Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tombstones & Epitaphs IV

Huh?

Say it ain’t so.
    Last edited by GE Fan; 04-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Anyone want to buy a cool old shoe store?* Wondering what’s up with this?

*sign not included
    Do you have a link to a listing? I'm expecting a good refund this year and am looking to invest.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Do you have a link to a listing? I'm expecting a good refund this year and am looking to invest.
    I had the displeasure of reviewing a proposed plan for McChesney's last week. What a waste. A Bank and another coffee drive-through? Hard pass....super hard pass on that.

Who is doing the economic development in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    I had the displeasure of reviewing a proposed plan for McChesney's last week. What a waste. A Bank and another coffee drive-through? Hard pass....super hard pass on that.

CANNOT help but think this is a play by Springbank to get the village to buy back the now empty, rotting, falling down Mc&M property. That project is dead. The developer seems to be incapable of doing anything with it. So . . . . why not make a play to waste the property with a drive thru doughnut shop and branch bank rather than a mixed use residential/retail project?

Five Corners, M&M, Gieshe's , GE needs ideas for these properties. Charming ideas. We know what folks don't want, but I see little in the way of ideas for developing these areas. Maybe a yard sign factory?

I am not passing judgment on what was right or wrong from what has occurred in the past (okay maybe a little). What the developers have gone through in Glen Ellyn the last few years is going to scare all of them away. This last Apex plan wasn't the greatest, but it would work, the previous one was pretty awesome, but some parents didn't like it. We had a McChesney plan then we didn't, now we have another that's not so good (per Fan). We had a deal for 5 corners, then that went away...

Glen Ellyn in 20 years:
    red_dead_tumbleweed_3848.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post

Consumers?

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I am not passing judgment on what was right or wrong from what has occurred in the past (okay maybe a little). What the developers have gone through in Glen Ellyn the last few years is going to scare all of them away. This last Apex plan wasn't the greatest, but it would work, the previous one was pretty awesome, but some parents didn't like it. We had a McChesney plan then we didn't, now we have another that's not so good (per Fan). We had a deal for 5 corners, then that went away...

Glen Ellyn in 20 years:
    red_dead_tumbleweed_3848.jpg
    You are exactly right. If I were a developer, I would steer clear of GE, who needs the headaches.

In all seriousness, what do we want out of our downtown? What's the vision of success these days? We seem to be headed toward 100% restaurants. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just wondering if its a desireable thing. As someone who doesn't work in town and isn't part of the stroller set, I never really patronized the non-restaurant stuff that used to be down there anyway because they all closed up by 6PM. So I guess I don't really care that we're going toward a restaurant-only model. But that said......I also don't really give a crap if we have 5 or 25 restaurants downtown. I don't eat dinner out that often. And if getting 25 restaurants means we have to have five-story monstrosities - why do I want that? I mean let's be honest - it isn't like our taxes are going to go down if we get a crap ton of multi story development. So what's in it for me? The Glory of Glen Ellyn?

If I had my druthers, I guess I'd rather see a decent size park/festival space downtown more so than I would want to see 10 more restaurants and the new high-rise dwelling residents to support them.
    Last edited by middlein87; 04-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.

In all seriousness, what do we want out of our downtown? What's the vision of success these days? We seem to be headed toward 100% restaurants. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just wondering if its a desireable thing. As someone who doesn't work in town - I never really patronized the non-restaurant stuff that used to be down there anyway because they all closed up by 6PM. So I guess I don't really care that we're going toward a restaurant-only model. But that said......I also don't really give a crap if we have 5 or 25 restaurants downtown. I don't eat dinner out that often. And if getting 25 restaurants means we have to have five-story monstrosities - why do I want that? I mean let's be honest - it isn't like our taxes are going to go down if we get a crap ton of multi story development. So what's in it for me? The Glory of Glen Ellyn?

