Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor Ave Underpass

Taylor Ave Underpass

If Park Avenue () construction was an annoyance, this one is going to be a TON of fun with the start of the school year and all Fall...those West drop-offs going to be SO MUCH FUN!

The Taylor Avenue Underpass will be closed beginning Monday, August 13. Take note that the Underpass will be closed to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic throughout the duration.

"Construction of the Taylor Avenue Pedestrian Tunnel project, located approximately a half mile east of downtown Glen Ellyn’s Central Business District, is anticipated to begin in late August. The project, located on the east side of Taylor Avenue at the existing underpass of the Union Pacific Railroad West Line, will create a grade-separated pedestrian crossing of the railroad for safer and enhanced bicycle and pedestrian accommodation. Additionally, it will improve vehicular maneuverability through the existing underpass by removing the sidewalk and maximizing the roadway width. This element is particularly relevant for access of public safety vehicles.
    Construction is expected to take approximately four months and is anticipated to be complete by then end of 2018. As a result, full closure of the existing tunnel will be required through the duration of the project with detour routes posted to route traffic around the work site."

gee, you think it would have made more sense to do this over the summer.....

Won't the noise disrupt classes at GW?

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    Won't the noise disrupt classes at GW?
    No, the 150 plus trains a day will drown out that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    gee, you think it would have made more sense to do this over the summer.....
    Railroads don't give a **** about anybody else's schedule. I've no inside knowledge on this project, but I'll give 5-1 odds on the railroad being the main reason this is happening at a stupid time of year.

I find the parking lot renovation at Ackerman to be a lot bigger pain in the @$$. This town sucks.

silver lining - my kid's walk to GBW was bumped over 1.5 miles due to a closed underpass. So, for as long as it's closed, she could take the bus (though she said she'd rather walk)

Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    silver lining - my kid's walk to GBW was bumped over 1.5 miles due to a closed underpass. So, for as long as it's closed, she could take the bus (though she said she'd rather walk)
    Great kid. I know a Clichétte in my home who will work really hard every 5th day to be ready by 6:45 so I can drive said Clichétte up the hill rather than drop curbside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Boy View Post
    I find the parking lot renovation at Ackerman to be a lot bigger pain in the @$$. This town sucks.
    I hear ya. #whitepeopleproblems

Another boring Friday in Glen Ellyn...

Boring machine arrives at Taylor Avenue underpass project. Halloween pranks are always fun teens, tip that thing on it's side, grab a case of Mountain Dew and some Doritos...road trip to China!

My favorite part of this whole thing is the very precise "drill here" marks in blue chalk!

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    Sorry, I have to bring this up again, because the thought process here just boggles my mind.

All thi$ work being done and they couldn't have made it two lane$? What a wa$te of money. This project $hould never have taken place for just a walking tunnel. It $hould have been for a $econd lane and walking tunnel. What a half a$$ed project. It i$ like having quadruple bypa$$ $urgery and only cleaning up 2 of the 4 arterie$ into the heart. "We are gonna Spend all this money opening you up and only fix half the problem."

/back to the music thread.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    My favorite part of this whole thing is the very precise "drill here" marks in blue chalk!
    Don't tell anyone, but I erased the circle 3 days ago and redrew it 3 feet more to the west...

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Sorry, I have to bring this up again, because the thought process here just boggles my mind.

All thi$ work being done and they couldn't have made it two lane$? What a wa$te of money. This project $hould never have taken place for just a walking tunnel. It $hould have been for a $econd lane and walking tunnel. What a half a$$ed project. It i$ like having quadruple bypa$$ $urgery and only cleaning up 2 of the 4 arterie$ into the heart. "We are gonna Spend all this money opening you up and only fix half the problem."

/back to the music thread.
    I'm going to assume you've never done any railroad engineering before... It's not as easy as it looks, to put 2 lanes in would not only of cost a fortune, but required more than twice the work and someone would probably lose their home.

To tag on to what I said above. Right now the underpass is only one "axle load" wide (less than distance between axles). If they were to widen it, they have a lot more load on that bridge. It changes the way it's rated, inspected, blah blah blah.