Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: D41 Elections and Candidates Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Solak View Post
    As usual, Jombl, you've brought the Howitzer with you.

But - re: the quoted text above - has GEAA decided who they're going to endorse yet?
    There can be few things in today's climate quite so loathsome as painting someone falsely as a racist for political gain. Especially in a local school board election.

I think we should all categorically reject even casual indifference to the tactic. It's just as wrong, evil and itself as racially divisive as real bigotry. Ginning up false hate is just as dangerous as real hate in its provocative power to motivate action.

As to your Q regarding daylight between the Bruno's and the GEAA? Yes, I guess technically the GEAA has yet to publicly show their hand. Oddly then (and no doubt purely coincidentally) given the contrast between the two in your perspective as addressed above, it appears that there might be a higher standard of proof required for connecting Bruno's candidates to the GEAA than to connect the reform candidates to racism....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Solak View Post
    Any disparaging of The Glancer will mean pistols at dawn with Yossarian. He's a big fan of Lindy
    She has the most beautiful left profile photographs.

Forum Regular
    I have another question about process today. If the PTA Council and soon to be elected officials to that Board and other organizations don't rate a Focus group of their own, why do Board members?

Aren't they just community members like the rest of us? Why do they get preferential treatment and I don't? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    If the PTA Council and soon to be elected officials to that Board and other organizations don't rate a Focus group of their own, why do Board members?

Why do they get preferential treatment and I don't? I don't get it.
    Well, it would help to know which group you are in. Are you "soon to be elected" or "PTA Council".

Each should be considered differently.

I have another question about process today. If the PTA Council and soon to be elected officials to that Board and other organizations don't rate a Focus group of their own, why do Board members?

Aren't they just community members like the rest of us? Why do they get preferential treatment and I don't? I don't get it.
    The PTA Council should rate the same as any other community member. Scratch that. After the shenanigans of the referendum and Ms. Herbold's involvement, the council should be lucky to be included in a community group.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Well, it would help to know which group you are in.
    It's a hypothetical Jombl. Why does a community Board member rate higher than say PTA Council when it comes to gaining a Focus group of their own?
    Considering the Clarkhholz mantra (And now it seems Ackerman as well - good to know they are associated with his shenanigans) of "No member of the Community is more deserving than another".

You are very quickly losing credibility with me with comments like this (especially since it so quickly followed the nonsense about MLK Day). Pointing out important issues/positions is great. The proverbial "throw everything at the wall to see what sticks" turns your all thoughts into noise with no impact.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    You are very quickly losing credibility with me with comments like this (especially since it so quickly followed the nonsense about MLK Day). Pointing out important issues/positions is great. The proverbial "throw everything at the wall to see what sticks" turns your all thoughts into noise with no impact.
    Sorry to offend you Mama....not my intent at all. I am not after credibility except from my elected officials. If you would like to offer up an answer to my question, you are welcome to. This is an important issue (Even if you don't agree). My elected official has made it abundantly clear that no one person or group is more important than any other.
    They are obviously not holding themselves to this same standard. That can only mean that they are purposefully excluding a group that is not "friendly" to them as a political power grab. Again, why, with all the talk of anti-union stance, are the Union reps having their own Focus Group? Are they a more important stakeholder in this process than the PTA Council? Don't Board members have the ability to convey their profile thoughts during a community focus group? Is there something special they need to convey that must be kept from the public? Easy enough to answer these questions as they are the ones that made the statement. Stephanie Clark has been kind enough to come here and set the record straight on issues, why not this?

I have taken the hit for the MLK statement. Although it garnered a response to a question that probably would have gone unanswered otherwise, the ends most certainly do not justify the means. I deleted the post and thanked them for setting the record straight. This does not diminish the multitude of questionable actions by Clarkhholz that need to be addressed.

