Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: D41 Elections and Candidates Part Deux

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    Yeah...Kevin, about that;
    It is curious that they spent many man hours trying to dodge Clarkhholz® and yet now they embrace it. Will either be able to function without the other once the election is complete? Would we have to stop Board meetings so Stephanie can call Kurt and see what he thinks? Would he even be reachable from the fishing boat?

Yeah...Kevin, about that; I looked at their “Results” page, and I had a couple of questions under the first heading alone.

First, “Successfully negotiated a responsible compromise for a bond issue that resulted in $18 million returned to the tax payers.” Returned? As in rebated? I seemed to have missed mine...

This is almost as bad as when the administration says they, "saved the taxpayers $8 million" yet no one can find their refund.

Second, “Established an annual budget with a five-year forecast to prioritize cost containment, and use resources responsibly.” - This one’s for Bob and Sam and Dan: Why didn’t you guys think of “annual budgets” and “five-year forecasts” (or as I remember them called 7 or 8 years ago, “projections...”)? That would have been helpful for “doing the Finance.”
    this is comical. The district has been doing 5 year forecasts for years. In fact, they almost always show a deficit spend in the 5th year (which has yet to happen). As for budgets, I believe when Bob was on the board they were moving to 2 year budgeting....back in 2010!

(Next time we’ll talk about how the dynamic duo bravely fought the rest of the Board and triumphantly “updated our facilities by eliminating the last of the portables...” ).
    Again, this was started before Clarkholz was even on the board....

D41 Elections and Candidates Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Again, this was started before Clarkholz was even on the board....
    I guess humility is not one of their “successes;” I believe there are FIVE more members on this Board, and unless you are directing three of them, you can’t solely call things “your accomplishments.” Most people would give some credit where credit is due, and say “during our time in office, the BOARD did so-and-so...” Even their self-promotion seems adversarial...

ClarkHolz takes credit for participating in “successes,” but are quick to point the finger elsewhere when results are less than rosy. To the former Board Members here, a question: This year’s 4th grade class at Lincoln has 27 or 28 kids per class, which seems high. Parents are complaining. When asked, the answer is that “Dr. Gordon recommended the increase” - most likely in response to the Board line on remaining staff-neutral. The Board considered and ultimately approved the recommendation.

If the Board’s only subordinate is the Superintendent, and if they vote to approve a recommendation from that subordinate - where does the buck ultimately stop?

According to ClarkHolz, it stops at the Superintendent. Follow the pointing fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The memo detailing the 2018 increase in class size targets can be found at this link here. The minutes from the subsequent meeting show the targets as being passed on a unanimous vote.

Since they take a vote, the buck ultimately stops with the Board. But it is also true that the analysis and recommendation came from the Administration. The recommendation memo doesn't mention a BOE requirement to remain staff-neutral as being the impetus behind the change. It instead refers to BOE directives regarding space constraints:

Strategic Priority 2 of the Long-Range Plan addresses Facilities that Enhance Student Learning. This
    priority calls for an annual process for assessing enrollment, program needs and space utilization.
    In addition, during the Board Legacy workshop meeting in August, the Board directed the
    administration to analyze class size targets as one of the factors that affects program space

D41 Elections and Candidates Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Solak View Post
    The recommendation memo doesn't mention a BOE requirement to remain staff-neutral as being the impetus behind the change. It instead refers to BOE directives regarding space constraints
    Thanks for the legwork, Bob. You have always been a reliable source for information and numerical data, and a responsive former Board Member.

(And Ack, thank you for giving me the opportunity to refer to you as one of “Clark’s Minions.” That gives me great karmic pleasure...)
    Last edited by Wm. Schumacher; 03-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks for the legwork, Bob. You have always been a reliable source for information and numerical data, and a responsive former Board Member.

