Thread: Downed Tree & Branch Pickup

Downed Tree & Branch Pickup

During the snow storm, a tree came down in our backyard. It was only this past weekend, when the weather improved and the snow and ice thawed, that I was able to cut up and remove the tree from our yard.

I phoned the village to request that the branches, put out on the curb, be picked up and disposed of. The villages reply is that I have missed the once and only special pickup provided directly after the storm. And the village is unable to accommodate removal and disposal of the branches now at my curb. The village wants me to make my own arrangements for disposal and pay for the service.

What are my tax dollars for if not for this type of service under these circumstances?

Any thoughts on who or what department head I should contact to have this resolved?

Sucks . . . . but . . . . . . . . . a tree fell on your private property. The VOGE gave everyone a one-time "gift" of "free" pick-up (SURPRISE: we're all paying for it). Unfortunately, you weren't able to take advantage of that. Your choices are to call a company that can snag it, or keep it solidly in place until the spring '19 pick ups start up and hope that the village doesn't notice your tree sitting on their property.

Agree with Clam. Same thing happened to me here in colorado. My town has branch/limb drop off once a month. I had to rent a uHaul trainer and take it to the place ($20 rental versus the $240 the local waste hauler quoted me.) Not sure if the township or dupage county has a limb/branch drop off you may be able to take advantage of. Otherwise, every week fill up your bin with branches and maybe they will be gone by spring....good luck!

Last page of the Dupage recycling guide has some yard waste companies:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Fu3VUKwIaxYq6v

Clarence, here is an idea. Purchase some twine, trim your tree scraps into smaller pieces, assemble into small piles, each Sunday night for the next three weeks, under the cover of darkness, locate Christmas trees at curbside, remove large portions and add to your piles to disguise them as holiday greens using the twine to hold them together. Drag them to neighbors curbsides and repeat.

Or, watch the curb next 3-4 Monday’s and offer 20 holiday greens to the underpaid Groot garbage man picking up the holiday greens.

So glad I do the curbside composting - I'm not much of a gardener, so I don't mind giving away my compostable garbage, but that bin is so great for random branches/yard waste throughout the year. I still take advantage of branch and brush pickup, but if I feel like trimming bushes on an off week - I can just toss the waste in the bin with the compost.