If I had my druthers, I guess I'd rather see a decent size park/festival space downtown more so than I would want to see 10 more restaurants and the new high-rise dwelling residents to support them.
    Small downtowns likely have no choice but to go to a near 100% service industry model. As I have said before, the days of the Mom and Pop store and the hobby retailer are gone. So you get nail salons on Main Street. Hair salons on Main Street. Restaurants on Main Street. Banks. Retail has changed so much that only the truly strong will survive that battle. And the truly strong are towns like Naperville.

Restaurants, as we all know, are the single most unreliable investment one can make as an investor or municipality. Saying, "Hey, we have a couple of new restaurants where Soukup's was. We should build a parking garage to accommodate these people." I think that is a bad idea. If the project at Giesche was being done, then yes . . . build it. The current problems we seem to be having go back a few administrations. I think the village needs to a hard look inward and make some changes rather than taking a hard stance against those on the "outside" as being the problem. As a 25 year "homer" who usually sees the village's side of everything, pains me to say that. But we cannot keep going forward like this. Mainly because we are not going forward at all.

I will say this. I have no problem with the village purchasing plots for future development. I would gobble up the Giesche site at the recent $1.7MM purchase price and the Mc&M site at the $2.0MM, level them, grass them over, and shelve them while seeking out truly optimal projects. Don't get me wrong, that Five Corners thing was a debacle . . . again, look inward . . . but that piece is nowhere near as desirable as the other two.

Wheaton has that type of area with Memorial Park. Summer concerts on Thursday nights seem to be well attended there. They also have Taste of Wheaton there and the Beer Festival. It would a a nice spot for the GEBYBBQ, but then with would be the WBYBBQ. The M&M spot would make for a nice park area that could have a band shell and areas for festival events.

I guess my question, Clam, is we should be moving forward to what exactly? If we concede that all our downtown will be is restaurants, beauty salons, and a dentist or five, then what purpose does it serve to also have five-story condos/apartments? Other than to get MORE restaurants, beauty salons and dentists, I'm not seeing the gain. I don't think I'm going out on a limb that none of this will mean less taxes for me - so what is the benefit to current residents?

+1, Yoss. My Magic Wand vision would be to level everything between Main and Park and north of Duane (that three-store strip directly across from the Civic Center has to be the winner of the ugliest downtown buildings contest). You can keep the Metra parking lot but that can get closed off on festival Saturdays. Train noise is the main problem but it's not the end of the world at the BBQ.
    Last edited by middlein87; 04-16-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post

Wheaton has that type of area with Memorial Park. Summer concerts on Thursday nights seem to be well attended there. They also have Taste of Wheaton there and the Beer Festival. It would a a nice spot for the GEBYBBQ, but then with would be the WBYBBQ. The M&M spot would make for a nice park area that could have a band shell and areas for festival events.
    I heartily support the idea of creating park/festival space in downtown GE. It's something pretty much every Chicago suburb has, but GE lacks. It clearly hasn't been a priority for Village leaders, so I'm not optimistic it would be seriously considered for the M&M site.

I guess my question, Clam, is we should be moving forward to what exactly? If we concede that all our downtown will be is restaurants, beauty salons, and a dentist or five, then what purpose does it serve to also have five-story condos/apartments? Other than to get MORE restaurants, beauty salons and dentists, I'm not seeing the gain. I don't think I'm going out on a limb that none of this will mean less taxes for me - so what is the benefit to current residents?

+1, Yoss. My Magic Wand vision would be to level everything between Main and Park and north of Duane (that three-store strip directly across from the Civic Center has to be the winner of the ugliest downtown buildings contest). You can keep the Metra parking lot but that can get closed off on festival Saturdays. Train noise is the main problem but it's not the end of the world at the BBQ.
    Agree about leveling most of what's on the north side of Duane, but 586 Duane is a beautiful building.

Quote Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
    but 586 Duane is a beautiful building.
    Looks like "dear old" Sigma Nu at Illiinois.

I'm guessing it doesn't have the stale beer and bongwater smell, though........