Thread: New food and beverage tax

New food and beverage tax

Will the new food and beverage tax affect your dining plans?

No

No. I recognize that such personal financial sacrifices are needed in order to pay for such treasures like the horse trough that I forgot ever existed.

I'm much more curious as to why we put any tax money at all into private businesses.

The trough is hardly a concern when put against the $45,000.00 we, the real estate taxpayers, gifted to "Two Hound Red" or the $100,000.00+ we have contracted to give them, again as a gift.

What possible argument is there for subsiding bars? Public monuments I understand, but millions of dollars over these last few years for grease traps, new doors and windows?

especially when you give money to businesses. Some of them (i.e. Fresh Market) are on shaky ground except for the give backs. The village should eliminate the incentives, then only companies on their own sound footing would have a better chance of survival.....

I don't have a huge problem offering tax incentives to places like Pete's or Fresh Market. Fresh Market simply didn't do its homework, IMO. Opened a store that was, for the most part, more expensive than Whole Foods in an area surrounded by apartments that cater to a lower income population. The store was oddly located for most Glen Ellyn and Wheaton shoppers, and no one in the immediate neighborhood could think of stepping foot inside. Tax incentives entice businesses to town, typically only last a few years, then go away. They only benefit the business when the business succeeds. Fresh Market, like the Firehouse Sub shop next to it, seemed doomed from day one. But as a chain, they are strong around the country. I enjoyed it . . . and the absolute lack of people in line ahead of me. As there was no line. Ever.

This "bar" that refuses to open had grand ideas of brewing and selling beer in cans and kegs outside of their premises. Perhaps they still do. On paper, it looked intriguing. But one only needed to spend five minutes in the presence of the original guy in charge, who apparently is no longer involved, to realize that perhaps it wasn't a great idea. Does anyone know who the local is that bought into it?

If I were on the board at the time, I'd have given it an enthusiastic thumbs down. Vote for me next time. That said, the village gets a ****ty, rotting building off its list of ****ty, rotting buildings and, if the business heads south, someone will go in and snatch it up ala Honey to A Toda Madre and Bells & Whistles to Blackberry for nickels on the dollar. A fool who tries to turn non-restaurant space into restaurant space and his money are soon parted.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    I'm much more curious as to why we put any tax money at all into private businesses.
    Yep. Why do the taxpayer's pay for valet parking services Thursday through Saturdays nights for the benefit of a handful of privately-owned restaurants?