Thread: Mail Service

Mail Service

We’ve entered the “maybe it will come, maybe it won’t” phase in GE.

How much of it is actually relevant anyways? Mail could not come for 28 days and not sure it would be noticed by me.

For free, you can sign up for a service that will show you photos of the front of the (first class) envelopes of what you are expecting that day. We signed up a couple weeks ago because we didn't see any mail for five days straight. It was arriving in Glen Ellyn, but the carrier wasn't doing anything. Non-delivery can be more effectively reported when you know you're supposed to get stuff that day. I think this free service is to also put mail carriers on notice that they'd better the heck do their jobs. Apparently, some aren't.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    For free, you can sign up for a service that will show you photos of the front of the (first class) envelopes of what you are expecting that day. We signed up a couple weeks ago because we didn't see any mail for five days straight. It was arriving in Glen Ellyn, but the carrier wasn't doing anything. Non-delivery can be more effectively reported when you know you're supposed to get stuff that day. I think this free service is to also put mail carriers on notice that they'd better the heck do their jobs. Apparently, some aren't.
    Informed Delivery - I signed up for it recently and it's been helpful. Caveat - the USPS help chat pointed out that sometimes the carrier may leave for the day's delivery before the scans have been completed (got me, don't know how they do the timing of each day's scan - I get my email mid-morning most times) and they request you do not report missing mail for about seven days to allow for delivery. There's a dashboard that shows each piece of mail you should have received - you can click on it and report it MIA. Seven days seems kind of extreme to me, but....

That said, there have been a few pieces of mail (from my pension and an insurance carrier) that I should receive every month - and sometimes I've seen neither scan nor mail, so who knows where that mail ended up.

I didn't expect mail during the vortex, and it did seem to take them some time to catch up, but understandable. I get more annoyed that mail is misdelivered on a fairly regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    How much of it is actually relevant anyways? Mail could not come for 28 days and not sure it would be noticed by me.
    Waiting on tax documents. Otherwise, yeah, don't really care.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    +1 for Informed Delivery

In addition to the mail scan you get a list of packages that should be coming. That's more than you might otherwise realize since USPS is doing the last mile for other shippers.

Sounds useful, and I'll sign up for it.

Still, it's incredibly Orwellian to know that the government has a photo of every piece of the nations mail. I can see all kinds of police state ways to use that just based on basic facial and character recognition software that I could buy. I'll bet the NSA has better stuff, and the algorithms to sift out anybody, anything or any mark and measure along any strata. Who needs to dig out mailing lists when you have that, and the correlating data, weights, measures and routes from every other sender and receiver, everywhere.

No doubt the Chinese are also quite competitive in this field.