Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: District 41 School Superintendent Survey

District 41 School Superintendent Survey

If anyone has been following the search process for Dr. Gordon’s replacement, then they know about the “Community Survey.” Almost immediately after the link was published, it was discovered that an individual could take the survey numerous times, and could also check every answer box for a question, even if the question only asked to select three.

I, among others, emailed the Board with concerns; a few Board members said they would try to get these problems addressed. On Sunday night, I again tried the survey - Nothing had changed; you could still submit as many completed surveys as you like, with as many answer boxes checked as you like. I posted a video on a number of Facebook groups pointing out that the problems continued, and thus the survey could be manipulated or rendered useless. ONE group page decided to delete that post and block me from posting: the “District 41 Parents” group -Started by Bruce Currie and managed by Kevin Rath. My post was utterly factual; why delete it?

As of 1:30 today, you could still respond as many times as you wanted.

One explanation for the “glitches” was that this is BWP - the search firm’s - standard questionnaire. Content-wise, this is true. BWP is conducting the Superintendent search for both D41 and for Downers Grove D58, so I went to their website to confirm. I took BWP’s District 58 Survey as I had taken ours; filled in every answer and hit submit.

The survey program would not accept my survey.

Instead, it directed me to “only mark the requested number of boxes,” and kicked me back.

As it turns out, the INSTRUCTIONS for the survey are even different - see Photos.

Now, I am not asserting absolutely that there is anything fraudulent going on, but it does tend to make the survey look undependable, and the Board - at the least - unconcerned about the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 02-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Forum Regular
    You were NOT blocked, you were muted...there is a difference. Should I google that for you?

Wm. - I answered this on your facebook post, so I'll answer it here too.

If you follow the directions on the survey, there are no issues. For example, the survey asks to pick three attributes. If you were taking a paper survey, you would follow the directions and pick three. It’s the same for this survey.

Most of the surveys that we take in our district don't prevent respondents from taking them more than once. So for this survey to function the same way is not broken either. The advantage of this is that the survey is easily accessible by every single community member. They don't need an email or a special code to be able to participate. I would hope that all community members would take the opportunity to take the survey once as asked.

BWP has a proven track record as a successful search firm. They have used this tool over and over again to gather feedback. It's currently being used for Downers Grove D58. This survey is one way that BWP gathers feedback to help create the profile. It is not used or seen by the Board in any way.

To add to this, according to you in a later post, the Downers survey does have the functionality that you would prefer. My answer to that is the school board has given BWP no direction on how to conduct the survey. I did give them the feedback on limiting the choices. Maybe they were able to fix it in their master survey template they use, but couldn’t in ours because it had launched? The Downers survey just launched yesterday. Regardless, as I’ve said, the directions very specifically say to pick three. The simple solution is for everyone to follow the directions.
    Last edited by Stephanie Clark; 02-12-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    ...block me from posting

Kevin, I stand corrected. You did not “block me from posting;” you “turned off my ability to post or comment...”

District 41 School Superintendent Survey

Stephanie - A number of us emailed our concerns to the Board shortly after the survey was released, the problems were discussed at the Board Meeting, and I posted on Facebook groups when nothing changed. As the single contact point between D41 and BWP, didn’t you raise the issue with them at all? (That’s what your conjecture above seems to suggest).

As for the honor system in these kind of things, I for one can think of a couple of individuals on this Forum who might be spending their off-hours repeatedly checking only the “Financial Skills” button and submitting repeatedly...

Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 02-13-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Kevin, I stand corrected. You did not “block me from posting;” you “turned off my ability to post or comment...”
    What are you crying about? I got bounced, totally, without notice, email, nothing, over 1 1/2 years ago. To this day, not a response as to what I did that was wrong. You'll be back on in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    I got bounced, totally, without notice, email, nothing, over 1 1/2 years ago. To this day, not a response as to what I did that was wrong.
    Thank You, Ack - for putting it all into perspective.

how BWP is doing it in another district.
    https://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2019/...box=1550007981

Seeing as this is a thread regarding education, I'd like to take a minute to remind all that in its function as an reflexive pronoun, "myself" only works if it is the object of a sentence whose subject is "I." An example, "I consider myself to be the most vital poster on this often-combative site." The word can also be used to add emphasis as an intensive pronoun, "I myself have heard others agree." Thank you for reading. I appreciate your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Seeing as this is a thread regarding education, I'd like to take a minute to remind all that in its function as an reflexive pronoun, "myself" only works if it is the object of a sentence whose subject is "I." An example, "I consider myself to be the most vital poster on this often-combative site." The word can also be used to add emphasis as an intensive pronoun, "I myself have heard others agree." Thank you for reading. I appreciate your time.
    (...Silently corrects grammatical error; hangs head in shame...)

(...Silently corrects grammatical error; hangs head in shame...)

But you only corrected one.

Actually, I was using “myself” for the sound - as in poetical usage, where the grammar is a little looser.

“Myself when young did eagerly frequent

Doctor and Saint, and heard great argument

About it and about: but evermore

Came out by the same door where in I went.”

Omar Khayyám - English translation by Edward Fitzgerald.

That’s my feeble story, and I’m stickin’ to it...

Just got my District 41 District Digest.

Congrats to our Educator of the Year...

DISTRICT 41 EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
    The Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce District 41 Educator of the Year is Superintendent Dr. Paul Gordon. Dr. Gordon received 35 community nominations and was further vetted by the District 41 awards committee. Dr. Gordon will be honored at the 55th Annual Community Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, February 26.

Dr. Paul Gordon has been the Superintendent of District 41 since 2013. Prior to being Superintendent, Dr. Gordon served as Chief Academic Officer to over 42,000 students—charged with overseeing curriculum and instruction, innovation, grants, professional development, student services, and strategic planning in the Adams 12 Five Star School District in Colorado.

Congratulations to Dr. Gordon!

You really can't make this stuff up. Hilarious.

BWP has been using this survey for some time, and they are highly successful in placing superintendents. It's an inexpensive tool that they use to gather initial data to help create the candidate profile. We are the first district ever that has had questions about the survey and it's functionality. Last week I passed along the feedback of limiting the choices when the survey says "pick 3". BWP was able to incorporate this feedback into their survey moving forward, but could not for our survey since it already launched. D58 launched the survey after we made this suggestion. I made this speculation yesterday and confirmed it today in a conversation with BWP.

The survey gathers the feedback and there are no issues with that. The directions tell respondents what to do. BWP hasn't seen an issue in the past with respondents not following the directions and doesn't see one for us either.

Also, BWP will give us the data from the survey that we can share with the community.
    Last edited by Stephanie Clark; 02-13-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added clarifier