Thread: At what point...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar

At what point...

A quote from Mr. Clamato in another thread:

At what point do we just pull the plug on this whole thing? A temporary vacation or a permanent one? This site has become 90% worthless and the 10% that is actually beneficial doesn’t seem worth the money or effort . . . which is, admittedly minimal.
    I feel your pain.

This was posted on a thread that was closed, so none of us got to comment. So...

The band I ran a message board for pulled the plug due to a bevy of reasons (mostly out of control a-holes), but I hosted it on my website, so I owned it. I decided to let the knuckleheads still have their fun and took the band name off the site. But that didn't last long either. It was a total pain in the *** and ever time consuming. It was not worth the time. One knucklehead wanted to take it over and I said absolutely and never visited the place again.

I think this board could be fun, but only if you disassociated it from Glen Ellyn. Call it the GEKnuckleheads board or something.

If you and the admins have had enough, shutter the place or if you want to leave it, take the GE tag off it, remove all the political BS and just have one or two forums, not 26 like now. If you want a GE thread, have one but that is it. Easier to keep track of and monitor.

Good luck Mr. Clamato and the rest of the admins.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    I think I had 7 forums at my place and that was insanity. I then got it down to two 1) the band, 2)everything else. That would probably work here with 1)GE, 2) everything else. I did have a 3rd forum for banned knuckleheads could post on and only they could see if they got suspended. Nobody could see the forum except for the knuckleheads that got banned. It was their Escape from New York. Do whatever the heck you want and nobody would see it. I would delete all posts weekly in an automated way. I never looked at it. Only the banned users saw it and posted. If they got banned to New York prison, it was the survival of the fittest and only banned people saw it. No harm to any normal users.

Just some suggestions.

Not that I have a vote, but I say we pull the plug. I only keep doing this because the owners are my friends. I literally dread any time I need to come on as Moderator1. Everyone points fingers, but forgets there are 3 pointing back at them. People should take 10 minutes to look at a post before they send it and think about if they're acting like an adult, and if they'd say that to their Mom...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Think through this a bit more. Yes, running a forum can be a pain. I should know, as I've been a Mod and Admin of several of them. Mostly it was spammers that kept me up at night, but sometimes normal users that became enough of a pain that we had to pull the plug on them and block by IP# and other means. Cost of doing business. Maybe a couple more Mods with semi-admin blocking and lookup powers might be the answer. Vb has those options.

But... this forum is the only One Stop Shop(TM) option in Glen Ellyn where we can learn about the many governmental, school and social issues that concern many of us. How else are we going to learn what neighborhoods our lawn signs are disappearing from? Or Dist. 41 or Township abuses of power? How about Clam's restaurant reviews? *****ing on the forum about Park Blvd., Roosevelt Rd. and the TA Tunnel construction delays may actually reduce road rage a bit. Coveted YMCA district power outages? Yes, they may know about it, but this forum is how I learn about such things. How about the crimes not officially reported that seem to slip past the Coffee with the Cops meetings? We really need to learn about those to augment our neighborhood watch duties.

Remember how we changed Village government back when the "Vociferous Minority" term was tossed around? We have that as a username title for a reason.

There are just as many arguments to keep this place open. And active.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 10-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.

The time to do it would be at 5pm Tuesday, November 6th...lights out just like they do around Lake Ellyn on Fourth of July, just before the fireworks start.

The last 24 hours or so, I thought you guys took your toys and went home. I guess it was a glitch...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Paying GoDaddy on time is sometimes a real bother. I forgot for a whole week once, long ago. Even got a couple friendly reminders and a coupon code for a few dollars off if I paid up for two years instead of one, before a certain date. Thought the forum was D.O.A. Glad we're back up.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 11-05-2018 at 03:01 AM.