Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor Ave Underpass

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Just watched the video with the engineer's update. I thought I understood him to say that the concrete headwalls will be stained. If so, stand by for either a) the faux stone will look even worse or b) the faux stone may look a little better.

How long can the stain last before it will need to be reapplied due to weathering effects?

No idea, but given concrete is pretty porous may last a while before it gets hit with a power washer cleaning graffiti.

usually you need to redo every 2-3 years....especially the sealant....that keeps water away from the wood and makes the deck last longer....

Open tomorrow

It’s open. It’s like walking into a sewer pipe. At least it’s equally as hideous regardless of whether you live north or south of the tracks. No preferential treatment there. Great job Glen Ellyn.

I heard the fireworks at midnight celebrating the tunnel's opening. I think I missed quite a party over there.

Finally got out today, after getting mostly over this rotten cold/cough/sore throat thing that kept me away from the time clock for the majority of the week. The tunnel was my destination.

First impressions. So what is to keep a small-brained wayward driver from thinking that the round tunnel on the right is for northbound cars? Even a small SUV will be able to leave the roadway easily (with no curbing in the way) and pilot completely through and not even scrape the side mirrors. It is that large. And no bollard spiked into the sidewalk to stop a vehicle at the entrance of the tunnel? Who didn't think of placing that safety measure in place to prevent incidents of driving into pedestrians entering the tunnel?

Drainage. I guess we'll have to wait for the first of the 100 year floods in 2019 to determine if the tunnel surface can shed water faster than it can drain in. The tunnel level is pretty much at grade, or slightly below grade. I didn't see any storm sewers inside or around the pedestrian tunnel.

I had thought that the evenly spaced 6" holes in the steel rings at the top that make up the tunnel sections were going to be for recessed lighting. I was wrong. The lights within are strung somewhat haphazardly across the top with dangling wires and lamps. Perhaps the lighting job isn't fully finished? They hang down and make easy targets.

It is LOUD! Kids were screaming at the top of their lungs to see just how loud it can get in there. At least the screaming would drown out train noise if you're walking through with kids in there. The same kids were bouncing toys off the walls. Glen Ellyn has a new playground.

Next I need to drive through there (not the round tunnel) with a borrowed fire truck to see if the width seems appreciably wider.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 01-03-2019 at 05:38 PM.

I like the fact that the traffic light seems smarter. It can't be coincidental that the light changed to green just as I pulled up two days in a row at 6:30am (no cars waiting on the other side). It's nice not to have to wait out an entire light cycle when it's not busy. The wait was typical in the middle of the day.

Nice photo 58, captured it all!

I would also like to fly a drone through the thing at, say, 40 mph. That is, if I had a drone.

EDIT: Oh, here's some more...

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...th-two-tunnels

Quote Originally Posted by from above story
    In the spring, sod will be placed on the parkway and permanent tunnel lighting will be installed, among other finishing touches. Concrete headwalls that stand at each end of the pedestrian tunnel -- measuring 12 feet in diameter -- also will be stained to "look like a natural stone," Village Professional Engineer Rich Daubert said in an update to trustees in December.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 01-03-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Too steep an angle to skateboard on the walls in there me thinks. Maybe not. Not sure. Any of you have a child that can handle a board well and have them check it out before me and my 52 year old body tries it?

Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    I like the fact that the traffic light seems smarter.
    Big +1. Noticed this in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    I like the fact that the traffic light seems smarter. It can't be coincidental that the light changed to green just as I pulled up two days in a row at 6:30am (no cars waiting on the other side). It's nice not to have to wait out an entire light cycle when it's not busy. The wait was typical in the middle of the day.
    tis a shame no one realized you didn't have to spend the cash on the pedestrian tunnel to do this...

Pedestrians are now safe to move about this town from North to South and vice versa. That is a good thing.