Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Hijacking in Glen Ellyn XI

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    Son of an optometrist with a dusty shelf of five-year-old out-of-style frames? Online glasses sales are the way to go.
    Ha, no, my dad runs a showroom that sells bricks and mortar.

I've often wondered how many brick and mortar optometrists, who order lenses for their customers from off-site labs, might actually have the lenses made out of the country (like China) and are sent here. Could they be made in the same places that the online ordering uses?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Even if the lenses did come from the same place as on-line manufacturers, for me and my slightly complicated prescription I appreciated being fitted exactly, including which frames fit my slim nose bridge best. I had over the years both Varilux and Zeiss progressive lenses, slimmed down to avoid that coke bottle effect. And, as I mentioned, a few times over the decades the manufacturers provided glasses that my optician felt were not quite right and sent back immediately, before I even came in. With progressive lenses, I've read on independent websites that the fitting and measurement of pupillary distance is very exacting. I know Varilux was originally a French company and became global leaders for progressive lenses.

Again, I think for single vision, less complicated prescriptions, on line providers may work very well, just like every optician will usually say go to the drug store or Amazon to get simple readers in those pre-cataract surgery stages. It's for more complicated prescriptions that I feel a good optician physically seeing the individual can be of great benefit. Also, I admit, I love being able to pop over to the optician for a free frame adjustment whenever I needed one. I will say I would never request a free adjustment for an item I didn't purchase from a particular vendor.

PS - my optometrist gives me the prescription; I go to a separate optician for the actual glasses. I'm not sure all practices function like that.

I think you're right. For single vision stuff, places like WP are fine. They aren't reinventing the wheel, they are simply selling fashion. Their frames are no better, and likely worse, than most others. But for $95, you really don't care. If they fall apart in a year or you lose them, go buy another pair. I think they are perfect for kids who can't properly care for glasses. My youngest son . . . . I get him a pair there every 10 months or so.

Yoss, I presume you will be watching the new Catch-22 series on Hulu to watch your namesake?

What an amazing brave young woman!

https://twitter.com/realkentmurphy/s...246014464?s=12

USA Unother Shooting in America

Just another day

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Yoss, I presume you will be watching the new Catch-22 series on Hulu to watch your namesake?
    If you haven't seen it, it is quite good. If you like WW2 era pieces and/or dark comedies, this is a show to watch....

It’s on my list.

"Mood," "Woke" and "Lean in"...this is America, where we speak many languages that make sense, shut up already!

Viral today...You think the Redskins would pay him if he got hurt doing this?

From the Washington Post article..."Josh Norman, who has two years remaining on the five-year, $75 million deal he signed with the Redskins in 2016, is something of an adrenaline junkie. In previous offseasons, he has gone skydiving, surfed, snowboarded and driven a racecar at speeds greater than 150 mph.

It’s unclear whether Norman’s contract permits him to engage in such risky behavior. The Redskins’ website wrote about Norman’s latest adventure, but a Redskins spokesman said the team had no comment. Norman’s agent did not immediately return a message left by The Washington Post."

Side sad note, in 2 days, it will be 23 years since Glen Ellyn resident Matthew Peter Tassio was gored to death in Pamplona. RIP

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/14/w...-pamplona.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post

Side sad note, in 2 days, it will be 23 years since Glen Ellyn resident Matthew Peter Tassio was gored to death in Pamplona. RIP

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/14/w...-pamplona.html

I remember that as I was in summer school at U of I when that occurred.....

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    I remember that as I was in summer school at U of I when that occurred.....
    Still the only American to die running the event...

The Philadelphia United States Attorney, standing alongside the head of the Philadelphia ATF and the head of Philadelphia FBI snapped:

What I witnessed last night was true heroism by the Philadelphia police. But the crisis was precipitated by a stunning disrespect for law enforcement - a disrespect so flagrant and so reckless that the suspect immediately opened fire on every single officer within shooting distance. Only by the grace of God did they survive.

Where does such disrespect come from?

There is a new culture of disrespect for law enforcement in this City that is promoted and championed by Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner - and I am fed up with it.

It started with chants at the DA's victory party - chants of "F*** the police" and "No good cops in a racist system."

We've now endured over a year and a half of the worst kinds of slander against law enforcement - the Philadelphia District Attorney routinely calls police and prosecutors corrupt and racist, even "war criminals" that he compares to Nazis.

This vile rhetoric puts our police in danger. It disgraces the Office of the District Attorney. And it harms the good people in the City of Philadelphia and rewards the wicked.

The alleged shooter last night, Maurice Hill, is a previously convicted felon with a long rap sheet. We have plenty of criminal laws in this City - but what we don't have is robust enforcement by the District Attorney. Instead, among other things, we have diversionary programs for gun offenses, the routine downgrading of charges for violent crime, and entire sections of the criminal code that are ignored.

The criminal laws in this City - and especially the existing gun laws and drug laws - should be aggressively enforced in order to protect the public and the police. My Office is doing all that we can. We have prosecuted 70% more violent crime cases this year than we did last year, in response to the District Attorney's lawlessness. But it is now time for the District Attorney and his enablers to stop making excuses for criminals. It is time for accountability. It is time to support law enforcement and to put the good people of this City first.

The U.S. Attorney's Office, in conjunction with the Philadelphia police and our federal partners, is investigating the horrible events of last night and we are considering all options at our disposal. We will do everything that we can to support our brothers and sisters in the Philadelphia Police Department and ensure justice is done.

To the officers involved last night - those who were wounded and those who rushed to defend them - and to their families, I say thank you. The whole City thanks you. We owe you more than we can ever repay.
    Last edited by jombl; 08-16-2019 at 11:11 AM.