Thread: 2018 Change of Assessment Notice?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class

2018 Change of Assessment Notice?

Received letter today from Supervisor of Assessments regarding a 2018 change in assessment. $490 up, so not dramatic or out of whack, but just wondering if others got this as well. I'm SORO; reason in letter was Reassessment-Other.

Thanks!

Forum All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    Received letter today from Supervisor of Assessments regarding a 2018 change in assessment. $490 up, so not dramatic or out of whack, but just wondering if others got this as well. I'm SORO; reason in letter was Reassessment-Other.

Thanks!

If you're in Milton Township, and your "PIN" or Property Identification Number begins with "05", this applies to you:

DuPage County Assessment Status: 2018 Assessment Year

Township Township
    Lockout
    S. of A.
    Eq.
    Factor
    Notice
    Mailing
    Publication Publication
    Date
    Final
    Complaint
    Filing
    Milton
    (05 Parcel
    No. Prefix)
    09/10/2018 1.0383 09/19/2018 Glen Ellyn Suburban Life

Wheaton Suburban Life
    09/20/2018

10/22/2018

This chart was compiled to provide the following information:Township Lockout Date: The date the Township Assessor completed updating their assessment information for the current tax year.
    Supervisor of Assessments Equalization Factor: The factor individual parcels were multiplied by to adjust the weighted three-year average level of assessment to the statutory level. The factor is applied to both the land and the improvement portion of the assessed value. See Equalization Factor Calculation Background for more information.
    Notice Mailing: Owners of property who's assessments were changed by means other than the global application of an equalization factor are mailed a change of assessment notice. The date in this column refers to when the notice was mailed. During general reassessment years (2015 and 2019 for example), a change of assessment notice is mailed for each parcel.
    Publication: Name of newspaper that published the Assessor and Supervisor of Assessments individual assessment changes. If an individual parcel's assessment is altered by the application of a Supervisor of Assessments factor only, there will not be an individual parcel assessment included in this legal publication.
    Publication Date: The date the assessment changes were published in the newspaper listed.
    Final Date for Filing Assessments Complaints: The deadline for filing an assessment complaint with the DuPage County Board of Review for this Township.
    You have until 10/22/18 to appeal if you wish to fight the new number....

Yep, mine starts with 05 and I saw a couple of neighbors who also got the notice. Thank you very much for the detailed explanation - much appreciated.

wonder how many folks this affects and the impact on the upcoming D89 referendum....

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    wonder how many folks this affects and the impact on the upcoming D89 referendum....
    I had the same thoughts. I think in reality, at least for me, the reassessment would add just a few more dollars at most if the D89 referendum passes, and I am planning on voting for it. The Board, to me, has done a good job informationally and we haven't had an tax rate increase in 32 years. And, I have no children but do appreciate a good school system - one reason I moved to GE (from Elmhurst, which also has a pretty fine system as far as I could tell). Also retired on a fixed income now. But mileage can vary.

It will be really interesting watching the outcome of this and of course all the other races - I hope, however one choose to vote, they do come out and vote.

The Garage Mahal strikes back.

I tore down a detached garage and built a new attached one. The assessor is telling me that increased my assessed value by 80%. No ****, 80%!

Granted, it's a big garage - but 80%??

What firm is the DuPage equivalent of Mike Madigan's Crook County firm?

how many zoning laws did you violate going from detached to attached as well?

Forum All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    The Garage Mahal strikes back.

.. increased my assessed value by 80%. No ****, 80%!

Was that 80% on total assessed value, land and improvements?

You may just have a simple error. I know of one case in which a new construction improvement down the block and across the street was mistakenly applied to a home whose permit had been for a small addition. Permits and the cost of improvement declared on them are, obviously, the most common cause of individual reassessments. Although that particular error happened within the assessor's office, check to see what value was reported from the Village to the assessor so you at least have the initial input.

Depending on the assessor holding office at any given time, it has been possible to correct gross errors without going through a formal appeal. If you do a formal appeal, the process is fairly straight forward - in a closed room at County Farm Rd the assessor's office presents your case and the assessors position/rebuttal to your appeal, and I don't recall if it is two or three county employees; hear the case, ask any questions and then make a decision. Takes about a minute or two per case on average. A strong case is constructed, as I understand it, by using clear concise comps and specific legal language packaged for quick reading and maximum effect. I personally have never been a direct party to an appeal.

And yes, the assessor here is a surprisingly political office - but not necessarily in the ways people might think. The two biggest pressures on the office are, and first and foremost, taxing bodies (extremely demanding and very aware of the tax rolls with a ravenous appetite for blanket increases during the quadrennial). Second place place goes to commercial real estate holders with a heavy emphasis on small connected owners of buildings in central business districts. This last fact was writ large when the assessor's office made significant increases on undervalued property throughout downtown Elmhurst and was pummeled to political death and replaced by a friendlier face. In could be said that assessors are chosen by the political elite and ratified by the electorate, people do not 'run' for this office.

Good luck with it. By and large all indications are that homeowners get a fair, albeit structurally inconsistent, shake.
    Last edited by jombl; 09-26-2018 at 11:10 AM.

This was an increase from "Year Assessed Value 2017" to "Supervisor of Assessments EAV 2018". The 2018 Township Assessor's Value was a 73% increase.

The reason is "new construction complete: building recalculated". If anyone wants to give me the "Implied Fair Market Value" in cash, I'll hand over the keys.........I'll even knock off $10K for readers of the GEF

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    how many zoning laws did you violate going from detached to attached as well?
    I attached the garage specifically to meet zoning codes. This one-horse town limits you to 660 sq. ft. of detached garage. That's only like a 2.5 car garage! A direct assault on manliness, if you ask me.

So to get the 1,200 sq. ft. garage I required, I had to attach it. My testosterone levels are appropriately spiking but apparently it'll cost me almost double in taxes.

We did an addition a few years ago, and the new assessed value of the building was completely out of line. If I had to guess, they do some very rudimentary math to get to the new value. You should probably just go meet with the assessor's office to provide better detail on how the new building area/volume is being used (i.e. for cars, not people).

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    I attached the garage specifically to meet zoning codes. This one-horse town limits you to 660 sq. ft. of detached garage. That's only like a 2.5 car garage! A direct assault on manliness, if you ask me.

So to get the 1,200 sq. ft. garage I required, I had to attach it. My testosterone levels are appropriately spiking but apparently it'll cost me almost double in taxes.
    what was the foot print in sq. ft of the original house? if it went up by 80%, I'd guess you were at 1500 foot print and now with attached at 2700? Just talking foot print, not total sq ft inside the home.