Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D41 Elections and Candidates Part Deux

It’s becoming more and more apparent that nobody has their “own” voice in this election. Seems to be a lot of “collective” voices.
    Last edited by GE Fan; 02-12-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    It’s becoming more and more apparent that nobody has their “own” voice in this election. Seems to be a lot of “collective” voices.
    I disagree. Kind of like your comment about Buchholz attire. Anyone that either attends or listens to most meetings, with an open ear, would realize, easily, that both Kurt and Stephanie have individual voices. While they agree a lot, they don't always. And, it is very apparent that both put a ton of thought into each meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Won't be the first time nor the last time a member of a PTA has also ran for a school board position.

Not showing up to a candidate forum denies you the opportunity to present yourself to an audience who may only see you once. Wouldn't it behoove any candidate to present their own voice at any and all opportunities?
    You're right about the PTA and running for school board. I was actually on PTA Council during the 2015 election when I first ran. So were Erica Nelson, Lori Taylor and Kristin Massey Kramer. The PTA Council didn't host a candidate forum for that election (nor the one in 2017).

Back in 2015, the PTA leaders tried to appear impartial. However, in this election the leaders of the PTA are actively campaigning for (and against) candidates. So I am questioning the impartiality of their candidate forum given their open views of the candidates. Kurt and I feel like we are damned if we do, damned if we don't at this point since we are the people they are campaigning against.

On the plus side, the League of Women Voters videotapes their similar forum so all interested community members can access that to learn more about all candidates.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    both put a ton of thought into each meeting.
    I would agree with this statement at face value only. Clarkhholz also puts a ton of thought before each meeting on coming to a foregone conclusion of how each issue will be handled and voted on. When the vote on the amended proposal to renew Dr Gordon's contract was polled, Ms. D'ambrosio voted YES. Ms. Clark quickly looked down the table in horror and asked her if she was confused and wanted a retake on her vote. After a few minutes of mumbling, she voted in lock step with Clarkhholz.

There very well may be "discussion" on an issue, but Clarkhholz is not listening. As much as you admire Ms. D'Ambrosio and Mr Curry, I would be interested to see how they respond once their mouthpieces, Clarkhholz, are gone.

Credit deserves to be given when credit is due. Clarkholtz clearly has an agenda and is executing upon that agenda. Whether or not that agenda fits within the perceived mandate and/or desires of the community is unclear at this time.

We will find out soon enough.

For those interested, Kurt Buchholz and I launched our campaign:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClarkBuchholzD41

Press Release:
    Two District 41 Board of Education Members Announce Run for Re-Election

GLEN ELLYN, Ill. February 18, 2019 – Current School Board President, Stephanie Clark, and School Board Vice President, Kurt Buchholz, are running for re-election to the District 41 (D41) Board of Education (BOE). They are running together as a slate to build on their successes of improving the district’s quality education, making the district more fiscally transparent and holding the line on taxes.
    For the past two years, they have successfully leveraged their strong background and knowledge of D41 schools, as well as business and technology experience to bring more accountability, fiscal responsibility and transparency to the Board.
    They have improved facilities by eliminating the last of the portable classrooms in the district, ensuring all school buildings have the latest security measures and updating our buildings to have the appropriate ADA accommodations. They drove initiatives to improve a previously failing Special Education program and they also negotiated a responsible compromise for a bond issue that resulted in $18 million returned to the taxpayers.

Stephanie Clark is currently the D41 BOE President. Her involvement in the community and school district has included being co-chair for the D41 Special Education Parents’ Support Group and being an active PTA member three of the five D41 schools. She has a B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Purdue University, previously working for General Motors. Her children currently attend Benjamin Franklin Elementary, Abraham Lincoln Elementary, and Glenbard West High School.

“I believe there is still more good work that we can do on behalf of the stakeholders of District 41,” said Stephanie Clark, Board of Education candidate. “Space has always been an issue in the District. The Board worked together to pass a referendum to finally eliminate portables in our district and make other improvements in our facilities. Mr. Buchholz and I listened to the community, we urged the Board to ask for a reasonable dollar amount that would allow for targeted and identified improvements to the schools. As incumbents, Mr. Buchholz and I have the experience and successful history with the district that will be valuable moving forward to address space issues.”

