Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: District 41 School Superintendent Survey

The Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce thing, experts on all things educationy. 

True story, about six years ago I received a call asking either if I would be interested in or would agree to be Glen Ellyn’s Citizen of the Year. My answer was, “Absolutely not.” You couldn’t pay me to sit through one of those award “banquets.” And what the hell had I even done? Appointed, not elected, to the board and having become a part owner of a soon to be off the rails chat site? They must have a tough time on an annual basis coming up with recipients. Having my name in the mix makes that seem true in my mind.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    Confronted with the stream of logic in the above posts, I can only conclude that this was another Clarkhholz snubbing of the community they serve. They are unilaterally making the decision that this survey, in it's flawed state, with an easy fix available, is what they are going with and their isn't a darn thing anyone can say about it. Makes me believe that there will be zero criteria from which to differentiate candidates based on community ideals and desires. I guess the time line means more to Clarkhholz then does the right person for this District. Shameful.
    Didn't the search firm create the survey? How is the community being snubbed? It's an open survey for everyone to take. Which you also will complain about...people could take it thousands of times. Don't worry, everyone's too busy trolling social media to do that.

You and Stephen should just say you're mad the board didn't renew Dr. G, you don't like Clark and Buchholz so you are going to piss and moan the entire way through the search process.

I think any superintendent looking at our district is not only looking at the board, but at the community's behavior. The decision has been made, so must we continue to complain about everything? And try to smear the search firm in the process? I know it's very, very difficult for people to pick only 3 choices on what they would love in a super, but I think we can all do it. Remember when we took those IOWA tests as kids and had to fill in the bubbles with a super sharp no.2 pencil? As a 10 year old I was capable of only coloring in one circle so grown adults can figure out how to check only three boxes.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    The Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce thing, experts on all things educationy. 

True story, about six years ago I received a call asking either if I would be interested in or would agree to be Glen Ellyn’s Citizen of the Year. My answer was, “Absolutely not.” You couldn’t pay me to sit through one of those award “banquets.” And what the hell had I even done? Appointed, not elected, to the board and having become a part owner of a soon to be off the rails chat site? They must have a tough time on an annual basis coming up with recipients. Having my name in the mix makes that seem true in my mind.
    Now you just made Middle feel really bad that he wasn't nominated.

As far as Dr. G. Doesn't surprise me as I'm sure it was a concerted effort. It's disappointing that some community members continue on with the political stunt for him when there are so many deserving people who actually TEACH kids in D41.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Gordon is obviously destined for great things after D41. It will be interesting to see his growth in his next role.

I wonder if he will next go to a large city as Superintendent or choose prestigious like an Atherton, Grosse Pointe or Scarsdale. Perhaps private? Choate or Phillips Exeter?
    ...or Downer's Grove District 58...

District 41 School Superintendent Survey

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    This is the most responsive school board president in D41 history, and you're upset because a troll who openly campaigns for the political opposition was "muted"?
    I have been commenting since the survey opened that it was flawed. I emailed the entire board immediately. At the board meeting, concerns were raised - promises were made - but nothing changed. I continued to check the survey, and to post concerns every few days; "The most responsive school board president in D41 history" - who happens to be the sole contact between the Board and BWP - did not respond. Here is the trollish, insulting post that got me muted:

_______

FYI - D41 Survey still broken; you can check as many boxes as you like, and submit as often as you like...

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/hbA...bA3LEwOKPs</a>

_______

Once again, Jombl, you are pulling your negative comments out of...a deeper place.
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 02-14-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post
    deserving people who actually TEACH kids in D41.
    They are the ones that nominated him. It's disappointing that you don't just acknowledge that you have your head so far in Clarkhholz'z......."Deeper place" that you need to disparage an award given to a man that has "Taught" this community how to behave more like a gentleman than either you or I. But, if you subscribe to the Clarkhholz dogma of straight rows of chairs and the three R's, then you wouldn't see that.

Seems that The ClarkHoltz group has more of a problem with the ability of a group to game the Educator of the Year award than the “Community Survey”. Seems that priorities are a bit skewed and a whole lot disengenious.

Stephen is absolutely right on point with his posts on this topic. The responses and excuses don’t make any logical sense...and I barely even care.
    Last edited by GE Fan; 02-14-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Forum Regular
    It's an open survey for everyone to take. Which you also will complain about...people could take it thousands of times. Don't worry, everyone's too busy trolling social media to do that.

You and Stephen should just say you're mad the board didn't renew Dr. G, you don't like Clark and Buchholz so you are going to piss and moan the entire way through the search process.