Forum Regular
    You don’t have to be a rocket scientist - or have a high SAT score - to answer your original question...while the Council may WORK with the super on occasion, the board is HIRING that person. The relationships and reporting structures are different.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    You don’t have to be a rocket scientist - or have a high SAT score - to answer your original question...while the Council may WORK with the super on occasion, the board is HIRING that person. The relationships and reporting structures are different.
    You are quite right Kevin Rath. The Board is hiring this Super. They will be interviewing and narrowing the pool once the focus groups have helped to create a profile. So I ask again, why do the Board members have any more right to participate in the focus group process, with a personal Focus group, then any other Community member? They have made the statement. I would just like to know, if they really mean what they say, how can they put themselves above all other community member? Why do you need to add insults to your comments? They don't add value to the conversation.

Forum Regular
    Well...like Mama said, you really do appear to throw things out there sometimes and hope that it sticks. We’re just calling you out on it. You said yourself the other day that you post speculation. Looking at it this way...you’re the salmon swimming upstream and we’re the bear that just caught you for dinner. Don’t be THAT salmon, you’re better than that.

BWP is narrowing it down to semi finalists for the board and providing questions for the board to ask (what they told us at tonight’s focus group). So these current and soon to be retired superintendents have to work closely with the board throughout the whole process. We were also told that they stick around after the hire to make sure the successful candidate has a good transition to the job. It goes back to relationships and reporting structure. No other group than the board can do that.

You are quite right Kevin Rath. The Board is hiring this Super. They will be interviewing and narrowing the pool once the focus groups have helped to create a profile. So I ask again, why do the Board members have any more right to participate in the focus group process, with a personal Focus group, then any other Community member? They have made the statement. I would just like to know, if they really mean what they say, how can they put themselves above all other community member?
    GE Love - I'm happy to come out here and answer questions, but I wonder if your intent is to really look for answers, as demonstrated with your MLK post. BTW - That post still exists since I quoted it when I responded so even though you deleted it, it's captured for everyone to see what we're all talking about. However, I think there is a distinction between community members and the other focus groups, so I'll go ahead and respond to this one.

When it comes to hiring a superintendent, there are groups that we are looking to get feedback from - the admin, the building leadership, the union leadership (whether or not I agree with their involvement in the election is irrelevant), the staff, the community and the board. A board member is not the same as a community member when it comes to hiring the superintendent, since the board is the one making that decision.

I just don't feel that the PTA leadership is any more important than any other community member. All community members are important and deserve a voice at the table. A PTA leadership position isn't voted on by the entire community or even by all PTA members. While I'm a community member, I am on the board so I fall into a different bucket. If a member of our admin team or a staff member lived in Glen Ellyn, would we tell them that they couldn't participate with their dedicated focus group and they can only attend the community one? That's essentially what you are saying about the board.

I have taken the hit for the MLK statement. Although it garnered a response to a question that probably would have gone unanswered otherwise, the ends most certainly do not justify the means. I deleted the post and thanked them for setting the record straight. This does not diminish the multitude of questionable actions by Clarkhholz that need to be addressed.
    So you wanted to know why the Board meeting was on the day that it was. Why would that question go unanswered?

Also, I'm happy to address the questionable actions if you would like to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Clark View Post
    So you wanted to know why the Board meeting was on the day that it was. Why would that question go unanswered?
    Nature abhors a vacuum. You are a member of several social media groups in which there was speculation about the odd meeting date and time. When you know the facts, and see such speculation, feel free to respond and share your information. It’s human nature to read meaning into silence; Ultimately (as with the questions over the survey validity, which took nearly 10 days and an escalation of commenting to elicit a response), the best course is to address such questions when they first crop up (colloquially known as “nipping it in the bud...”), to stop them from growing out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    Nature abhors a vacuum. You are a member of several social media groups in which there was speculation about the odd meeting date and time. When you know the facts, and see such speculation, feel free to respond and share your information. It’s human nature to read meaning into silence; Ultimately (as with the questions over the survey validity, which took nearly 10 days and an escalation of commenting to elicit a response), the best course is to address such questions when they first crop up (colloquially known as “nipping it in the bud...”), to stop them from growing out of control.
    B.S.

You actively engaged in pushing the Bruno candidates political effort to cast your political opponents as racists.

If you truly believed your own lie, you would have cast the teachers union as the racists when confronted with the fact that it was their choice.

Why does the racist attack suddenly stop when the union becomes the power making the decision?

You'll need to address that question first if your are to weasel out of responsibility for your personal role in this despicable episode.