meeting tonight with Ted Estes. #awkward
    Maybe she’s changing her political allegiance?

#doesshethinksheisfoolinganyone