Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice story...

A nice story...

New thread for stories like this...

Teacher gifted new car (link) — Daily Mail

"The CEO of a black hair company surprised her daughters' teacher with a brand new car after learning the woman took multiple buses to get to and from work every day.

Courtney Adeleye, the CEO and founder of The Mane Choice hair care products, said she had to step in and help when her husband told her that a teacher at their children's school didn't have reliable transportation.

Adeleye and her husband, who is a medical doctor, went out and bought the unnamed teacher a shiny, white new car and had it delivered to the school."

Interesting backstory, it apparently started as a home school by the CEO/founder and expanded from there.... maybe it's time that Huntsville Christian Academy got around to bumping up salaries.

And an interesting back story of the CEO/parent who gifted the car...

This Beauty Entrepreneur Is Going To Great Lengths To Give Back To Her Customers (link) — Forbes

"Courtney Adeleye has a big heart. She believes that true success comes when you give to those who can’t reciprocate. Her transition from registered nurse to founder and CEO of the multi-million dollar healthy hair care company, The Mane Choice, may seem surprising but if you look deeper, you can see a common thread. Service is her modus operandi. And her vessel has evolved from nurturing the physical aspect of the people she encounters to helping to build their emotional, aspirational and self-motivational strength.

Growing a company from the ground up isn’t an easy task and the struggle was..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    "The CEO of a black hair company
    Time for us to pool our capital together and start a company for the ignored blonde, brunette and redheads of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Time for us to pool our capital together and start a company for the ignored blonde, brunette and redheads of the world.
    Right? Not sure which story makes me feel more depressed, the above or two 20 somethings baking snack bars out of their parent's kitchen and selling the company less than 5 years later for $600 million.

A community devastated by a wildfire sends messages to the couple whose trailer started it (CNN)

"A community devastated by a deadly wildfire in Northern California has a message for the couple whose trailer started the blaze: It's not your fault.

The Carr Fire ignited on July 23 near Redding after a trailer got a flat tire and its rim scraped the asphalt. The sparks that shot out from that minor incident started what is now the eighth-largest wildfire in state history. The fire blazed a fiery path along Highway 299, lighting up dry brush and residential areas, and killing at least seven people.

When Redding resident Rachel Pilli read about the tire failure, she decided to reach out to the trailer's owners with a message of compassion. She posted a message on social media asking if anyone else wants to show their support. About 100 letters poured in -- and they're still coming."

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    thanks for posting, and what a great bunch of people who helped - I hope I'll react the same way if ever faced with a situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    thanks for posting, and what a great bunch of people who helped - I hope I'll react the same way if ever faced with a situation like this.
    Welcome...the one lesson from that story, however, is that one needs to constantly be current on their CPR training...CPR training from 20 years ago is vastly different from what they teach now...nice skill to have...glad she was there.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Welcome...the one lesson from that story, however, is that one needs to constantly be current on their CPR training...CPR training from 20 years ago is vastly different from what they teach now...nice skill to have...glad she was there.
    One thing is that the mouth to mouth isn't 'required' anymore (nice if you can do, though). I was trained at work, with latest update this spring; also how to use an EpiPen if needed and a defibrillator. Ideally you'd be able to practice often enough that it becomes muscle memory; I never got to that point at all. FWIW, Illinois is a good Samaritan state, I believe - you won't face legal issues if you've received Red Cross training and are basically trying your best to help as I understood it.

I thought it was interesting to learn that apparently all the staff at the GE library have received defibrillator training (maybe CPR, too).

Pink Stops Concert to Comfort Grieving Teen Whose Mother Died: It's 'Going to Be Okay' (link) People

"Pink‘s kindness and motherly instincts shined brightly after the singer took time out of her recent concert to hug a grieving teenage girl.

During her Brisbane, Australia, show on Tuesday, the star, 38, stopped singing in the middle of her setlist after 14-year-old Leah Murphy’s sign caught her attention. “My name is Leah – I’m 14 years old. I lost my beautiful Mom last month. I would LOVE a hug…Please!” the young fan’s sign read.

After reading the sign aloud to the rest of the audience, Pink immediately came down from the stage to find Leah. Along with a sweet hug, the mother of two took selfies with Leah and autographed her arm."

Another good one...

Heartwarming: When This Subway Employee Had To Walk 20 Miles To Work Because He Couldn’t Afford A Car, The CEO Of Subway Drove Alongside Him To Cheer Him On (link)

"If you think all corporate CEOs are heartless monsters who only care about their companies’ bottom lines, this story is going to make you think again: When a 27-year-old employee at Subway had to walk 20 miles to work because he couldn’t afford a car, the CEO of Subway drove alongside him to cheer him on.

This beautiful story began when Dylan Derkson of Blairsville, Georgia told his manager at Subway about how he often had to walk to work from his home 20 miles away when his wife needed to drive their car to her night-shift job at another restaurant across town. It wasn’t long after that when Dylan got the surprise of a lifetime: He was setting out for his 20-mile trek one night around midnight when he saw Subway’s CEO waiting in front of his house in a rented Range Rover, honking his horn and waving a “You can do it, Dylan!” banner with a photo of Dylan walking along the side of the highway on it. The amazing CEO then began driving next to Dylan at a 2 mph crawl, calling out inspirational phrases to boost his employee’s morale as he made the long, difficult walk to Subway."

From good to bad....

Homeless veteran sues couple who raised $400K to help him (link)

"The homeless good Samaritan who gained national fame after the stranded motorist he gave his last $20 to raised more than $400,000 in his name is now suing her and her boyfriend, claiming the couple is committing fraud by taking more than half of the money for themselves. On Tuesday, attorneys for Johnny Bobbitt Jr. filed the lawsuit in the Superior Court of New Jersey in Burlington County against Kate McClure, 28 and Mark D'Amico, 39.

Last year, Bobbitt, a 35-year-old Marine Corps veteran who was living on the streets of Philadelphia, gave McClure the last of the cash he had panhandled that day after she ran out of gas on Interstate 95, McClure wrote on a GoFundMe fundraiser she created on Nov. 10.

At first, McClure showed her gratitude to Bobbitt by providing him with food, clothes and some cash. Then, more than 14,000 people who were moved by Bobbitt's generosity and his unlikely friendship with McClure donated over $402,000 to the fundraiser, but Bobbitt is now back on the streets and worried that he may never see the bulk of the money, according to the lawsuit.

The couple initially provided Bobbitt with "some of the monies contributed" but have declined to provide him with access to the rest, according to the lawsuit. Bobbitt alleges that the couple has spent more than half of the funds raised, treating it like their "personal piggy bank to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford," his attorneys wrote."

and that is why I don't give any money to $0.50 Tony....

Colin Kaepernick Not Stopping, Donations Roll Past $1 Million (link) — Forbes

"Colin Kaepernick finished what he started when he wore an NFL uniform, but there's more to come. The teamless quarterback completed his promise to donate $1 million and his actions have spurred even more activism.

He remains a free agent today. Through all of this, though, Kaepernick kept doing what he said he'd do. He sent food to Somalia. He hosted a "Know Your Rights" camp in Chicago. With $100,000 left to donate he gave $10,000 away for 10 days, getting matching donations from some sports stars and celebrities. In total, Kaepernick's donations reached 41 different charities."

Pretty cool.