Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Taylor Ave Underpass

So, you are serious? Where did you see this?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Village e-newsletter.

Members of the Environmental Commission will be hosting a presentation featuring artists from the Chicago Public Art Group on Wednesday, May 22 at 7 p.m. at the Main Street Recreation Center, 501 Hill Avenue, Room 210. The event offers the opportunity for residents and businesses to share ideas for an art installation at the new Taylor Avenue pedestrian underpass

It's not enough that the trains that stage above the tunnel are splattered with ALL types of graffiti (lude comments, phallic symbols, gang tags, etc.). No, that's not enough. So the geniuses that run this town decide to take it one-step further by making it permanent. Lovely. The house adjacent to the tunnel that just spent a hundred thousand + remodeling and who had worked cooperatively with the Village during the installation isn't going to be happy.

My wife & I have numerous times discussed how cool it would be if Glen Ellyn took a page from basically any city in the world and allowed an artist to craft a mural somewhere near the underpass, either on the south side of the tracks, or in the tunnel.

Some of you guys need to be a little more open-minded, or get out into the neighborhoods in the city to see how public art is allowed to enliven otherwise completely boring brick & concrete walls. There are literally hundreds(if not thousands) of murals in the city. To look at how they can transform an otherwise dull public space, check out some of the more notable mural series such as the Rogers Park Mile of Murals, the Hubbard Street B Line, or the south side of the 16th Street rail line embankment.
    Last edited by japeters0525; 05-17-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Here's a prominent mural from the Roger's Park Collection you rave about. It's just a block or so from Sheridan at the Jarvis El stop.

The urban canvas is quite differant from the sub-urban or rural. Note too that this and other folk art found in the inner city was organic and driven by the need to overwhelm and reclaim random graffiti blighted walls.

It remains controversial and is not universally loved or well received even in those neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

Here's a prominent mural from the Roger's Park Collection you rave about. It's just a block or so from Sheridan at the Jarvis El stop.

The urban canvas is quite differant from the sub-urban or rural. Note too that this and other folk art found in the inner city was organic and driven by the need to overwhelm and reclaim random graffiti blighted walls.

It remains controversial and is not universally loved or well received even in those neighborhoods.
    So is your issue with the mural, or the deteriorating concrete supports in front of it? Your passive aggressive post doesn't make it clear what your particular issue with that mural is, but I do like how you selectively chose an image from a wet, grey, winter day of one particular mural that is fronted by some decaying posts.

I like to read the board to pick up nuggets of information about things going on around town, and I've generally resisted the urge to post because of the overwhelmingly negative tone of the vast majority of posts here. Thanks for reinforcing my general observations.

The village is being creative & trying something new that is universally practiced all over the world; why not try it in Glen Ellyn?

We getting a Banksy?

Is Wyland still doing his marine mammal wall murals? I wouldn't mind a pod of painted dolphins inside the tunnel!

Quote Originally Posted by japeters0525 View Post

The village is being creative & trying something new that is universally practiced all over the world; why not try it in Glen Ellyn?
    A more subdued, natural and bucolic area would be appropriate and in keeping with the character of the neighborhood. A potentially harsh and garish work of urban folk art would never work, indeed I know of no work in the areas you referenced as emulatable that could.

I'm familar with murals around the world, I've marveled at the power of them in Belfast and 'Derry in person during the troubles and witnessed the cheeky brilliance of Banksy in London. I've even seen a small few that could stand as works of art. But I have never seen anything, ever, anywhere in any suburban situation that had any real presence, and cannot recall any non-urban "works" that were in a neighborhood location as proposed here. None.

You shouldn't have taken this opposition personally, it won't be you drawn up on a wall 12 feet tall in spray paint.

My suggestion is to craft a substantive argument as to why we should urbanize that viaduct. Perhaps you could reply with images you think are more representative than the one you yourself held up first and referenced as an ideal.

Is there something in Hinsdale or Winnetka? Carol Stream, Schaumburg? Put some flesh on your proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    A more subdued, natural and bucolic area would be appropriate and in keeping with the character of the neighborhood. A potentially harsh and garish work of urban folk art would never work, indeed I know of no work in the areas you referenced as emulatable that could.

I'm familar with murals around the world, I've marveled at the power of them in Belfast and 'Derry in person during the troubles and witnessed the cheeky brilliance of Banksy in London. I've even seen a small few that could stand as works of art. But I have never seen anything, ever, anywhere in any suburban situation that had any real presence, and cannot recall any non-urban "works" that were in a neighborhood location as proposed here. None.

You shouldn't have taken this opposition personally, it won't be you drawn up on a wall 12 feet tall in spray paint.

My suggestion is to craft a substantive argument as to why we should urbanize that viaduct. Perhaps you could reply with images you think are more representative than the one you yourself held up first and referenced as an ideal.

Is there something in Hinsdale or Winnetka? Carol Stream, Schaumburg? Put some flesh on your proposal.
    You could have just said: "I don't like it."

Is there a yard sign protest in our future? Save the Viaduct?

Right On!

Quote Originally Posted by japeters0525 View Post
    My wife & I have numerous times discussed how cool it would be if Glen Ellyn took a page from basically any city in the world and allowed an artist to craft a mural somewhere near the underpass, either on the south side of the tracks, or in the tunnel.

I agree. Too many curmudgeons on this board.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alxyz View Post
    I agree. Too many curmudgeons on this board.
    Starts at the top...trolls and negativity. Forum is a cesspool.