Kurt Buchholz is currently serving as the Board’s Vice President. He grew up in Glen Ellyn and is an agency owner for Allstate Insurance. He has three children, one attending Hadley Junior High and the other two who graduated from D41 schools. He graduated with a B.A. degree in Marketing from North Central College. He has served on many civic boards in Glen Ellyn including Commissioner for the Glen Ellyn Park Board, President of the Rotary Club, President of the Rotary Foundation and President of Faith Lutheran Church. He is the Co-Founder of Glen Ellyn Children's Community Resource Center.

“Managing the budget over the long term is vital to the fiscal health of the district,” said Kurt Buchholz, Board of Education candidate. “Today, our budget is clearer and easier for the taxpayer to read. We have been able to control expenses and align revenue growth moving forward by zeroing the tax levy two years ago and asking for .25% of the total maximum levy this year. All this work has been done while keeping our current programming in place.”

Clark and Buchholz will attend Meet and Greets throughout February and March in Glen Ellyn. They are inviting the public to attend a Meet and Greets at the Glen Ellyn Public Library on Thursday, March 7, from 10:00-11:30am and on Monday, March 11, from 6:30-8:00pm in the South Meeting Room. Early voting begins on March 18 at the Glen Ellyn Public Library and Election Day is April 2, 2019. For more information about the candidates, please visit www.clarkbuchholzd41.com.

Guess that answers that question.

SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    Wondering why Clarkhholz chose to move the SB meeting to tonight, when they did not feel it necessary in much more dangerous weather on MLK day?

Do they not find the contributions of Dr. King as relevant to our country as Presidents (Some of whom were slave holders)? I would like to hear Clarkhholz's views on equality.
    Was this a purposeful slight in keeping with the tea party values?
    A little early for that 1/2 gallon of MD 20-20, don't cha think?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    A little early for that 1/2 gallon of MD 20-20, don't cha think?
    We all know where you stand by virtue of your public participation quotes. You are not a member of the Board. As such, you have no ability to answer the question.
    I would like to hear Clarkhholz's rationale for moving the meeting.

Forum Regular
    Wondering why Clarkhholz chose to move the SB meeting to tonight, when they did not feel it necessary in much more dangerous weather on MLK day?

Do they not find the contributions of Dr. King as relevant to our country as Presidents (Some of whom were slave holders)? I would like to hear Clarkhholz's views on equality.
    Check your calendar again...MLK day was January 21. The “dangerous weather” day you’re referring to was January 29. In any case, tonight is a regular meeting. Nice try though.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    If this ISN’T the case, then I’ll go with your excuse, Love...
    This is what I was thinking, but I guess I would like to hear it from the horse's mouth. The President (Or maybe in this case Clarkhholz because they do everything in lock step) sets the Agenda, so there must be a reason that the meeting was moved.

Their website is set up to receive donations in multiples of $5. It has a note, "Please limit maximum donation to $150." However, there is not a max of 30 on the multiples that keeps me from going over $150. Maybe the same folks who set up the superintendent survey also made their campaign website??

Kurt isn't able to login to his account, so he asked me to post this.

Last winter, the calendar committee (Kurt is the board rep) created the schedule for the 2018-19 school year. The teachers had to chose one holiday to work to make up a day for the lost day due to the construction schedule late start. The choice was MLK day or President's Day. They chose to have the school district be open for business on MLK day due to the proximity of winter break. Note: the 2019-20 calendar will be similar.

The Board sets our calendar based on the school calendar. We meet the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month. If school is closed on Monday, the meeting is moved to Tuesday (like today). However, the district was OPEN on MLK day for the reason above and that's why a board meeting was scheduled for that day.

The school board meeting calendar for this year was published and approved on May 7, 2018: https://v3.boardbook.org/Viewer/item...px?ik=42423027
    Last edited by Stephanie Clark; 02-19-2019 at 10:49 AM.

On examining the website, it looks like all they did was retool the old ClarkBuchholzRath site (airbrushing out Kevin in the photo like a Stalin-era Photoshopper!)

As the majority of the site LITERALLY seems a cut-and-paste version of the 2015 Site, so we can see what positions, priorities and motivations remain, and - even more interesting - those that have been discarded. Links here:

2015 - https://web.archive.org/web/20150814...y-initiatives/

2019 - https://clarkbuchholzd41.com/key-initiatives/

In the 2015 "Key Initiatives," items DELETED from the 2019 "Key Initiatives" will be marked in BOLD.

In the 2019 "Key Initiatives," items ADDED will be marked by ITALICS.