(And Ack, thank you for giving me the opportunity to refer to you as one of “Clark’s Minions.” That gives me great karmic pleasure...)
    Hate to disappoint, but I'm no more a minion of Stephanie's than I am of any other candidate that I support. She has been great on the board, as has Kurt. You, on the other hand, can support any of those 3 people that shouldn't be on any public board, especially Buttimer. Supporting her doesn't make you a minion, can't say what it does make you. I'll leave it at very low standards that you have to support them.

interesting note in the March 4th personnel report was struck out:

Leave Request: Section 8.10 of the collective bargaining agreement with the teachers union (GEEA) addresses the sabbatical leave process. The Board may grant an paid leave of absence minus difference between the teacher’s annual salary for that year and the amount paid for substitute service. Leave may be granted for approved advance education study, exchange teaching, or travel sponsored by colleges or professional organizations with the purpose of promoting professional growth. The leave shall be conditional upon a plan for resident study, research, travel or other activities proposed by the applicant and deemed by the Board to benefit the school system.

Buchholz, Lisa, Lincoln, First Grade Teacher, Employee is requesting a sabbatical leave of absence to take classes in accordance with the Golden Apple Award.April 1st, 2019- End of the 2018-2019 School Term

*This item is tabled for a future meeting.
    tabled? too close to an election? maybe she is going to go fishing with Kurt??

For someone who is an alleged "admin" to this site, you certainly do like to get in the middle of it, don't you? If it was struck, why is it on here? While I understand that you seem to have a raging boner* for Kurt (not an exclusive club), why in the world would you bring his wife into this? What the **** is wrong with you, son? And posting it twice? You think this **** is free? We have to pay for that extra post!
    Last edited by Clamato; 03-10-2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Changed to "boner" as one "member" felt that "hard on" was "inappropriate."

Just because it was struck, doesn't mean it wasn't a part of the public record. In fact, the board discussed it in a public forum. feel free to watch the video.

His wife has inserted herself into all types of board discussions/controversies. Not the first time this has happened.

Public record or not, it seems the opposite of appropriate.

Just wanting to make certain that we as a group who runs this site (you, me, Bobby, no longer Perplexed), and we have pretty much agreed that it is taking a very wrong direction and we'd all like that to change, has an admin who is taking shots at the wife of an elected official . . . who just so happens to be a ****ing Golden Apple Award recipient.

While I admit to my indiscretions in the past, and perhaps that is what made me soooooo beloved, I swear we agreed we would try to take a road that was just a teeny bit higher. If we can't get you to do that, what hope is there for the rest of the crowd? That's all I am saying. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing.

It's 50 degrees in Denver today. Get up, stretch, put your earbuds in, go for a run or a walk. We'd all be better off if we could get away from the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Public record or not, it seems the opposite of appropriate.

Just wanting to make certain that we as a group who runs this site (you, me, Bobby, no longer Perplexed),
    You miss me, I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    It's 50 degrees in Denver today. Get up, stretch, put your earbuds in, go for a run or a walk. We'd all be better off if we could get away from the keyboard.
    I will do that. This (my 5th) winter here has sucked the worst. Snow every week, overcast skies, reminds me of a typical Illinois winter.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    It is curious that they spent many man hours trying to dodge Clarkhholz® and yet now they embrace it. Will either be able to function without the other once the election is complete? Would we have to stop Board meetings so Stephanie can call Kurt and see what he thinks? Would he even be reachable from the fishing boat?
    Pretty sure someone who has an engineering degree from Purdue can think for herself.

First racism. Now sexism. I thought this was supposed to be classier than Facebook.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolita View Post
    Pretty sure someone who has an engineering degree from Purdue can think for herself.

First racism. Now sexism. I thought this was supposed to be classier than Facebook.
    Not sexism at all. Every issue she refers to "Kurt and I have discussed this.....". What does Stephanie have to say? Or, what does Kurt have to say that is his own?
    If you can't beat the talk of Clarkhholz®, join 'em. Personally, it makes me nervous when two candidates refer to each other as much as they do. Makes me think one cannot function without the other.
    That could be bad come April.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    Not sexism at all. Every issue she refers to "Kurt and I have discussed this.....". What does Stephanie have to say? Or, what does Kurt have to say that is his own?
    If you can't beat the talk of Clarkhholz®, join 'em. Personally, it makes me nervous when two candidates refer to each other as much as they do. Makes me think one cannot function without the other.
    That could be bad come April.
    You sound like you are just flailing. They agree a lot, but not always. I wonder what percent of the time that Nelson and Bruno have acted as one, since Bruno came on the board. I'll bet 99% of the time. But, I guess this escaped your keen eye.