Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Good

Common Good

Common Good aims to create new cocktail culture in western suburbs — Chicago Tribune

"When Mike Melazzo was growing up in Glen Ellyn and Wheaton, the two cities weren’t exactly alcohol-friendly. With Wheaton College’s dry campus and the large traditional Christian community, alcohol consumption was generally discouraged.

But in the last few years, he’s noticed a cultural shift in his hometowns. At a pop-up Melazzo hosted at The Beer Cellar, he even served someone who worked for Wheaton Bible Church who came in with his wife, proudly admitting that they loved Manhattans and wanted to learn how to make them better.

Now, Melazzo (formerly of Mott St) and his partners, Chad Hauge (beverage director of Longman & Eagle) and Alicia Hauge (catering and events at Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits, and married to Chad), are opening Common Good, a cocktail bar right across from the Glen Ellyn Metra station. They hope the bar will become ground zero for a blossoming cocktail community in the suburbs.

“This is an opportunity to..."

Common Good is slated to open mid-August.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Two different frozen cocktails from this place are available this weekend at the Beer Cellar if anyone's interested in a sneak peek.

August eh?

I'm assuming Clam is an investment partner in this venture.

Just read on Beer Cellar Facebook page that Common Good opening has pushed to September

I automatically add 3-4 months on any "announced opening" for new restaurants/bar/food establishments in GE an then assume another 6 on top of that.

GE history has shown that is an accurate assumption

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Just read on Beer Cellar Facebook page that Common Good opening has pushed to September
    What year? Bloodhounds red-eyed redneck brew pub and candle shop said they were opening in Spring...two years ago.

So the sidewalk in front is all torn up, what’s that about? They still going with a September opening?

Just a guess, probably doing something to make the front door accessible.

You’re probably correct.

I was hoping for an outdoor seating area, but given the proximity to GWHS, just a dream.

NEBF-You were correct, handicap access ramp is in. I wonder if they will still make a September opening?

I heard they had to do some water line work. The ramp may have been two birds with one stone. By the way, the ramp looks very narrow.

New Common Good Cocktail House in Glen Ellyn to offer specialty cocktails (link) Suburban Life

"The owners of Common Good Cocktail House hope those who enter the cocktail lounge and boutique spirit shop will feel right at home. "We want this space to be an extension of our living room," said Chad Hauge, one of the co-owners of Common Good. "It's about bringing people to the space and giving strangers a spot to sit next to each other and enjoy a drink together."

To create that sense of togetherness, the furniture inside the establishment includes a 17-foot-long upholstered bench. Chad Hauge co-owns the establishment with his wife, Alicia Hauge, who also serves as director of operations for Common Good. Mike Melazzo is another co-owner.

Common Good is at 560 Crescent Blvd. in downtown Glen Ellyn, across the street from the Metra train station. It is expected to open Sept. 15.

They tried out their..."

Good thing I asked. I think Mrs. Yoss and I need to check it out