Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Policy Meeting Jan. 14 on transgender bathrooms

In my experience, kids are very tolerant about these sort of things. Funny that other members think otherwise, but I would guess the majority of teenagers would like their classmates to be able to choose the bathroom they feel is most appropriate.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    In my experience, kids are very tolerant about these sort of things. Funny that other members think otherwise, but I would guess the majority of teenagers would like their classmates to be able to choose the bathroom they feel is most appropriate.
    Couldn't agree with this more. I have 3 teenagers and not one of them would be offended. In fact, they would be offended at anyone thinking they would care about a transgender kid in the bathroom with them. And I am pretty comfortable saying their friends would feel the same way. The kids I happen to know are incredibly open, accepting, and tolerant of gender identity issues. In one of my kids' Homecoming "groups" last year there were at least 3 other kids who openly identified themselves on some type of transgender spectrum. Just typing this, I couldn't be more proud of those kids. It breaks my heart to think of any of those amazing kids reading some of the posts that are on this thread.

Forum Regular
    If you are a male and truly living as a female and you use the woman's bathroom, are most people going to care or notice? It does seem like in the world of being PC, we create a policy for every exception, no matter how small. I question if that's necessary. Here's my question - What if you have male that identifies as a female and they play soccer, tennis, basketball? Which team do they play on? I realize I switched topics, but wondering if this issue is going to come up next.
    Last edited by innovator; 01-19-2019 at 08:52 PM.

It's an issue and the policymakers are wading through the process as well. It's really not the locker rooms that are the issue, but there is a fear of unfair advantage in some sports (genetically male participating as female mostly I would think). IHSA has a policy: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2bc3f...797a80ea43.pdf

There are arguments on both sides, but really - what kind of person is going to go through this kind of upheaval/investigation for high school sports if it wasn't authentic? The answer is no one, I hope.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    It's an issue and the policymakers are wading through the process as well. It's really not the locker rooms that are the issue, but there is a fear of unfair advantage in some sports (genetically male participating as female mostly I would think). IHSA has a policy: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2bc3f...797a80ea43.pdf

There are arguments on both sides, but really - what kind of person is going to go through this kind of upheaval/investigation for high school sports if it wasn't authentic? The answer is no one, I hope.
    The unfair advantage is what I meant too. Thanks for clarifying that. I would agree that I can't imagine any person would put themselves through the upheaval of saying they were transgender just so they could have an advantage on a sports team. There is so much scrutiny they are living through, it would be surprising if it was anything but authentic. It's still an issue regardless because a lot comes into play with athletics from scholarships to state championships, etc.... While that policy says IHSA will consider it, it doesn't outline guidelines for how a determination would be made. I'm sure this will play out in the public eye at some point somewhere across the state.

Its not just bathroom access being discussed. Its locker room access and accommodation to the new gender on overnight class trips

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by nonnative View Post
    Its not just bathroom access being discussed.
    This is good. There are a lot of known scenarios to consider, and probably a few that haven't been encountered yet (i.e. the overnight trip issue was new to me, even though my kids have been on such trips for both athletics and academics).

It will be nearly impossible to draft a blanket solution, but hopefully they can have a process that will enable an individual to approach administrators when a situation arises and get some resolution without a spectacle. As noted above re: sports, "what kind of person is going to go through this kind of upheaval/investigation"? No one would. So for the folks that are living in this manner, let's help them do so with as much privacy and dignity as possible.

BTW - this, from a friend...

“The transgender policy passed last pm [Monday night]. Seth spoke- others from FCCGE too. 10 or so spoke in favor- 2 spoke against.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how this is being communicated to the students and the guidelines around conduct in the locker room?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard students will get more times to change in curtained areas and not be penalized for not changing as fast as before because of their right to have privacy while changing. I also want to know what is being communicated regarding sleeping arrangements on overnight trips as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nonnative View Post
    I heard students will get more times to change in curtained areas and not be penalized for not changing as fast as before because of their right to have privacy while changing. I also want to know what is being communicated regarding sleeping arrangements on overnight trips as well.
    It would be nice if they give the kids a heads up of what they may experience in the locker room.
    My kids are self very self conscious and do not like changing in front of anyone - they would not enjoy a surprise like this.
    Half of the battle towards success of anything new is clear and open communication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This new policy will dove tail into the new state requirements for students to learn LGBQT history:

Pritzker Signs Bill Requiring Illinois Schools Teach LGBT History
    Last edited by DTM; 08-14-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fixed the link

I could see teaching this as part of a sexuality class, helping kids better understand what it is to be gay, but history?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I could see teaching this as part of a sexuality class, helping kids better understand what it is to be gay, but history?
    I didn't get that at all from the article, what I took away from it is Bill Wakefield had many passions, but there were perhaps three that truly defined him.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    This new policy will dove tail into the new state requirements for students to learn LGBQT history:

Pritzker Signs Bill Requiring Illinois Schools Teach LGBT History

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    I didn't get that at all from the article, what I took away from it is Bill Wakefield had many passions, but there were perhaps three that truly defined him.
    LOL, oops, I fixed the link.