Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hijacking in Glen Ellyn XI

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Back in the day, thursday night was DEN (Dad's exercise night, basically open gym basketball) at Lincoln. Ben Franklin had one too. Afterwards we would re hydrate at Tap House.....
    Fun, wondering if this is an offshoot...lot of the guys were dressed nice...big, big group.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Fun, wondering if this is an offshoot...lot of the guys were dressed nice...big, big group.
    Maybe they were there to determine what should be done at the Gieshe's site.

Two good stories as new lawmakers arrived on the first day of the 116th Congress, one is this...

Returning Republican Rep. Brian Mast welcomed two other combat veterans to the US House of Representatives, freshmen Republican lawmakers, Reps. Jim Baird of Indiana and Dan Crenshaw of Texas. What the tweet didn't mention is that there are three Purple Hearts and four Bronze Stars earned between them.

And a bit of history that goes to the core of their country, the first two Native American women elected to Congress hugged on the House floor Thursday after being officially sworn in. Sharice Davids, a Kansas Democrat and member of the Ho-Chunk Nation, along with Deb Haaland, a Laguna Pueblo from New Mexico, became the first Native American congresswomen to serve in the House. Their elections serve as a significant milestone for the indigenous community in America, who only became citizens in 1924, and were only given voting rights in 1948.

Both good stories.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Note to Glen Ellyn car owners: Most cars now have something called "Locks"

The GEPD just tweetied out that there have been 6 car break ins TODAY and all 6 were UNLOCKED.

Do GE residents have an issue with locks? I believe the GEPD twittered out a chart showing that 95%+/- break in's last year were on unlocked cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Note to Glen Ellyn car owners: Most cars now have something called "Locks"

The GEPD just tweetied out that there have been 6 car break ins TODAY and all 6 were UNLOCKED.

Do GE residents have an issue with locks? I believe the GEPD twittered out a chart showing that 95%+/- break in's last year were on unlocked cars.
    Another note to Glen Ellyn car owners: Roundabouts ain't difficult

First time dropping off this morning since underpass reopened, the Roundabout rules haven't changed folks...although seemingly everyone forgot how to use.

Yield to vehicles in the circle. Pretty simple.

Another another note to Glen Ellyn car owners: Turn signals are fun, use them, enjoy them

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    But I cannot stop in the middle of it and drop 3 kids off?

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    But I cannot stop in the middle of it and drop 3 kids off?
    That is drop-off etiquette and not rules-of-the-road, but, yes, you can join the other 10-15 morons each morning that pull that maneuver...or should I say, womaneuver?

Eastbound and westbound traffic on Crescent feels as though they have the right of way. Not certain how to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Eastbound and westbound traffic on Crescent feels as though they have the right of way. Not certain how to fix that.
    Agree...watching the YouTube videos to find a simple one to post, I notice both the Yield signs at each entrance and the dashed line pavement striping...going to see what is in place tomorrow morning...maybe the GEPD, now that they are Twitter comedians, can post educational GIFs too...ya know, goofy stuff the kids are hip to. :roll eyes:

A simple, "Yield to vehicles in the circle" sign could do the trick, maybe?

Forum All Star

Having lived in roundabout countries for over a decade, my opinion is that people here are just a very long way from knowing how roundabouts work.

Here's a hint; people in roundabout countries simply drive into them if they find it safe - it is not a question, for them, of giving a "right of way" and acquiescing to someone else. You enter if you can safely, that is the real rule. If you can't, you don't. That is a backwards way of thinking for those of us steeped in our driving culture here.

If you find yourself stressed because someone else is seemingly "doing it wrong" and not giving way to let you in - it is you who are doing it wrong.

Most roundabouts have a dominant flow where traffic often barely pauses before following into the circle...and most roundabouts are considerably larger and don't have the serious grade differences that are found on the side feeders merging onto Crescent. In many ways I don't really consider this a true roundabout (especially as you can drive straight thru it a 60mph), but by the measures of flow and accidents it seems to work as good as one can expect for a people that otherwise do not see or use any roundabouts at all around here.
    Last edited by jombl; 01-08-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Eastbound and westbound traffic on Crescent feels as though they have the right of way.
    The current problem I've witnessed might be better explained by rewording Clamato's point... Traffic in the roundabout feels as though they have to yield the right of way to eastbound and westbound traffic on Crescent. That is what I witnessed this morning, drivers in the circle that were stopping to allow drivers to enter...almost rear-ended one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    If you find yourself stressed because someone else is seemingly "doing it wrong" and not giving way - it is you who are doing it wrong.
    Nope.

Illinois Rules of the Road
    A rotary or roundabout is an intersection where traffic travels around a central island in a circular, counter-clockwise direction.Vehicles entering or exiting a roundabout must yield to all traffic including pedestrians and bicycles.

Forum All Star
    (One video limit, I meant this for my above post.) Clam, here's how the UK teaches it. Notice the flow and complete onus on you the driver, not "the other guy doing it wrong":

I had to watch it twice to make sure, but, not once does the instructor say "yield". It's all about taking the gaps, whenever available.
    Last edited by jombl; 01-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    Yep - is the case every time I drive that.

Off topic/ontopic - traffic - Glen Ellyn - Main St/5 corners, by Walgreens, another area that people at last minute do not know the lane(s) usage and move left or right. (even though there is signage).

Forum All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupechennel View Post

Off topic/ontopic - traffic - Glen Ellyn -
    Northbound Park Blvd at the south side of Roosevelt Rd, along the Shell station - it doesn't seem to line up intuitively with the straight-thru signage and lane markings.

I've often seen cars trying to readjust and slow or merge halfway across Roosevelt after they realize too late that the one lane on the other side won't fit two cars side by side...