______

Clark and Buchholz Key Initiatives 2015 vs. 2019

2015 - We want fidelity and accountability in all decisions and changes that are made.

• We want to be sure that we are making decisions that are in the best interest of the students and teachers while watching the tax dollars we are spending at the same time.
    Hasty decisions are expensive decisions (i.e. Everyday Math at $600k and only used for five to six years, moving forward with Phase 1 facilities plan that did not address full-day kindergarten and left portables at only one elementary school).

2019 - We want fidelity and accountability in all decisions and changes that are made.

• We want to be sure that we are making decisions that are in the best interest of the students and teachers while watching the tax dollars we are spending at the same time.
    Avoid using referendums to pay for capital improvements that can be planned and budgeted for over time.

_____

2015 - If something isn’t going well in our district, we will listen, openly address it, and make changes as necessary.

• Critical thinking and reflection of what is working and what is not working in our district.
    We need to renew trust of the community through transparency and open dialogue. We would like to web stream BOE meetings to provide more community members immediate access to the information. We also would like to engage more with the public and reinstate public participation after discussion items at BOE meetings.
    • We want to be sure we are fully vetting our decisions.

2019 - If something isn’t going well in our district, we will listen, openly address it, and make changes as necessary.

• Critical thinking and reflection of what is working and what is not working in our district.
    • We want to be sure we are fully vetting our decisions.
    While we have made improvements in areas like Special Education, there are still concerns that need to be addressed.

_____

2015 - We will continually evaluate our spending to be sure it is the best use of tax dollars.

• We need a long-term plan to address space issues (including full-day kindergarten) with a plan that is fiscally responsible.
    D41 borrowed $7 million on infrastructure and took out of the budget without public input. This should always be taken to the voters beforehand so the bonds are backed.
    • History/long range study on enrollment (including pre-school census) to accurately and authentically determine if new building is necessary or more additions would suffice for full-day kindergarten to be added to the curriculum.

• We want to ensure money is spent on a curriculum that is educationally sound, not experimental.
    Decisions should be made with the students’ benefit at the heart of all matters.If it isn’t good for kids, why are we doing it?

2019 - We will continually evaluate our spending to be sure it is the best use of tax dollars.

• We need a long-term plan to address space issues with a plan that is fiscally responsible.
    • We want to ensure money is spent on a curriculum that is educationally sound, not experimental.

_____

To recap,

a. Full-Day Kindergarten? Forget it.

b. Renewing trust of the community through transparency and open dialogue? Gone.

c. Public participation reinstated after discussion items at BOE meetings? Not happening.

d. Seeking public input by referendum? As in "This should always be taken to the voters beforehand?" Now it's "Avoid using referendums to pay for capital improvements that can be planned and budgeted for over time." EXCEPT where Full-Day Kindergarten is concerned. On that point, Stephanie has commented on Facebook: "When discussing future facility needs and setting our board work for the year, the Board and the administration determined we are not going to pursue full day kindergarten. Our current schools do not have the infrastructure or classroom space to support FDK...The community would have to support a referendum to provide funds to build the space needed and an ed referendum to add the $800K in staff...If a future board wishes to pursue FDK, they will have to turn to the community for support of such a project."

e. Middlein87 - I guess they don't want to see those enrollment projections anymore.

f. And, finally, "Decisions should be made with the students’ benefit at the heart of all matters.If it isn’t good for kids, why are we doing it?" is gone. Deleted. So, if the students' benefit isn't at the heart of all matters, whose benefit is? I think I have an answer for that; I bet a lot of you here do as well.
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 02-19-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Clark View Post
    Kurt isn't able to login to his account, so he asked me to post this.

Last winter, the calendar committee (Kurt is the board rep) created the schedule for the 2018-19 school year. The teachers had to chose one holiday to work to make up a day for the lost day due to the construction schedule late start. The choice was MLK day or President's Day. They chose to have the school district be open for business on MLK day due to the proximity of winter break. Note: the 2019-20 calendar will be similar.

The Board sets our calendar based on the school calendar. We meet the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month. If school is closed on Monday, the meeting is moved to Tuesday (like today). However, the district was OPEN on MLK day for the reason above and that's why a board meeting was scheduled for that day.

The school board meeting calendar for this year was published and approved on May 7, 2018: https://v3.boardbook.org/Viewer/item...px?ik=42423027
    Stephanie - That makes sense. Thank you for responding. I'll delete my speculative post.