Thread: Public Officials and the Forum; or, Can I Really Be My Own Biological Grandfather...?

Public Officials and the Forum; or, Can I Really Be My Own Biological Grandfather...?

Odd question - As most people here are operating pseudonyms, what keeps multiple public officials from commenting on a thread where, in more transparent circumstances, such participation would violate the open meetings act?

Additionally, (and more in the realm of the navel-gazing rhetorical) if an official posted using more than one pseudonym, do their posts constitute the opinion(s) of one individual, or - as they would be attempting to suggest - more than one individual? In that sense, a Village (or other) Board Member could have multiple pseudonyms, and thus be both violating and not violating the open meetings act?

(JK - but not so much on the first paragraph, and a continued critique of those who have multiple Forum personas...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are nine people who use this thing. Neither are public officials.

EDIT: As far as I am aware. But . . . disclosure . . . I may be wrong. Trusth be told, I though you were referring to Glen Ellyn board people. Then it occurred to me that you may be following your passion with regard to the other thing. I don't follow this stuff nor do I look at who posters are. Mainly because I don't really care. Disclosure two: I do know some from socializing. And I know who the poster Wm. Schumacher is.

From the village of GE:

A “meeting” as subject to the OMA is “any gathering of a majority of a quorum of members of a public body held for the purpose of discussing public business.”
    -This means if a public body has seven members, three would constitute a majority of a quorum of that body (four is quorum; three is a majority of a quorum).
    -The act is not intended to apply to chance meetings/social gatherings as these do not include the discussion of public business. However, if a deliberation of public matters were to begin at a chance meeting/social gathering, this would become a public meeting.
    -This act also applies to telephone conversations,online conversations or chats and email correspondence between members.
    Last edited by DTM; 02-05-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks, DTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk