Thread: Snowmageddon November 2018

Snowmageddon November 2018

The roads were a mess early this morning, I think the plows just could keep up with the heavy snow fall. I saw at least a dozen tree branches downed by the snow/wind from last night. Many of the side streets are still a single lane, so cooperative driving with oncoming traffic is a must.

Hard to believe we are still in November and seeing a snow storm like this.

Next time you see a GEVFC member, thank them, 100 calls between 9pm last night and 9am this morning.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    The 76 year old maple in the ROW in front of our house did not fair well yesterday. About a third of the limbs of the tree are currently in our lawn. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    The 76 year old maple in the ROW in front of our house did not fair well yesterday. About a third of the limbs of the tree are currently in our lawn. Yikes.
    Been driving cross country all week and reading but not posting, but this one still has me puzzled. That maple in your row looked 68, 71 years old tops. I call BS on 76, please show your math.

My math may be wrong, but I know it was planted in 1943 (per previous village arborist). In 43, a large amount of Elm trees died of dutch elm and were replaced with maple and silver maple trees. Silver maple trees I believe should last 30-40 years (don't quote me), so that is why a lot of them are dropping branches. Our tree that was in the ROW of Marion was one of the biggest in GE (previous arborist said biggest, but there are a ton around that looked as big) and dropped a massive branch on our electric lines on a perfectly still day. It was held up by 300 feet of steel cable. They had to remove it because it was too hollow. When they cut it down, the trunk was hollow enough to fit 2 people standing in it. We found squirrel bones, a few dead mice, and 2 golf *****.

Yes, 2 golf *****. Wonder where those came from GEFan??? I knew you made one in, did you make 2 or did I make one?

= 75. Sorry, I was off one year.

#treemathishard

you cannot say B a l l s at this site. Golf B a l l s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    My math may be wrong, but I know it was planted in 1943 (per previous village arborist). In 43, a large amount of Elm trees died of dutch elm and were replaced with maple and silver maple trees. Silver maple trees I believe should last 30-40 years (don't quote me), so that is why a lot of them are dropping branches. Our tree that was in the ROW of Marion was one of the biggest in GE (previous arborist said biggest, but there are a ton around that looked as big) and dropped a massive branch on our electric lines on a perfectly still day. It was held up by 300 feet of steel cable. They had to remove it because it was too hollow. When they cut it down, the trunk was hollow enough to fit 2 people standing in it. We found squirrel bones, a few dead mice, and 2 golf *****.

Yes, 2 golf *****. Wonder where those came from GEFan??? I knew you made one in, did you make 2 or did I make one?

= 75. Sorry, I was off one year.
    Postscript to my post...or a reply I guess...you did have the math, and, you showed it. I wondered how you came up with 76. And lo and behold, you had the ***** to show it.