Thread: D41 paid over $10,000 in penalties for pay raises over 6%

D41 paid over $10,000 in penalties for pay raises over 6%

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2018...ver-6-percent-

What we paid in penalties--

https://i.dailyherald.com/public-ser...h_trsList.html page 4

From my FOIA request, who received the 6% plus increases and who was Board President when these were caused

Glen Ellyn Dist. 41
    When & BOE Pres
    Hayward, Linda
    March 2014/Sam Black
    Karl, Theresa
    June 2011-Termed Employee
    Kennelly, Juli
    March 2012/Sam Black*
    Harte-Nause, Patty
    March 2012/Sam Black*
    Root, Claudia
    March 2012/Sam Black*
    Pfaff, Karen
    March 2012/Sam Black*
    Foley, Georgianna
    Spring 2013/Sam Black
    *These individuals submitted retirement letters during the 2008-2012 contract when retirement incentives were calculated and applied over several years.

So, to summarize, these penalties were incurred from the contract that was overseen by then Board President Terra Costa Howard, now running to be a state rep. Also on the board at this time, and still is, Erica Nelson. Sam Black was Board President during the time that these people retired, but as I've stated before, he and Dan Smith negotiated the next contract which substituted a cash payment for retirees instead of this 6% retirement travesty.

Do not forget that D 87 still has this 6% clause. And one of those responsible is Mary Ozog, who is looking to be on the DuPage County Board.
    Last edited by ackerman; 07-06-2018 at 11:58 AM.

FYI, the board would have to approve these retirement payments, not just one board member. I think the vehicle for this was either the contract or voting on the personnel report.

Also, Sam was not board president until May 6, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2018...ver-6-percent-

What we paid in penalties--

https://i.dailyherald.com/public-ser...h_trsList.html

So, to summarize, these penalties were incurred from the contract that was overseen by then Board President Terra Costa Howard, now running to be a state rep. Also on the board at this time, and still is, Erica Nelson. Sam Black was Board President during the time that these people retired, but as I've stated before, he and Dan Smith negotiated the next contract which substituted a cash payment for retirees instead of this 6% retirement travesty.

Do not forget that D 87 still has this 6% clause. And one of those responsible is Mary Ozog, who is looking to be on the DuPage County Board.
    It is no suprise that Jeff Cooper is again trying to blame me for something, but this one is too funny not to respond to.....

D89 apparently paid $6500, D87 $5300, Villa Park Dist. 45 $28000, Queen Bee #16 $41000, West Chicago #33 $69000, and #1 on the list Elgin U46 at $436000. So, $10000 is a lot of money, but clearly no where near the level other districts paid out, even in neighboring districts....

Dan Smith and I were the BOE representatives on a contract negotiation that apparently ended this practice. I think that was a good thing.

If I were still a Illinois resident, I would want Ms. Costa Howard to answer for her vote on the previous contract that incurred the penalties.

I wonder how much $$ it cost D41 to honor this particular FOIA request??

If you re read my post, I wasn't blaming you. The list with your name was what I copied from my FOIA result. That's why I mentioned that you and Dan had rid us of that policy. But, you go ahead and blame me for supposedly blaming you.

You would try to say that 41 wasn't nearly as high as Elgin, etc. $10,000 wasted is $10,000. But, you go right ahead and try to justify or rationalize it.

Costa Howard, another lousy Board President, should answer for her part in this.

You, and Erica Nelson, another lousy Board President, have both questioned FOIAs and the costs involved. Those of us that believe in oversight of the biggest taxing body on my tax bill know that there is a bigger cost when no one looks into these issues and spending. Florida's loss is our gain, Sam.

......So, to summarize, these penalties were incurred from the contract that was overseen by then Board President Terra Costa Howard, now running to be a state rep. Also on the board at this time, and still is, Erica Nelson. Sam Black was Board President during the time that these people retired, but as I've stated before, he and Dan Smith negotiated the next contract which substituted a cash payment for retirees instead of this 6% retirement travesty....

If you re read my post, I wasn't blaming you. The list with your name was what I copied from my FOIA result. That's why I mentioned that you and Dan had rid us of that policy. But, you go ahead and blame me for supposedly blaming you. Florida's loss is our gain, Sam.

I did re-read it. You did point out that Dan and I were on the negotiating team that changed the 6%.... but it was hardly a compliment.

Never the less, I apologize.

Sam Black was Board President during the time that these people retired,
    This statement still is not correct. The only one who retired during Sam's tenure as president is the first one on the list.

The info that I posted was directly copied from the FOIA results that I received from the district. If it is not correct, then D 41 has it wrong.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Black View Post
    I apologize.
    🤯 I knew I sensed a disturbance in the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    勞 I knew I sensed a disturbance in the Force.
    It's interesting that you weighed in, Kevin. At least he apologized. You've owed me one for over a year. You never even stepped up to tell me what you were doing to me or why. Heck, you even let in the guy from Indivisble GE.