Thread: Hen House of Wheaton

Hen House of Wheaton

New breakfast/brunch place located by the College Metra station. Mrs. Yoss and I will be trying it out this weekend and will post a review.

This is an interesting little commercial block of probably 10 storefronts, totally surrounded by residential and student housing (with Wheaton College campus off to the west). I'm never really sure what will survive there. There used to be a convenience store that you would think would be a winner with the college kid crowd as well as commuters looking for coffee. But it failed and was replaced with a resale shop which seems to be hanging on.

I'm not sure a breakfast/brunch spot is the answer. But I'll cross my fingers and look forward to your review. Maybe they could stick a barista in the corner with a separate entrance for commuters to pop in and get some joe to go.

The pizza place has been hanging in there. I seems like that area would have a good base of customers, but that space seems to turn over every year since Adele’s left. The YELP reviews have been mostly positive for Hen House, but they might do well to provide breakfast sandwiches that can be eaten on the train.

I'm assuming the Hen House replaced the taco place that was there?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesoter View Post
    Yes. The "gourmet" tacos were interesting but were $4+ a piece. Tough to sell street food at those prices unless you've got serious cachet, e.g. a Toda Madre.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesoter View Post
    Correct.

We went there on Sunday morning. Nice ambiance, it felt airy and bright. Staff greeted us right away, they went to seat us by the front door, which was drafty, but we requested a table by the fireplace, which was no problem. I ordered Crepes with a side of bacon, Mrs. Yoss the French Toast. Food was served within 10 minutes, but we were one of only four tables at the time. Portions were very generous, Mrs. Yoss could only finish on slice of the French Toast (each slice was an inch thick). We both enjoyed our choices. The server was very pleasant and checked on us often.

Overall, a very good experience and I would recommend checking it out.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Fire it up was there before. Very sad to see it go. Great place and even greater people. Still one in Naperville.