Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Intelligentsia Cup event July 28

https://www.tobedetermined.cc/journa...-cup-the-guide

"TOUR OF LAKE ELLYN

Over-simplified summary: bat-**** crazy. So much fun.

The Race: Lake Ellyn is a bonkers course in an absolutely gorgeous residential neighborhood West of downtown Chicago. The course starts with some fast chicanes that require handling confidence, a short kicker to stress the legs before taking a 120 degree turn back and through a traffic circle (a little traffic furniture in a crit is always a good time). The second half of the course features a fast little descent before tossing in a 180 degree turn and a few greater than 90 degree corners before another very long finishing stretch, this time with a very slight rise (less so than Elmhurst). If it sounds wild it is - but it is also a brutally fun course to race with plenty of opportunity to make life painful for those at the back. Lake Ellyn Park is a beautiful venue with plenty of shade if another heat waves hits Chicago for this year's Intelligentsia Cup.

Everything Else: For food there were a few vendors on site last year though we headed to downtown Lake Ellyn post race where we had some great burritos from Javi's Burritos with several other options to choose from as well in the area. We have also been told that Maize + Mash, Fire + Wine, and A Toda Madre are all worth checking out."

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    That was a fun read. I think they meant "headed to downtown Glen Ellyn..."
    Love the exaggerated elevation graphs. Makes it look sooo much more dangerous (I mean bat-**** crazy).

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    That was a fun read. I think they meant "headed to downtown Glen Ellyn..."
    Love the exaggerated elevation graphs. Makes it look sooo much more dangerous (I mean bat-**** crazy).
    No doubt Al Gore's info graphic folks were involved...

The path along Lake Road is a complete mess. Hope they have the debris well off the roadway by the 28th. There goes my background for some of my photos.

Everyone is free to donate to the Tour of Lake Ellyn Foundation (a registered 501(c)3 ) in order to help defray the costs associated with the event. Net proceeds go to the GE Food Pantry.

So, the event is a win-win for everyone.

Click the "DONATE" button to send some dough via PayPal. Receipts will be generated post race day.

www.touroflakeellyn.com

And don't forget, new this year, a beer garden at the boathouse serving Alter Brewing Company selections and run by your friends at The Beer Cellar. Beer, Bikes, and . . . . . well, just Beer and Bikes.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Didn't attend last year, so help a newbie out. What's the process/etiquette for getting to the boat house area (or anywhere on the inside of the course)? Does one have to cross the course at designated areas?

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Didn't attend last year, so help a newbie out. What's the process/etiquette for getting to the boat house area (or anywhere on the inside of the course)? Does one have to cross the course at designated areas?
    Yes and no. If you are mid-course, common sense dictates that you look awfully carefully before crossing the street. If you're at an intersection, someone will guide you. Probably the best place to park would be the Metra lot east of Park and walk over via Crescent to Ellyn and through to the park.

We still need volunteers. This group has always been great at setting aside our online differences and volunteering. Please help make this event a success.

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e4eacae292-tole

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    out last night playing with a new lens...

tole.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    out last night playing with a new lens...

tole.jpg
    guess we know who stole the sign....

Nope, that was placed perfectly by Mr. Clamato. Even had it level and all that.

This new lens can only take b&W photos? What's up with that?

yes, after my son uses it. He sets the picture style to Monochrome and I just download them wirelessly to my phone now and do not import into Lr. He got his middle name from a very famous Edward that took photos of toilets and green peppers, so he likes b/w.

RAW is your friend. Then anything goes. I've got my IR body set up to preview B&W with a curve to higher contrast, to kinda see what the pic might look like, but always DL the RAW (with the B&W recipe) and then highly tweek it from there. Otherwise full 16-bit (really 14 bit) RAW, always, for any shot.

The xD bodies that have dual slots (The 5's and 1 series) can send the pre-finished picture style'd JPG to one card, and the RAW to another. The xxD bodies don't have that same functionality, but should be able to send BOTH file outputs to the same card, as an option in camera setup as RAW+[ ]L. The shooter, unless they dig into the menus, won't notice the difference since by default, the preview always shows the JPG representation with the picture style added.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 07-26-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Forum Regular
    I know there will be a beer tent this year...will there be food at the event as well?