Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tombstones & Epitaphs IV

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I think open space at Giesche and/or McM would be great. BTW the peeling white patina of the McM sign is possibly pushing it ahead of the Giesche sign in value.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Anyone want to buy a cool old shoe store?* Wondering what’s up with this?

*sign not included
    Does anyone want to elaborate on the supposed demise of the Geische project? Where are you getting this information? The last thing I saw published was that this project was approved and moving forward. The village just sent out an announcement on April 11th that the Village Board approved the "Final Plans".

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Solid first post!
    I wonder what scared him away? It must have been me walking by his house yesterday staring angrily and shaking my fist.

It was a good post--especially the part about Glen Ellyn being a great place to live.

I never have great expectations for suburban developer-driven projects. They are very rarely done well. Personally, I think a five story building in that location is a mistake. I think a three-story project would be fine, and four would be pushing it. But I've been part of city permit negotiations on a high-rise project where even limiting the height by one or two stories made the project unprofitable for the developer, so I think that's why multiple proposals for the site have been taller than desired. Margins are low in multi-family housing development.

And I thought the building would be unattractive, but I'm not sure a developer like Apex 400 is capable of much better. Perhaps we could have gotten a simple concession or two on material selection or some small design alterations, but that's all I think we could expect on that front. Realistically, with too many concessions from the Village, the project would have been "value-engineered" to something even less attractive than the original renderings. You take away profit from one place ,and you need to find savings somewhere else.

So I think that if this project is indeed dead, the Village needs to go back to the drawing board to figure out how we can get something more acceptable to the community. It may take more incentives to make a smaller-scale project more attractive to developers. Two strikes... One left?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    As you are aware I'm sure, that is what is currently being shoved down...err...shopped around here in GlenEllynville...taking away parking and expanding the sidewalks for outdoor dining...

https://www.yourmunicipal.com/projec...e-improvements
    The prospect of doing so got absolutely filleted by everyone from 90% of the CBD retailers to people who never go to downtown GE. Trump even Tweeted that it was a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    Does anyone want to elaborate on the supposed demise of the Geische project? Where are you getting this information? The last thing I saw published was that this project was approved and moving forward. The village just sent out an announcement on April 11th that the Village Board approved the "Final Plans".
    I am certain that he author based it on various observations, conversations, as well as educated speculation. He gives it 10-13% chance of coming to fruition.

Forum Demi-god
    The prospect of doing so got absolutely filleted by everyone from 90% of the CBD retailers to people who never go to downtown GE. Trump even Tweeted that it was a bad idea.
    The workshops I've been to, seem to indicate, that this is a cross they are willing to die on (nice reference this week). Read it here first. Up for a wager?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    The workshops I've been to, seem to indicate, that this is a cross they are willing to die on (nice reference this week). Read it here first. Up for a wager?
    Yes. Dinner at fire + wine. Or Gia Mia. Though I hear the ridiculous waits at fire + wine have subsided.

And I am making assumptions that you and I live long enough to witness any substantive face lift to any part of the CBD. Twenty-five years in for me . . . . all chit chat, no movement.

Forum Demi-god
    And I am making assumptions that you and I live long enough to witness any substantive face lift to any part of the CBD. Twenty-five years in for me . . . . all chit chat, no movement.
    I was thinking the same thing. OK, wager accepted. My prediction is that this will happen south of the tracks, not north.

Long Grove is a presently a super-depressing series of empty buildings and storefronts . . . and an old tavern. Sounds like they repaired the bridge, though.
    I was leaning more towards the Long Grove festivals that are in their green spaces downtown. They planned those extra parking spots and open areas to host events within their downtown. Haven't been there in 5 years, so if all their neat stores and restaurants are gone/going, then yes, that is sad news.

Chet Coppock.

I was never a fan of Chet, but he was a pioneer in sports talk radio

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/sport...at-70/5257745/

Sears, Oak Brook Center, following recent lengthy and extensive surgery to prolong its life.