Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hijacking in Glen Ellyn XI

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was asked during the Supreme Court confirmation why her 57 direct hires as a federal appellate judge included zero African Americans:

In the 13 years since you went on the bench in 1980, you've not had a single black law clerk to my knowledge ... out of 57 such employees that you have hired. Even though your court sits in the middle of a majority black city, Washington, D.C. Now, some, if they took the broad language of Abner Mikva in that case, might call that a "manifest imbalance."

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah)

I do want to say that I have tried -- And I am going to try harder, and if you confirm me for this job, my attractiveness to black candidates is going to improve. ”

Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    An extortionate response; but true to her word, RBG did hire one African American over the last quarter century and now estimated 200 career hires.
    Last edited by jombl; 10-10-2018 at 01:06 PM.

The Glen Ellyn Historical Society is hosting its third annual Gingerbread House Contest. Last year's Grand Champion was the Glen Ellyn Police Department! (Now we know what they do instead of communicating to the public, they practice their holiday crafts).

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-30-story.html

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    IVoted.jpg

I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    IVoted.jpg

I did.
    I did today...initially "they" rejected my signature, asked me to resign...as I voted next person to the same "judge" got the same treatment...Georgia style politics creeping into GE?

#Votersupressionwithsignaturechallengesandarcanedi ebOldvotingmachinesalastatTemptatpowEr

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I got hassled once several years back about the signature. In fairness, the signature from my registration in the early 90's looks nothing like what I scrawl today.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    I did today...initially "they" rejected my signature, asked me to resign...as I voted next person to the same "judge" got the same treatment...Georgia style politics creeping into GE?

#Votersupressionwithsignaturechallengesandarcanedi ebOldvotingmachinesalastatTemptatpowEr
    I voted opening day - and, my judge did take a good hard look at my signature, which, too be fair, is way more scrawled than my original.

I do want to take a minute to thank all the judges and volunteers who are working very long days with little recognition unless things go wrong. And, yes, whether I agree with someone's politics or not, please get out and vote!

Another day, another mass shooting. Nope, everything is A-OKAY here...

The NRA is a terrorist group.

Another day, another mass shooting. Nope, everything is A-OKAY here... The NRA is a terrorist group.
    Yep...very sadly their solution of "stop a bad guy with a gun with a good guy with a gun" didn't work... again. Tragic.

This is why we can't have nice things.....

Another day, another mass shooting. Nope, everything is A-OKAY here...

I’m out of the country and just getting this, was the shooter an NRA member?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I’m out of the country and just getting this, was the shooter an NRA member?
    Just Id'ed him...not sure of NRA membership but all too common story...
    28-year-old white male, used a legally purchased Glock .45 calibre handgun, he was a veteran who may have suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), multiple run-ins with law enforcement in recent years... rinse and repeat

does it matter?

https://www.theroot.com/the-nra-is-a...ion-1823042189

Check out NRATV and then dial up some ISIS propaganda films. Not much of a difference there.

Like this one for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGO...ature=youtu.be

And no, I have no idea if this gentleman was associated with the NRA. I was just making a statement due to the gun used. He was an ex-marine. He used a glock, which I do not think people hunt with, and the police said they had a couple run-ins with him. He passed a police check on his mental health, so who knows. I would like to see the government analyse the brains of these shooters after they kill themselves. I fear it would be like all these Ex-NFL players with all the brain trauma after the commit suicide. I had a friend that was a marine and was happily married. We would go to bible study every Saturday for about a year. He had some drug issues as a kid, but cleaned himself up and went into the marines. Saw some time in Iraq. Out of the blue, I hear from another member of our bible study that he commit suicide leaving his wife and 2 kids. I had just talked to him 3 days earlier and he was happy and seemed to be in great spirits and in a happy part of his life. Son just got a football scholarship. Very sad stuff. We need to be a lot better as a country in the aspect of getting help for soldiers and other people that are having metal health issues. RIP James.

And before we start a battle about the NRA and blah blah blah.

I have 3 police officers in the family. So it is a debate often at family functions. I have absolutely nothing against people owning guns. I just want the NRA to man up and say, you know what, maybe we have gone a little too far with the hitler youth camp approach in our little organization. How about we back off and let the majority of the country get what they want, sensible gun laws. I mean, when over 80% want that, that is a pretty good indication that something is wrong. I for one hate guns and will never ever fire one, own one, or even hold one. But I most certainly do not want to take all of them away from people. You want a gun, that is fantastic. If you want an AR-15, there is no law stopping you even though I will think you area a lunatic. But I will not get on my soap box and ***** you out for owning it. That is your thing. I see absolutely no reason for those to be sold, but others think differently. Until this country can get all that straightened out, your freedom to own one is as equal as mine thinking I have absolutely need for one.

I’m pretty certain labeling the NRA and it’s members terrorist is going to get them to come around to more gun control.