Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post

This is all for the kids. So let's think back. Who as a kid remembers their kindergarten teacher? Maybe their elementary school principal? Favorite high school teacher? Now, be honest. Who remembers their Superintendent?
    No one's wallet will ever forget PI Irwin.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    Good morning Ackerman. I would, politely, request you change your typeface or color of your responses in the text of my quote that you used. You have every right to say what you will, but I would hate for anyone to be confused that your response was part of my original quote. Also, I wouldn't want anyone to miss your nuggets of wisdom. (Sorry, can only be polite for so long)
    I have colored my responses to your garbage. Hope you didn't short circuit trying to be polite.

I would also agree that our kids will survive in any event, but I am concerned about the level of damage that can be done to the District within that 1 year interim period when the community would have no input on a rubber stamp Interim Super.
    So you are saying that Gordon is a rubber stamp super??? Because I don't recall the community having any input on him. I think the BOE might have held a focus group to gather feedback from the community of what characteristics they wanted in a superintendent, but I'm not even sure about that. And if they did was anyone invited or was it a hand picked group? I am not aware that the community as a whole was invited to meet/interview candidates in any form when Gordon was picked.

Can anyone weigh in on what happened with community when Gordon was hired?
    I'm sure there are different ways to handle the process so I'm not criticizing, just trying to clarify what has happened in the past.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    Here is Kurt Bucholz saying they are following the contractís review timeline.
    1st of all that is a post from another source not the District nor public statement or otherwise from a Board meeting. It is a limited, private group started by a current Board member and Administered by a failed slate candidate. Secondly, that statement was made just the other day. Third, as he so eloquently states, "His name is spelled Buchholz". Lastly, I believe we are waging the same war on 2 different fronts, so I will repeat what I have said there. I respectfully disagree with your take on this issue and we should leave it at that.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    I have colored my responses....... be polite.
    Thank you Ackerman. You have once again found favor in my eyes.

Thank you Ackerman. You have once again found favor in my eyes.
    Dinner at the usual place and time?

Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post
    So you are saying that Gordon is a rubber stamp super??? Because I don't recall the community having any input on him. I think the BOE might have held a focus group to gather feedback from the community of what characteristics they wanted in a superintendent, but I'm not even sure about that. And if they did was anyone invited or was it a hand picked group? I am not aware that the community as a whole was invited to meet/interview candidates in any form when Gordon was picked.

Can anyone weigh in on what happened with community when Gordon was hired?
    I'm sure there are different ways to handle the process so I'm not criticizing, just trying to clarify what has happened in the past.
    Stakeholder forums were held and the board picked leadership characteristics there were looking for.

According to 10/29/2012 meeting minutes, survey results and other items were shared by the search firm. Perhaps you could FOIA that info since it is not in the minutes:

minutes

Since most candidates already have jobs and/or don't want their current employers to know they are looking you typically don't see many sessions where the community will meet finalists. Boards that do choose to go this route will have some candidates bow out of consideration which limits your potential pool of candidates.

Forum Regular
    1st of all that is a post from another source not the District nor public statement or otherwise from a Board meeting. It is a limited, private group started by a current Board member and Administered by a failed slate candidate. Secondly, that statement was made just the other day. Third, as he so eloquently states, "His name is spelled Buchholz". Lastly, I believe we are waging the same war on 2 different fronts, so I will repeat what I have said there. I respectfully disagree with your take on this issue and we should leave it at that.
    First of all, why does the source of Mr. Buchholzís statement matter? Second, itís the same message he has said ad nauseum in all forums which makes me think youíre not really paying attention. Third, if someone misspells your name your reflex is to correct them. A seemingly simple name as mine has been misspelled a number of ways.

Finally, the group you reference was switched from Open to Closed (not Private, thereís a difference and it doesnít exist on that forum anyway) because a member of the media quoted a memberís post without consent. Out of an abundance of caution, the decision was made to change the Groupís status. And even then the conspiracy theoristís such as yourself (not saying you did this then) thought I was undermining the direction of the group.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    First of all, why does the source of Mr. Buchholzís statement matter? Second, itís the same message he has said ad nauseum in all forums which makes me think youíre not really paying attention. Third, if someone misspells your name your reflex is to correct them. A seemingly simple name as mine has been misspelled a number of ways.

