Thread: Taxpayers fleeced again

Taxpayers fleeced again

$10,327 = 45 days (link)

"A Republican state senator appointed to the Legislature to fill a 45-day gap is getting not only his base pay but also $1,270 extra to be minority spokesperson on a committee that hasn’t met since months before he took office and has no meetings planned.

Sen. Yadav “Nick” Nathwani of Glen Ellyn was sworn in Nov. 26 after being appointed to the vacancy left with the resignation of former Sen. Chris Nybo, R-Elmhurst, who lost the Nov. 6 election to Democrat Suzy Glowiak of Western Springs in the 24th Senate District.

In addition to filling out Nybo’s term, Nathwani is listed as minority spokesman of the Senate’s financial institutions committee. That committee hasn’t met since May 23. Nathwani will be out of office when Glowiak is sworn in on Jan. 9.

Base pay for legislators is $67,836 annually, and committee chairs and minority spokespeople get an extra $10,327 annually. For his 45 days, Nathwani will thus get about $8,360 in base pay and about $1,270 in pay for his committee position.

I asked Jason Gerwig, spokesman for Senate GOP Leader Bill Brady, R-Bloomington, if it was right for Brady to name Nathwani to the leadership post for such a short stint in the Senate and when the committee is apparently not meeting.

“Unfortunately, we don’t control the scheduling process of when committees meet,” Gerwig responded. “Maybe if we get a fair map that’ll change someday.”

Forum All Star
    So, you were compelled to repost this article.

We went over your hypocrisy for calling out Nathwani on this, without any knowledge as to how he got this, and comparing it to much larger wastes from local state legislators, such as Deb Conroy for taking undeserved pensions.

So, I checked with the article's author and found that Nybo was the minority spokeman for this committee. So, Sen. Brady basically plugged in Nathwani to the position that Nybo had, including the stipend. Nathwani didn't request anything. And, Gerwig's statement is crap. I feel that all committee stipends should be divided up and paid by meeting, not just money thrown at the wall. I certainly wouldn't figure you to do any homework and post committee stipend wastes all over the state government. You know that there is.

In my world, if the committee wasn't going to meet during this timeframe, which Sen. Brady could have found out, he shouldn't have named anyone and not spent the $1270. But, he did. I would suggest that Mr. Nathwani considers a charitable contribution with the $1270. I know that he didn't ask to be in the pension plan, despite the accusation on here.

Part of my beef is with your title for this thread. We are fleeced all the time. That's what I've spent a ton of time trying to expose for years. I haven't heard a peep from you on any of the thousands and thousands wasted by D 41. Were you griping about Breuder and his hundreds of thousands of outright theft? I don't remember a peep.

Your sub head with the $10,327 figure implies that he is taking us for that amount. If Nybo would have stayed in office, he would have received that. Would you have complained about that? So, I'm not sure what the heck your complaint is. Will you post any questionable monies received by Glowiak after she takes office? Costa Howard? Do you have a peep to say about the million plus that the biggest piece of garbage in the state gave Costa Howard? The monies that Costa Howard voted to waste while she was D 41 Board President? I don't recall comments on any of that.

It's your turn now. Time to whine, tell the world that I called you a name, email the forum admin, etc. Have at it.

Can't wait for all of us to meet up at Two Hound Red when they open in 2020. Will be fun to go back and forth on these issues.

Let me know the date so I can schedule a root canal that day.

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    We went over your hypocrisy for calling out Nathwani on this, without any knowledge as to how he got this…
    I posted the article which said how he got it…and I first called out the Illinois GOP, rightly so. Nathwani could have declined the stipend, he didn’t…thereby, he’s complicit.

…and comparing it to much larger wastes from local state legislators, such as Deb Conroy for taking undeserved pensions.
    I made no comment about pensions, other than they were irrelevant to facts in the article.

So, I checked with the article's author and found that Nybo was the minority spokeman for this committee. So, Sen. Brady basically plugged in Nathwani to the position that Nybo had, including the stipend.
    Pretty clear from the article that is what happened, thanks for confirming.

Nathwani didn't request anything.
    Speculation…who confirmed this?

And, Gerwig's statement is crap. I feel that all committee stipends should be divided up and paid by meeting, not just money thrown at the wall.
    Agree 100 percent.

I certainly wouldn't figure you to do any homework and post committee stipend wastes all over the state government. You know that there is.
    No homework was required, pretty clear the article’s point…GOP robbing the taxpayer’s by handing out stipends for work never performed. And yes, I know there is stipend waste…ya think maybe that is why I used the word “again” in the title?

In my world, if the committee wasn't going to meet during this timeframe, which Sen. Brady could have found out, he shouldn't have named anyone and not spent the $1270. But, he did.
    Bingo. Bravo. This is the singular intent of my post, and you have agreed with me.

I would suggest that Mr. Nathwani considers a charitable contribution with the $1270.
    Why is it appropriate for Mr. Nathwani to receive taxpayer money for no work or services rendered, and then give that taxpayer money to a charity? Not following the logic here.

Charitable contribution, charitable contribution, charitable contribution. Hey, remember when some people questioned COD Board president Kathy Hamilton’s hiring of Republican strategist Chris Robling and we were told not to worry because he was donating his net COD salary ($19,000) to charity…and those donations came from a taxpayer-funded paycheck and the college paid payroll taxes on his behalf with public money…and then when Hamilton got divorced, the court documents showed that Hamilton was secretly paying the college tuition of Robling’s son while Robling was employed at COD. I remember that.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...204-story.html

I know that he didn't ask to be in the pension plan, despite the accusation on here.
    Not by me.

Part of my beef is with your title for this thread. We are fleeced all the time. That's what I've spent a ton of time trying to expose for years.
    If we are fleeced all the time, and this is a fleece, (“In my world, if the committee wasn't going to meet during this timeframe, which Sen. Brady could have found out, he shouldn't have named anyone and not spent the $1270.”), the title of my thread is accurate.

I haven't heard a peep from you on any of the thousands and thousands wasted by D 41.
    Silence is not acceptance. Have I ever condoned waste in any form? I’ve never seen you post against bestiality, child abuse, Joe Piscopo or Velvetta. I'd never accuse you of supporting those or anything else you never posted about. Silence is not acceptance.

Were you griping about Breuder and his hundreds of thousands of outright theft? I don't remember a peep.
    Really? Try harder. I posted more negative articles and posts about Breuder than everyone else here combined.

Your sub head with the $10,327 figure implies that he is taking us for that amount. If Nybo would have stayed in office, he would have received that.
    Wasn’t implying that…just stating the facts. I wanted to post that actual amount of days worked for that amount, article seems to imply 5-6 days…but I don’t post things unless I have the facts to validate. I was going for the "It's nice work if you can get it" angle.

So, I'm not sure what the heck your complaint is.
    To quote you, “We are fleeced all the time.” Providing an example.

Will you post any questionable monies received by Glowiak after she takes office? Costa Howard?
    Sure.

Do you have a peep to say about the million plus that the biggest piece of garbage in the state gave Costa Howard?
    Legal campaign contributions? No.

The monies that Costa Howard voted to waste while she was D 41 Board President? I don't recall comments on any of that.
    Rarely, if ever, do I comment on D41 matters, I don’t follow and without knowledge, shouldn’t opine. I leave it to you and the others because you are better informed.

It's your turn now. Time to whine, tell the world that I called you a name…
    Thanks, yeah you did, not sure why you can’t address facts and leave out the personal attacks.