I think any superintendent looking at our district is not only looking at the board, but at the community's behavior. The decision has been made, so must we continue to complain about everything? And try to smear the search firm in the process? I know it's very, very difficult for people to pick only 3 choices on what they would love in a super, but I think we can all do it. Remember when we took those IOWA tests as kids and had to fill in the bubbles with a super sharp no.2 pencil? As a 10 year old I was capable of only coloring in one circle so grown adults can figure out how to check only three boxes.
    Yet a third defense of the flawed survey, first Clark, then Rath and then Innovator. Interesting trio. You can minimize the arguments and disparage the personalities if you want or you could address the concerns. I'm not questioning the ability of an adult to follow instruction, fill in a circle with a super sharp no.2 pencil or count to three. I am questioning the validity of a survey based on a flawed process.

Pissing and moaning? Really? Where. I never stated any ill will towards the Board, never said I was mad, and made no comments pro or con regarding Ms. Clark or Mr. Buchholz, so stop it already. Pissing and moaning?

Homeowner puts out 100 candy bars for Halloween on their front step with a note, "Please take one." Homeowner comes home and finds the bowl empty. Can the homeowner deduce that it was a busy Trick-or-treat evening, or, that some kid took the entire bowl full of candy? Neither, because there was not a system in place to validate the distribution. The system was flawed.

I'm fine to discuss this if we stay to the facts. The fact is the survey process is a joke, the search firm provided a flawed tool which will yield flawed results.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    FYI - D41 Survey still broken; you can check as many boxes as you like, and submit as often as you like...
    "It's not a problem or mistake. It's a choice in how the survey functions."

Is your choice that it functions? Me too.
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-14-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Forum Regular
    Throwback Thursday.

Reading up on events before my time here last night, I stumbled on this thread, where it foreshadows the survey topic....interesting read to see how certain people felt about surveys then, versus now.

http://glenellynforum.com/showthread...ere-s-the-Beef

Forum Regular
    I know it's very, very difficult for people to pick only 3 choices on what they would love in a super, but I think we can all do it. Remember when we took those IOWA tests as kids and had to fill in the bubbles with a super sharp no.2 pencil? As a 10 year old I was capable of only coloring in one circle so grown adults can figure out how to check only three boxes.
    Feel a bit like Columbo this morning, just one more question...

If Ms. Clark has stated the survey is "not a problem or mistake" in how it functions, and your position (feel free to correct me) is that adults can be trusted to fill it out once and check the appropriate number of boxes, then why would Mr. Rath feel the need to mute Mr. Schumacher from discussing?

Kaffee: Colonel, I have just one more question before I call Airman O'Malley and Airman Rodriguez. If you gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would Santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?
    Jessep: Santiago was a substandard Marine. He was being transferred because--
    Kaffee: That is not what you said, you said he was being transferred because he was in grave danger.
    Jessep: That's correct.
    Kaffee: You said he was in danger, I said "grave danger?" You said "is there another kind?"--
    Jessep: I recall what I said--
    Kaffee: I can have the court reporter read back to you--
    Jessep: I know what I said! I don't have to have it read back to me like I'm--!
    Kaffee: Then why the two orders? Colonel?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Homeowner comes home and finds the bowl empty. Can the homeowner deduce that it was a busy Trick-or-treat evening, or, that some kid took the entire bowl full of candy? Neither, because there was not a system in place to validate the distribution. The system was flawed.
    Speaking as an Admin, if the homeowner tracked the address of all kids who came to the door, he could probably tell if some kid took multiple pieces. You'd be surprised (or not) at how many kids from the same address take multiple pieces of candy at the GEForum. But they do have to go through the trouble of changing their masks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Speaking as an Admin, if the homeowner tracked the address of all kids who came to the door, he could probably tell if some kid took multiple pieces. You'd be surprised (or not) at how many kids from the same address take multiple pieces of candy at the GEForum. But they do have to go through the trouble of changing their masks.
    As for a serious response to this, yes, the fact that multiple identities represent one person is a known factor and is accounted for in judging the opinions here. Maybe the survey results should contain a disclaimer that the results are based on an unknown amount of respondents (Call the survey results "With a Grain of Salt," a nice touch would be to include a little packet of salt with each).
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-14-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    As for a serious response to this, yes, the fact that multiple identities represent one person is a known factor and is accounted for in judging the opinions here. Maybe the survey results should contain a disclaimer that the results are based on an unknown amount of respondents (Call the survey results "With a Grain of Salt," a nice touch would be to include a little packet of salt with each).

#MicDrop

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    would agree to be Glen Ellyn’s Citizen of the Year.
    Doc2.jpg

Why wouldn't you want to be included in the pantheon of GE elite? Previous recipients that did not feel as you do: Alex Demos, Stuart Stone, Tom Voltaggio, John Demling, Dean Olsen, to name a few. I really hope you are not belittling the Award, or the 55 year tradition of giving them out, started by the Jaycees and taken over by the Chamber.

You are welcome to attend the Gala as my guest on the 26th, but it is cash bar and you are on your own for that. (I am good for the first one, but I know your expensive tastes )