Finally, the group you reference was switched from Open to Closed (not Private, thereís a difference and it doesnít exist on that forum anyway) because a member of the media quoted a memberís post without consent. Out of an abundance of caution, the decision was made to change the Groupís status. And even then the conspiracy theoristís such as yourself (not saying you did this then) thought I was undermining the direction of the group.
    Thanks again Kevine for your insightful input. I apologize and restate my position:
    1st of all that is a post from another source not the District nor public statement or otherwise from a Board meeting. It is a limited, CLOSED group started by a current Board member and Administered by a failed slate candidate. Secondly, that statement was made just the other day. Third, as he so eloquently states, "His name is spelled Buchholz".
    It matters, because it has not been stated as such before your site. And, since that statement has not been repeated by Kurt on your site, I have to assume it was an angry slip up. Am I wrong?

I was clarifying the spelling of Mr. Buchholz/s name for Mama (Yes, while poking fun at Mr. Buchholz's statement on your site: Guilty)

I would ask you to verify where and/or when any Board member has said, in a public forum, that they would be following the contractual guidelines set forth in Dr Gordon's contract. All I have heard is that negotiations are private. As long as you are on the righteous path of providing correct factual information, how about telling me why this Board is breaking with tradition and now "Following the contractual guidelines set forth in his contract" rather than announcing the decision on renewal and the hiring of a search firm, now. That portion of the process has no bearing on confidentiality. If you know as much as I do, which is squat, you would be asking the same question. Or would you?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    Dinner at the usual place and time?
    I will buy the crow, but you will have to eat it.

Forum Regular
    Thanks again Kevine for your insightful input. I apologize and restate my position: It matters, because it has not been stated as such before your site. And, since that statement has not been repeated by Kurt on your site, I have to assume it was an angry slip up. Am I wrong?
    I donít know, Lov. Why donít you ask him? I bet you probably still have his number in your phone.

I was clarifying the spelling of Mr. Buchholz/s name for Mama (Yes, while poking fun at Mr. Buchholz's statement on your site: Guilty)

I would ask you to verify where and/or when any Board member has said, in a public forum, that they would be following the contractual guidelines set forth in Dr Gordon's contract. All I have heard is that negotiations are private. As long as you are on the righteous path of providing correct factual information, how about telling me why this Board is breaking with tradition and now "Following the contractual guidelines set forth in his contract" rather than announcing the decision on renewal and the hiring of a search firm, now. That portion of the process has no bearing on confidentiality. If you know as much as I do, which is squat, you would be asking the same question. Or would you?
    In my opinion, I would argue that we were breaking the tradition of what the ISC provides which is what is built into his contract. And Riebockís most likely, too. Add on a group of people not used to getting their way, stir, and you have what weíre seeing now.

It's pretty easy to hire a search firm when someone announces they are retiring. The person retiring isn't searching for a new job or pissed off or whatever the case may be. I imagine if you are told 9 months in advance that you aren't being rehired, many people would finish out their contract doing the bare minimum. If that's the way the board is going, maybe they're concerned about that and would rather have someone phone it in from January to June instead of August to June.

Or... maybe they are actively negotiating during closed session. Maybe they are trying to set performance goals or salary parameters and they haven't reached an agreement on one or the other yet. He wants a raise, board says no. Board wants growth guarantees, Gordon says it's unrealistic. Etc, etc, etc. So, maybe the board can't say definitely that it is or is not renewing his contract.

Honestly, it's as if this vocal crowd has never had to fire someone or negotiate a contract with an employee ever before.

The IEA-NEA is now involved in the rally to save Gordon. From a non-41 friend:

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Mom View Post
    The IEA-NEA is now involved in the rally to save Gordon. From a non-41 friend:
    Typical Union. We should all be worried about a Superintendent that the Union thinks is the greatest. Why are they emailing Union members who aren't D41 teachers? Trying to bulk up their numbers tonight. Bob Bruno is the big Union guy. I wonder what hand he has in all of this?

Also the D41 Union didn't put this to a vote. The leaders just decided to start the rally and involve other districts. Do Unions typically call on people from other districts to help with a cause when they haven't even asked their own membership how they feel about it?

sure. Remember when all the Illinois teachers ran up to Wisconsin a number of years ago for a rally?